Is Cheap Charlies closed?

raymp

Cheap Charlies on Sukhumvit Soi 11 is a Bangkok Legend......It has been open for years I would guess its was closed for the Songkran holiday.....Keep checking.

Is that the place where there's just a wall on the street with sort of a bar bolted to it?

If so, I went there in 1985!!!!!

Cheap Charlies on Sukhumvit Soi 11 is a Bangkok Legend......It has been open for years I would guess its was closed for the Songkran holiday.....Keep checking.

Is that the place where there's just a wall on the street with sort of a bar bolted to it?

If so, I went there in 1985!!!!!

Yeah, that's the place. Might have been cheap at one time, now it's no more inexpensive than any other Thai beer bar, ones with actual toilet facilities. Never understood Cheap Charlie's appeal.

Agree with above - once it was a place to stand around on a corner & drink a couple of Cheap Beers. Then it went up-market & so did the prices. They even installed tables/chairs (tho still no toilet.) Meanwhile 20 metres up the road is Charlie Browns - a Tex-Mex with good food; Margaritas to die for AND clean toilets.

I havent been there in years either but it was a great meeting point. And......the beers were cheap. Nowadays about the cheapest beer is that nationwide chain thats found just about everywhere in Thailand , they just dont have tables or toilets....

I havent been there in years either but it was a great meeting point. And......the beers were cheap. Nowadays about the cheapest beer is that nationwide chain thats found just about everywhere in Thailand , they just dont have tables or toilets....

You'd be surprised - the 7-11 across from Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall in Chiang Mai has a group of entrepreneurs that shows up every afternoon at approx 4:00 p.m. and sets up tables, chairs, a small portable bar, speakers, and now even limited food for sale.

• 1 year later...

A bunch of mates and I have to spend a some nights in Bangkok...., all coming from different parts of the globe. A couple of the guys have mentioned maybe we could meet at Cheap Charlie's on Suk soi 11..., before heading out. I messaged them back saying, I thought it was due to be bulldozed very soon...., but then read somewhere that at the moment it's still open. 
Can anyone verify if it's still open ? Also, if it's still open..., does anyone know when that speaker will be saying....,
" Attention please..., last drinks please, last drinks !"
Thanks 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

I am sure I read months back that Cheap Charlies in Soi 11 was closing. Apparently, something being built on the land the bar has sat on for decades. IIRC he was trying to find a new spot for the bar (probably won't be the same).

Found some links: (as thought, these are from last summer and state things will change in about 9 months so probably about now-ish):

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/rip-cheap-charlies-chunk-sukhumvit-soi-11-reportedly-sold-developers/

https://whatsonsukhumvit.com/say-your-goodbyes-cheap-charlies-reportedly-sold-to-developers/

Edited by Razzler1973

Yes, thanks..., I did know it was all coming down..., I roughly recall that March was supposed to be the date when it all closes...., but I was wondering if my mates and I could make it there for some last drinks before Cheap Charlie's finally shut up shop..., and the wreckers ball put that whole lane out of it's misery.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the next soi and used to go there a lot many moons ago but the crowd changed from the real expat cheap Charlie's to a yuppie hangout packed wall to wall.. If it had walls... Impossible to get to the bar at times and nowhere to even stand let alone sit.
Won't miss it

Bunch of relatively civilised chaps flying into Bkk from all points of the compass...,  around 17/03..., if CC's is not still operating, I guess we'll have to find somewhere else to have a couple of frosties to start the night off. :wai:
It's just that Cheap Charlies is the kind of place that, many times over the years, I have bumped into old mates from times past.
Many memories..., and tall tales relived - all heartily laughed at !

Edited by Sandy Freckle

Ok, thanks for the previous post

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Farewell to one of Bangkok's legendary dive bars.

Ok, thank you for that post Jonathan Fairfeild..., looks like we may get to have a couple of frosties at CC's before the wrecking ball swings. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

On 21/04/2015 at 8:50 AM, stoplookingatmyscreen said:

cheap charlies in phuket is closed for another generic crappy farang owned hotel

Would it be fair to assume that you're not too impressed with these establishments?

On 4/22/2015 at 9:18 AM, mikebell said:

Agree with above - once it was a place to stand around on a corner & drink a couple of Cheap Beers. Then it went up-market & so did the prices. They even installed tables/chairs (tho still no toilet.) Meanwhile 20 metres up the road is Charlie Browns - a Tex-Mex with good food; Margaritas to die for AND clean toilets.

"to die for ?" ehhh......is not  that a sophomoric  high school phrase ? yikes ,  the toon's are younger these day's .

This is happening more and more because the land prices in Bangkok are extremely high. I would expect to see all of Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy either be relocated or simply go out of business. They sit on land that is much more valuable than the leases that current bars they  pay. In addition, if the alcohol excise tax comes into play the prices of alcohol will also rise ; rising leases and lack of customers will put most of them out of business. That is really what the Thai government wants- more malls; condos etc for the so called 'quality' tourist or hi-so Thai. 

The migration has already started and most bar owners want out because making a profit is becoming too difficult.

Edited by Thaidream