Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

my Lenovo keeps freezing

Featured Replies

Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ITL6

Sometimes it'll boot.

But after 2 mins, either the screen freezes (like an old video game death) or else the whole thing just goes to black.

I haven't used this laptop much since purchasing it new 2 years ago. I suspect they sold me a bit of a pup.

I already put in some spare RAM --- to no avail.

I wanted to conduct a system restore, but no restore points were available.

Might a factory reset be of use? Any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Did you follow the advice to boot from a live OS, such as Ubuntu?

  • Author
15 hours ago, G-String said:

Did you follow the advice to boot from a live OS, such as Ubuntu?

Double-checking how to do that... I would download the OS onto my older (functioning) laptop, then put it on a thumb drive, then take the thumb drive and stick it in my newer (non-functioning) laptop, and try to launch the OS from my thumb drive. Do I have this process correct?

22 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Double-checking how to do that... I would download the OS onto my older (functioning) laptop, then put it on a thumb drive, then take the thumb drive and stick it in my newer (non-functioning) laptop, and try to launch the OS from my thumb drive. Do I have this process correct?

Pretty much.

A couple of options.

https://unetbootin.github.io

or

Pendrive Linux
No image preview

YUMI Multiboot USB Creator for Windows and Linux

Easily create a YUMI Multiboot USB for Windows and Linux. Boot multiple ISOs, live distributions, and tools ~ all from one single USB stick!

Linux Mint is probably a good choice.

A factory reset could definitely be of use, but seems more a hardware issue rather than a software failure.

  • Author
On 9/8/2026 at 9:41 PM, Sergo said:

A factory reset could definitely be of use, but seems more a hardware issue rather than a software failure.

Yes, I have come to suspect the same.

Two days ago I went into BIOS (for the first time in my life, I think) and tried to boot from a thumb drive with Linux.

The laptop did not allow it: There was a blue screen and a mention about refusing to boot from thumb drive for security reasons.

So I did a factory reset.

It actually seemed to work, for a while. I even downloaded Google Chrome successfully.

But next time I turned on the laptop, the same old problem resurfaced.

Given the circumstances, and considering the particular model, what would you guess is the specific hardware issue?

FYI: I already stuck in a spare RAM card, as I read there's sometimes something defective about this model's RAM, which is apparently soldered into the motherboard (i don't get why they designed it that way).

Edited by BananaBandit

15 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Given the circumstances, and considering the particular model, what would you guess is the specific hardware issue?

In my opinion, is an integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics failure caused by degraded CPU solder joints and/or a dying CPU core. This model utilizes an 11th Gen Intel Core processor where the CPU and Iris Xe GPU are fused onto the same silicon die, a failure in one represents a complete failure of the chip.

16 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Yes, I have come to suspect the same.

Two days ago I went into BIOS (for the first time in my life, I think) and tried to boot from a thumb drive with Linux.

The laptop did not allow it: There was a blue screen and a mention about refusing to boot from thumb drive for security reasons.

So I did a factory reset.

It actually seemed to work, for a while. I even downloaded Google Chrome successfully.

But next time I turned on the laptop, the same old problem resurfaced.

Given the circumstances, and considering the particular model, what would you guess is the specific hardware issue?

FYI: I already stuck in a spare RAM card, as I read there's sometimes something defective about this model's RAM, which is apparently soldered into the motherboard (i don't get why they designed it that way).

You have to turn off secure boot depending on what's loaded on the usb stick. I use ventoy in the usb stick. It's pretty good at getting around the secure boot stuff. You can copy lots of iso images to it and pick the one you want at boot time. System rescue disk is the one I use the most.

Edited by gargamon

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Somehow this problem seems to have been resolved. I'm quite shocked.


I like learning computer stuff but have no natural aptitude for technology.

I tried to do what someone here suggested about booting Linux from a flash drive. But it seems I couldn't even figure out how to unzip the Ventoy program correctly.

So I turned my attention to the comment about there possibly being something awry with the CPU.

I unscrewed and opened up my laptop to get to the CPU (intending to re-seat it), but could not locate it on the motherboard. (Turns out the CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard.)

At this point, having no idea what to do, I started just unscrewing everything and pulling apart any wires I could find.

Anyway, I eventually put it all back together, turned on the laptop, and somehow everything now works fine. I've used my laptop 4 or 5 times since with no problem. There's just one incongruity — the clock is slow by exactly 2 hours.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the clock being goofy and my laptop working again are connected.

What y'all reckon?

Edited by BananaBandit

46 minutes ago, BananaBandit said:

Somehow this problem seems to have been resolved. I'm quite shocked.


I like learning computer stuff but have no natural aptitude for technology.

I tried to do what someone here suggested about booting Linux from a flash drive. But it seems I couldn't even figure out how to unzip the Ventoy program correctly.

So I turned my attention to the comment about there possibly being something awry with the CPU.

I unscrewed and opened up my laptop to get to the CPU (intending to re-seat it), but could not locate it on the motherboard. (Turns out the CPU is soldered directly to the motherboard.)

At this point, having no idea what to do, I started just unscrewing everything and pulling apart any wires I could find.

Anyway, I eventually put it all back together, turned on the laptop, and somehow everything now works fine. I've used my laptop 4 or 5 times since with no problem. There's just one incongruity — the clock is slow by exactly 2 hours.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the clock being goofy and my laptop working again are connected.

What y'all reckon?

What time is indicated on the BIOS screen? Adjust it to the right time there. If it doesn't keep, you'll need a new battery, usually a CR 2032 or a CR 2025.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.