What have to do for opening a computer repair shop at Thailand?

Hello folks!!

I need your advice to open a computer fixing shop at Thailand (May be doing bit design and printing work by my wife). I understood that have to register the business name and license at Bangkok but got couple of questions as well.

I am foreigner having Thai wife and one year old baby. I have been working for past 8 years over here and my contract is going to finish this year. I am holding Non-B visa at this moment. Anyhow need to change to Non-O from next year in case I don't get new job. Am I allowed to open this business? or should be under my wife? In case started under my wife name ...Am I allowed to sit in the shop and helping out to my wife?

You can open a business in your name or as a foreign company. As a foreigner you will need to get the proper permits which can be expensive and take time if even approved, this is the reason most people make a Thai company. Also there are many types of business that foreigners cannot engage in.

You have several options for setting up the company or business since you will be able to get a non-o visa and an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

One option is to setup a partnership with your wife which requires a lot less paperwork that setting up a LTD company.

A company or business registration is done in the province where you are setting up the business not just Bangkok.

This guide from the BOI has lots of useful info. BusinessGuide 2014.pdf

• Like 2

Just a little advice based on what I observed, computer repair business is becoming extinct unless you are opening one in an area where there is none and there is a good population. Not many people build there own computers anymore too, and computers are so cheap nowadays most will just buy a new one. Computer usage has dropped as well as more people use tablets and ipads nowadays.

Just put the business under you wife, its a lot easier. You are not suppose to work there, but most folks don't care and will not report you unless you live around folks who hate you.

Goodluck

Smart, as an ex-teacher here, your wife's name of course, work permit, employees (3-4 Thai's req.), tax license etc.. You've worked here 8 years and should know the ropes.

If you can do computers, try contracting schools and universities because the students destroy the systems all the time, unless you do facebook.