what kind of snake? Poisonous?

Visitor outside the kitchen window this morning. Pictures through the window. When I went outside it spotted me quickly and escaped up one of our mango trees. My worry is our kids play in the garden and the wife climbs the other mango tree for its fruit.

Anybody know what type of snake and if poisonous?

Can't help too much describing it as I'm colour blind but I'd say it was bright green and probably yellowish under belly, but don't rely too much on my eyes.post-19652-0-04040200-1429150314_thumb.jpost-19652-0-08766300-1429150398_thumb.jpost-19652-0-54942200-1429150463_thumb.j

Common misconception,snakes are not poisonous,but they can Venomous.

confirm ,Golden tree snake,don't bother it and it will be no problem,if they spot

you they will be off like lightening,very fast.

regards Worgeordie

It's a Golden Tree snake. Not sure about harmless to humans though,biggrin.png One climbed my transformer pole and shorted out two phases on the HT side, cooked itself and caused 50k damage inside the house.

They think the poles are some sort of tree with something humming at the top.

Here is his picture.

post-22250-0-78887800-1429237031_thumb.j

It also looks a lot like a water snake, not venomous, do you live anywhere near a Klong or stream or water source?

We do live next a klong and fish fields.

This is a confirmed water snake living near me.

The only good snake is a dead one.

Snakes serve a very useful purpose in the eco-system in that they feed on rats and mice amongst other things. Unless they are a direct threat to humankind, leave them alone. And if you don't know what your about, also leave them alone!

Wifey was trying to have me kill a harmless Keel Snake a while back. A gave her a lecture on conservation!

Golden tree snake. Mildly venomous, rear fanged but not dangerous to humans unless you are allergic. Very fast and will bite if cornered. I've been bitten at least three times over the past 16 years trying to catch one in the house before a Thai came in with a bamboo stick and tried to kill it destroying everything that it was near. The new cover for my air con was 3500 baht after the neighbour helped my wife with one in the bedroom!

It's a Golden Tree snake. Not sure about harmless to humans though,biggrin.png One climbed my transformer pole and shorted out two phases on the HT side, cooked itself and caused 50k damage inside the house.

They think the poles are some sort of tree with something humming at the top.

Here is his picture.

Cannot eat it only half cooked tongue.png

I'm with the Thais on this one. I'm well aware of the snakes purpose in our eco-system but if one is in my house or direct threat to me, I will kill it.

I HATE snakes!

They're not beautiful or exotic at all.

That said, I'd like to have a wife that can climb a tree. That's awesome!

Thais think all snakes are venomous and act accordingly except those who think every thing live is edible and act accordingly. One sober point of observation. One of our staff killed a confirmed Malaysian it Viper (Very deadly venomous) and of unpredictable temperament. If I had seen it alive I would have thought it was a young Burmese python and been interested but not frightened. Guiding Rule No 1: If you do not know REALLY what that snake is, not just guessing, handle it ONLY with a long broom or a long bamboo pole and your back to an escape route

Edited by The Deerhunter

Snakes are okay where they belong - not in my house not on my property!

Early one morning i went to draw the curtains in the lounge, saw what I thought was a scarf lying at the bottom of the curtains. Went to pick it up - it was a five foot long cobra! I have e the pictures to prove it! It's dead now!

Snakes eat rats. Rats carry disease. There is nothing with having snakes around. They have a valid place in our ecosystem.

Your right unfortunately God or Budda has not created us all equally which can be good or bad. I think snakes should be left alone.

Not one of you have gotten it right. I have posted many times about these snakes

They are the EEBEE GEEBEE Snake endemic to only Thailand . They have very unusual habits . They like dark areas ,

Many a foreigner has found them in their pockets. If you stick your hand in while the snake is in waiting you have problems

Try and get that baht coin and they will strangle your fingers and like an anaconda wrap around your arm

They have picked up their habits from woman in Thailand . Best when you see one just run the other way

They probably cannot run as fast as Thai woman to a Farang

Snakes eat rats. Rats carry disease. There is nothing with having snakes around. They have a valid place in our ecosystem.

I've never quite understood this, at least when it is used to justify really seriously dangerous stuff. Snakes are cold blooded, so they don't eat much for their size. A Malayan Pit viper might eat a rat every few weeks. If you invented a rat trap which 1) killed a rat every three weeks, and 2) would cost a human their life or health if they stepped on it, do you think you could get it licensed for use?

A good cat will kill rats and mice all day every day, and if cats become a problem you can shoot them with a .22 rifle. Nobody in their right mind would introduce seriously venomous cold blooded creatures as a solution to a vermin problem.

I'm 99% sure that its a golden tree snake judging by its colors, head shape and pattern on the head. Mildly venomous with a bite like a bee sting unless you have some allergy. It is a flying snake. I often see them in my garden and elswhere in Phuket. They are very good at climbing trees by which i mean a nearly vertical tree. They tend to feed on geckos and other snakes. I find them to be very curious and interested in what is happening and I'm sure I've seen one or two rise up vertically from behind a wall to look directly at me and looks just like a natural stalk of a plant. When It realises that I've seen it, it starts rocking back and forth like its in a breeze and it increases its rocking till it disappears behind the wall and is gone. I like these snakes around my garden

post-45020-0-07962800-1429276811_thumb.j

post-45020-0-43460800-1429277785_thumb.j

Snakes are good to eat, well at least some. Don't ever try to eat a Cottonmouth and when skinning rattlesnake watch out for the "musk" gland at the rear. Cut into it and it will ruin the meat much like the musk gland of a deer or elk or gator if you don't clean your knife asap. I know American snakes, but Thai, nope. Cobra's come in so many color variations it is often hard to tell until too late. If I know non "venemous" (PC bullshit) it can leave, if I don't it dies. Pretty simple. I had a spitting cobra that never did it's thing on the back wall and it looked me in the eye. I backed down, in the states it would have very dead, very quick. When it decided to leave it was twice as big as I thought but I knocked it off the wall into the neighbors yard with all the never shutting up yapping poddle mix mutts. Heavenly quiet for 2 days. Yep, snakes have a purpose. No tree hugging city boy here.