Stolen Bike in Chiang Mai

I just saw this on another forum and I thought I'd post it here as it can't be linked per TV policy (fair enough)- it's a crappy situation for the bike owner, but he made the huge mistake of allowing the thief to ride it without first having full payment in hand (he got a Malaysian ID, but who knows if it's legit)- there have been a few threads re: selling a bike here, and I've always said no rides without full payment in hand.

Here's the post (I omitted the phone number of the bike owner and the thief's ID pic)- be careful about who you let ride your bike, and don't trust unknown buyers with it:

WARNING TO ALL :

Yesterday my Kawasaki Z1000 was stolen here in Chiang Mai. Had a Malaysian guy 27 years old call me late last night to enquire about it. Met him this morning at Airport plaza where he agreed to buy it. He then came to my house early afternoon by taxi with evidence that a 3rd party payment had been made from his Malaysian bank to my account here in Thailand. I had told him that he could not take the bike until funds were cleared later this week. He did ask could he take it for a spin in my mooban for a few minutes. He left me his Malaysian ID card. That was my big mistake, the SOB never came back! Waited and waited but nothing. Tried many times to call him but he's turned off his phone. Have since reported to the Police but I doubt they will do anything. The guy speaks perfect English and as I've found out is an excellent con man. Claims to have a Thai wife and young baby. He works as an interpreter.

^

I think so as well, but I felt it would be going a bit too far on my part if I posted all the info as I don't know the person whose bike was stolen and he might not be happy about the specific information being posted anywhere else. It's from today, so maybe he'll get around to it- I just wanted to give people a head's-up about a potential thief from Malaysia- this probably wasn't his only target.

If pics of the bike in question - by all means post here. Ensure that the license plate is hidden / masked / not visible due to personal details of the owner.

Please keep fone numbers / Line ID / emails hidden.

Add PM for more details at the end of the post

Sounds like one of the Bkk "come meet my family, my daughter is studying in your country" scammers has moved on.

I dont personally want to have money on me before i buy, but i do offer keys, wallet, passport and phone as security.

Reading some of the stories from the usa, in some parts if you meet up, they not only take the bike but your car and clothes at gun point

ID doesn't meet shit. I wouldn't even accept a passport. When doing a sale, have the buyer meet a place that has surveillance and tell the buyer that if he is happy with the bike, to leave the money if he chooses to take it for a spin. Or meet at a bank. I'm sorry, but this was avoidable... Easily. Some people need to remember what country they are in!

It's been posted on bigbikemarket facebook group last night, along with the pictures of the bike, LP and the Malaysian ID card. The post is in Thai so I didn't know what it was about and just scrolled through.

Def not very smart to let someone ride an expensive bike without having cash in hands.

This was a pretty brazen theft. I think he'll be caught, simply going by the assumption that this is a not-very-smart opportunistic con man.

The ID seems like it was actually his ID - the same name was used by a fraudster in Malaysia.

How to let a potential buyer try your bike then? Asking full price in hand would be a bit much?! My idea would be to, perhaps, equip the bike with a GPS tracker and drain all but 10km of fuel in the tank. See how far he gets ;) but that's a lot of effort. Would not have thought it to be necessary.

Great result. I'm curious as to whether, if the bike was insured and hadn't been recovered, the insurance would cover this as 'theft' given that the bike was, initially, taken with the permission of the owner.

Knowing how insurance companies will do whatever they can to avoid paying up I can just see an insurer saying "you let the person take your bike; how do we know you're not scamming us i.e. you're working in cahoots with the alleged 'thief'"

Anyone had any practical experience of this situation?

• Like 1

Great news . Just goes to show what can be done when people work together clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif . Insurance would not have been obliged to pay out as the keys were "handed" over without force or threat . Thanks for posting RSD , bet the owner is happy too . Difficult to know what to do / ask , for if a "buyer" asks for a test ride. Maybe "full cash amount" in hand is best . Shame you cant trust some people / scum . lock.gif

great work by members of the public and police,I'm in london at the minute and the amount of bikes that go missing never to be seen again is unreal,last month mate had his hp4 carbon nicked and the same week a 899 also went from a bike bay in central london.

I might know who this guy is. No, we're not friends.

I can't remember his name, but if you PM me with the ID pic, I'll do the math.

Edit; I read the rest of the post. Yeah, that's him.

Edited by curveball

Any insight into where he was heading with it?

If he rode Chiang Mai ==> Fang, he was heading north.

Always thought these thefts were popped into a truck fairly quickly but this guy heads north on the bike itself. Where is the market up there for a big bike? Onto a boat at Chiang Saen and then to China?

I guess he is somehow ignorant, has no money to buy such bike and wanted to have a good time in LOS. Or he is the stupiest thief ever, to give his real ID card.

So not part of a planned effort, but just a disturbed person stealing a bike? Very possible.

^

Dont understand why police says it is a fake ID card. His name on the ID card obviously is the real one. Strange. Maybe police is trying to make this a "very difficult case and a great police work".

Crazy story.

This guy has a long history in Malaysia which appears to include doing just what he did in CM (albeit without getting nicked …)

Read all about it here -

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1522590/all

Incredible that he was able to pull the same con job for years.. since 2010! According to this thread, there's also a sex tape. This case really has it all 555

Let's hope he gets a nice spot in the Bangkok Hilton and they don't release him to MY any time soon... he seems to be connected there, or at least know how to pay off the right people to not get nabbed...