@richard's Pub/restaurant

Ijustwannateach

A friend and I wanted to meet up for a quick drink after work, and we were tired of the same old same old... so having both heard of this new joint on Soi 2 (frequently recommended also by Jdinasia in this forum), we decided to try it out one Friday evening.

We got there about 7:30pm or so, and it was still fairly empty. We were greeted by a cute waiter and seated near the front of the restaurant. He took our drink orders quickly and efficiently and left us to talk.

The place is decorated in a subdued pattern of contrasting colours, retro-60s. The light is just about right, not too bright but not too low. The sound system is also good quality- unobtrusive but pleasant, and the music was dinner-jazzy. So far, so good.

A tall, older gentlemen greeted us- I presume the owner- and reconfirmed that the waiter had taken our drink orders. Said waiter returned with our drinks just about this time and were we ready to order food? We were. I had the fried red snapper and fried rice with mixed seafood, a pineapple shake (they were out of banana, my first choice), and an orange swiss chocolate cake for dessert. My friend had fish&chips and a slice of apple pie, along with orange juice.

The service was quick and efficient. There was an even cuter bartender. As the evening trundled along, more and more people seemed to be crowding into the place, without very many leaving. There was one table with a Japanese tourist and his retinue of moneyboys (who were flirting with other customers as well), but largely the clientele were foreign, um, gentlemen of a certain age. Yet, the service never diminished. This may largely have been the result of the presumed owner keeping his eagle eye on proceedings while leaning confidently on the bar.

Portions were fairly generous, and I was almost too stuffed for dessert. The fried rice was up to normal high standards in Thailand, with a generous helping of prawns. The red snapper was a trifle on the dry side but very tasty. And thank goodness I wasn't too stuffed for dessert, because the cake was a decadent chocolate delight, and also quite large. The orange flavour was subtle and not cloying.

The atmosphere was quite pleasant until one of the more antediluvian gentlemen at an adjacent table began smoking up a storm- no one had lit cigarettes until he came, and I wonder if he was one of those types so old and fossilised one simply can't ask them not to smoke. I didn't, anyway, though it hastened my exit from the restaurant, which was a pity, as the place was very pleasant to hang out in.

Prices were a tad high. For the fish, rice, cake, shake, and two bottles of water my part of the bill came to 550B, which is equal to the price of many better quality meals, even buffets, in BKK. However, as I said, quality, service and atmosphere were excellent. This probably won't become a regular hangout for me, but certainly a more than decent addition to pubs of its "gay gentleman's local" style in the neighborhood.

I offer the above as a candidate submission for the "Gay Bars" pinned thread (if the subforum mods wish) and for discussion on this thread.

"Steven"

"There was one table with a Japanese tourist and his retinue of moneyboys (who were flirting with other customers as well),"

I remember going to Joe Allens in London with a group of gay LBC presenters and at the next table there was that guy from 'Allo Allo' with a blonde boy, who must have been all of about 16.

There are 3 owners there (not necessarily on the same night. A Brit a Yank and a Canuck. <you can tell them by the accents :o >

The food is often VERY good and the drinks are the best I have had in the gay area of silom.

As it is a PUB ... I expect the smoking <then again I smoke :D >

What makes this place outstanding is that for a PUB it is quiet enough to have a convo in and it pulls a fairly good number of Thai guys that are past their 20's.

<Note --- if it was the Japanese guy I know from there, One was his Boyfriend and the others were hangers-on and were getting ready for a night out at DJ ---- careful about the assumptions :D >

Edited by jdinasia

Getting back to the topic, it was a pleasant evening. I'm sorry I hadn't stopped by there before now. Does anyone know if they do a "bottle keep" or "bottle storage?" [you buy a bottle and get free mixers, they keep it on site until you're finished or sometimes until a certain time limit]

I pretty much avoided Silom while living in BKK <much prefer the Thai gay areas> However @Richards is a place I went to fairly regularly.

They have a mailing list with announcements about parties / theme nights etc etc

From the e-mail I got today

September 8 - Friday - 8:00 - 11:00 pm Aloha Night: Beach Party Luau Buffet fund raiser for Bangkok Pride Festival

*** and, on the same night ***

September 8 - Friday - 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm Long Yang Club Night (second Friday of every month)

The Long Yang Club Thailand is the local chapter of Long Yang Club, the world's largest network of gay Asian/non-Asian groups. This is a social group offering friendship and support to men from East and West. A link to their web site is at the bottom of this page.

Wear your 'Island Outfit' and get a free Blue Hawaii drink

Friday's Buffet is a fundraiser for BKK Pride

post-4271-1157524598_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdinasia

I bet they'd be willing to host a Gay People in Thailand --- TV Pissup if you BKK guys got one planned

Only if PB and JD will be doing a Miss Tomato meets Mr Super Banana show on the bar top at @Richards while Boybrat and Papa are the fluffers.

Steven "Iwannateach" will be the boy in the middle of the "Fastest wank" competition consisting of Endure, TopTuan and Dukkha. He will even provide the toliet papers to the winners... :o

TC .... I don't live in BKK anymore .... and I pick my drinking partners with care!

Life is too short to drink bad scotch with folks that you'd not invite into your home!

However .... I am sure drinks in Phuket would be on offer should you make it down to Nation

I bet they'd be willing to host a Gay People in Thailand --- TV Pissup if you BKK guys got one planned

Only if PB and JD will be doing a Miss Tomato meets Mr Super Banana show on the bar top at @Richards while Boybrat and Papa are the fluffers.

Steven "Iwannateach" will be the boy in the middle of the "Fastest wank" competition consisting of Endure, TopTuan and Dukkha. He will even provide the toliet papers to the winners... :D

Ugh, are comments like that really necessary? :o

Steven "Iwannateach" will be the boy in the middle of the "Fastest wank" competition consisting of Endure, TopTuan and Dukkha. He will even provide the toliet papers to the winners... :D

Ugh, are comments like that really necessary? :o

Actually, I thought it was a cute and funny post. Although if you knew what I looked like, you might just as well have cause for alarm! :D

It's the bitter, joyless need to attack and be disagreeable that drags threads down, more's the pity. TC ain't like that, I think. :D

"Steven"