700 officers to patrol beach during Songkran finale

Rimmer

700 officers to patrol beach during Songkran finale

n1Songkran-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Nearly 700 police, city officials, military and volunteers will patrol Beach Road as Pattaya’s Songkran celebration makes its splashy, but more-heavily restricted, finale Sunday.

Deputy Mayor Wattana Chantanawaranon and representatives from the Provincial Waterworks Authority and Pattaya Cultural Council announced details of the city’s “wan lai” festival and laid out guidelines and restrictions for the April 19 water fight.

Echoing the mandate of the National Council for Peace and Order, city officials told revelers to dress appropriately and not provocatively. The military is also frowning on “indecent gestures” including “dancing that considered inappropriate to Thai culture.”

Alcoholic beverages cannot be sold or consumed along Beach Road, use or sale of high-pressure water guns is outlawed as are pickup trucks will water tanks in the bed.

In general, officials said they want Songkran to adhere to Thai tradition.

Beach Road will be closed from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. for the annual anarchy, and water curtains will be placed on Beach Road at the Dusit curve for a distance of 200-300 meters and in front of Soi 7 all the way to Central Festival Pattaya Beach a distance of 30 meters.

The PWA will offer water at 10 locations along the beach, from the Dusit Curve to Chaimongkol Temple.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/700-officers-to-patrol-beach-during-songkran-finale-46300#sthash.rXg1aCI6.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-04-17 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

"Alcoholic beverages cannot be sold or consumed along Beach Road"

Wow - gonna be a whole whack of disappointed bar owners. And banning pick-ups with "water tanks" ? Every bluddy truck I see every year has at least 1 large garbage can/water tank in the back of it. They may as well just block all traffic there for those 12 hours !

• Like 2

So much for the so-called drought-throw away the water no problem-tomorrows another day.

You are correct. The waste of water, with the "authorities" looking on and supporting it, is confusing at best.

So much for the so-called drought-throw away the water no problem-tomorrows another day.

Wow, yes. That'll make a big difference compared to all the farang homes and tourist hotels maintaining swimming pools for the convenience of a few people as well as the golf courses. At least it seems quite a few farang help the potential water shortage by never bathing or laundering their clothes.

stock-footage-bangkok-april-young-boy-shStop it kid. You're wasting water I need for my swimming pool that no one uses.

Villa-1-home.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

I thouroughly enjoyed songkran this year.

I usually hide and catch up on work. I overheard my daughter say she knew I wouldn't go so pointless asking. This made me decide not to be an old fuddy duddy. I smiled from ear to ear for many hours. Everybody was fun and pleasant. It was a nice day. There were no high powered hoses and although not the safest day to ride a motorbike the traffic was so slow that most were close to walking pace reducing the danger.

I had people coming to me and my son asking for a hug and politely asking to put talc on my face and then wishing me a happy new year.

I have read loads of posts about it getting worse every year by the same people that say they lock themselves in for a week. How do you know it's getting worse? Perhaps you could suprise yourselves next year and join in.

Well done to the police for getting rid of the pipe guns they are too pwerful and indeed dangerous for motorbike riders.

I thouroughly enjoyed songkran this year.

I usually hide and catch up on work. I overheard my daughter say she knew I wouldn't go so pointless asking. This made me decide not to be an old fuddy duddy. I smiled from ear to ear for many hours. Everybody was fun and pleasant. It was a nice day. There were no high powered hoses and although not the safest day to ride a motorbike the traffic was so slow that most were close to walking pace reducing the danger.

I had people coming to me and my son asking for a hug and politely asking to put talc on my face and then wishing me a happy new year.

I have read loads of posts about it getting worse every year by the same people that say they lock themselves in for a week. How do you know it's getting worse? Perhaps you could suprise yourselves next year and join in.

Well done to the police for getting rid of the pipe guns they are too pwerful and indeed dangerous for motorbike riders.

I totally agree, it COULD be fun, for ONE DAY, instead of chaos for a week.

I can see smiling ear to ear for 4 to 6 hours ONCE, (which was exactly my first Sangkran experience) but to put up with it 12 hours a day for a week is just stupid.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 2