364 people killed during '7 dangerous Songkran holidays'

webfact

Quite a lot of accidents during Songkran (especially in Pattaya) are caused by idiot farangs who decide that they will carry on throwing water by the bucket load into the faces of oncoming motorcyclists days after Songkran has finished, having been on the receiving end of this utterly stupid act on more than one occasion, I can tell you it isn't pleasant, and is extremely frightening, especially when the rider wears glasses like I do, last year the latest I got drenched whilst riding was on Soi Buakow on the 26th , also while riding along Pattaya Tai I followed a baht bus which had several young German on board, all armed with super soakers, again days after it was supposed to have ended, one guy pointed his soaker at me and I waved at him not to and pointed to my glasses, but the still sprayed me right in the face, the guy was laughing out of the side of the baht bus as I went by at the traffic lights, he wasn't laughing quite so much though as my fist struck the side of his face as I passed the bus, Im not proud of this but it sure felt good at the time, which again was some days after Songkran was supposed to have ended, I never ride a day either side of Songkran but you should be entitled to feel safe after that but sadly you are not.

I used to enjoy Songkran when it was just a one day thing, now you dread it, at least most of the Thais stick to just one day of water throwing

Edited by Furfoxsake
  • Like 1

A 13% increase. So much for a reduction target. Evidently too many Thai drivers/riders get more stupid by the year, not less.

As do those in charge if they believe that the same tired policy of a few tents by the side of the road and the setting up of lines of cones will have any tangible effect on the carnage.

I have only done just over 200k for the Songkran period and have seen many(about 6 or 8) of those newly erected tents at the side of the road complete with the line of obligatory cones down the middle of the road. Now forgive me if I am mistaken but I thought they were there so the poor old copper could sit out of the sun and keep an eye on the naughty peoples driving.Maybe even stop a few of them as they slow down for the cones.There was only ONE manned.The rest just stood there empty. Am I missing something here----Dougal??

I think it would be a safe bet that this figure would be more then doubled if they counted the number of people lying in Hospital, in a Coma who will die over the next week or so!!

I think you might be right. I am sure they jiggle the statistics. Road deaths figures can be lowered dramatically if they redefine the description of a road death. A road toll death could be recorded where people actually die on the road at the scene of the accident. Those who are injured and carted off to hospital and subsequently die can be victims of so called "accidents", which are not necessarily linked to road accidents and are recorded as such.

The road safety operation center claimed motorcycle driving and driving under the influence were the main causes of road fatalities during the holiday period.

"Motorcycle driving (sic) is a cause of road fatalities" ? Let's make that "Idiots riding motorcycles........"

I ride a bike...and I'm still alive.

blink.png

Idiots driving motorcycles without helmets or proper protection...Darwinism in al its splendour....

Edited by off road pat

How many people are normally killed in a 7 day period? Without anything to compare it to, 364 is meaningless.

If you believe the WHO and a Thai Govt Official at a press conference two Songkrans ago the death toll is an average of 500 per week.

If you believe the stats put out over Songkran it is actually safer on the roads during the so called 'deadly days'.

"The death toll increased by 42 deaths, compared to the same period last year, the centre added."

another year, another great success for the RTP. Now all we need is the TAT press release to tell us what a boost it has been for Thailand's image overseas....

How many people are normally killed in a 7 day period? Without anything to compare it to, 364 is meaningless.

Normal is 70 people dying a day on Thai roads. So the death toll would be 490

in a standard week. So Songkran has saved 126 Thai people. Now times 52 weeks

for the year if projected out, so if they held Songkran year round Thailand could save

6552 people a year........... This holiday should use the term 7 safety days. No

frigging idea why the government keeps calling the the Dangerous Days, as stats

do NOT bear that out....