Psycho taxi driver

phazey

We're on the way back to Bangkok from hua hin , just had a small collision, no visible damage to the car he hit. Taxi driver is refusing to stop and the other party is now following us with their hazards on.

Am I doomed?

• Like 1

That's the point, I repeatedly asked him to stop, and he just carries on. Blokes a nutter, nearly hit a merc and a pickup since. I can't say a bad word as he's supposed to be a family friend.....

That's the point, I repeatedly asked him to stop, and he just carries on. Blokes a nutter, nearly hit a merc and a pickup since. I can't say a bad word as he's supposed to be a family friend.....

Do you care more about a family friend than your safety ? The next car he hits could impact your safety - Post a photo of the Taxi ID on here, and you to your family. Ask someone in your family to call the police if you feel the issue is getting that serious.

Tell him you need the toilet.... stop at the next Gas Station.

Hopefully the car he hit is still following behind you... they may offer help when you do stop.

Edited by richard_smith237

Home! I had to stop posting and instead concentrate on driving from the passenger seat. We avoided side swiping a Nissan, and I was constantly reminding him 140km was not mandatory. The missus insisted we finish the journey so I just got him to slow down and had my eyes on a few cars in front.

I think next time i'll drive......

• Like 2

Home! I had to stop posting and instead concentrate on driving from the passenger seat. We avoided side swiping a Nissan, and I was constantly reminding him 140km was not mandatory. The missus insisted we finish the journey so I just got him to slow down and had my eyes on a few cars in front.

What happened to the car that was following you?

This story can't finish like that..........I want action.........I'm very, very disappointed.blink.png

PS. Good to hear you are back home, safethumbsup.gif

Edited by Costas2008
  • Like 1

Had you not used his taxi service, he would not be travelling on that road and at that time. Ergo, he would not have hit the other car and thus not had one of his anxiety attacks

So actually, you are 100% to blame for all these problems.

Do you have a lawyer?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

Definitely a better option...

Even though you are trained to drive in another country, minimal experience here will make you safer than some uneducated nutter in poorly maintained taxi...

Ensure you have your Thai Drivers Licence (or have met requirements to drive as a tourist under an IDP).

I hope you make a formal complaint to the DLT hotline on 1584

A good policy is "never use a taxi" unless you absolutely have to.The taxi drivers are just not safe to be with.

That's the general policy I follow too... a flag-fall taxi is my last resort.

Those hanging around outside a hotel are a definite no-no...

If I use alternatives where I can I'll get 1 idiot taxi driver a week compared to a handful a week if I use taxi's more frequently...

Not using the regular taxi's makes life a little less hassle !!!!...

This all doesn't bother me too much, but in Bangkok the fact that there are viable, better alternatives out there makes life easier.

Edited by richard_smith237

I think from the OP's post, the problem was magnified because the taxi driver was a family friend ==> huge loss of face if rebuked in front of the wife ==> massive psycho attack etc.

One way to 'abort' a taxi journey is to tell them that you are about to throw up inside their vehicle, and they must stop now!

In Thai (I won't write it in Thai letters in this general posting), you can say 'Mai sabai, ja oowak, jort rote' ==> I'm ill and I'm going to throw up, stop the car'.

Failing that, just stick your fingers down your throat and make vomit sounds.

Hey - it works for me!

• Like 1

I think from the OP's post, the problem was magnified because the taxi driver was a family friend ==> huge loss of face if rebuked in front of the wife ==> massive psycho attack etc.

This is the issue. On our way down to Hua Hin, we had another taxi driver (a much nicer guy whom drove smoothly and safely).

As we approached Hua-Hin 41 - from about 200m out he wanted to go into the inside lane. As i did not want to miss the turning , so i kinda verbally ripped him a new one. The wife was mortified so I shut up from there on in, and gave the guy a hearty wai when he finally dropped us off.

I guess i need to post in the motoring forum how insurance works for self drive on an international driving license at some point. I drive in the mooban daily, but will never get onto the main roads - thats her job. But even then we'll only drive locally. FiL won't let us drive long distance in the new car just right now....but that's going to change after I explained Mr Moron could have easily killed his daughter and grandson......

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is the issue. On our way down to Hua Hin, we had another taxi driver (a much nicer guy whom drove smoothly and safely).

As we approached Hua-Hin 41 - from about 200m out he wanted to go into the inside lane. As i did not want to miss the turning , so i kinda verbally ripped him a new one. The wife was mortified so I shut up from there on in, and gave the guy a hearty wai when he finally dropped us off.

I guess i need to post in the motoring forum how insurance works for self drive on an international driving license at some point. I drive in the mooban daily, but will never get onto the main roads - thats her job. But even then we'll only drive locally. FiL won't let us drive long distance in the new car just right now....but that's going to change after I explained Mr Moron could have easily killed his daughter and grandson......

This post coming from the guy who wais taxi drivers - I wouldn't let you anywhere near my car either.

• Like 1