Prepaid SIM card registration

Tywais

Just a reminder to CM members that you have until July 31st to register your prepaid SIM card. News topic 1, News topic 2

Member KhunBENQ posted this method to verify if you are registered or not. Type in *151# <send>. It should work for all providers as it is nbtc.

If you could post here your experience in registering such as provider (AIS, Dtac, etc.), where you registered and how long it took. Also, if any special number for checking your registration.

For DTAC you can call *1002 and press 9 for English then 1 to check registration.

Went in to BigC Mae Hia (Hang Dong Road) today to the DTAC shop on the 1st floor. Took about 5 minutes but most of that was waiting to get the right person. Asked for ID and handed over my 5 year Thai drivers license and they were fine with that.

BTW, if you use the *151# method you will see the below message if not registered.

post-566-0-29484900-1429610451_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I went to the little AIS shop down the road from Gekko Garden with my passport and my phone. The girl looked at me holding both and said "Registration?".

I said yes, she tinkered away for 10 mins and said it as done but might take a while to process.

I did the 151 bit later and it is indeed registered.

Well to be honest I do not keep up with the different plans.

I bought a phone with the AIA sim card in it and I just go to 7/11 and buy more time when I am low.

Do I have to register it.

Yes as that is prepaid. But the news article says it can be done at 7/11 also. smile.png

1. Asked for Tourist Inter SIM card (TrueMove H 3G) at CNX arrivals yesterday, 20 Apr

2. Man behind desk said passport please

3. Gave passport

4. He took one photo of Sim Card package on mobile phone

5. Checked his phone that Pic worked - ok

6. He took one photo of Passport Photo page on mobile phone

7. Repeated step 5

8. Handed Passport and sim card package over to me

9. Job done. Less than 1 minute.

10 Got to Accommodation (in CM) - registered phone on network

11. Went to 7/11 and topped up

12. All done - no hastle

Phone works and shows as registered!

Dtac are a bunch of jerks, when checking registration, it's not registered. When checking my own number, dialing *102*9# it states No, active for 2Y6M3D register by card no. xxxxxxxxxxxx , so what ?????

Because I registered years ago, where else would they have got the Passport number.

I bought a phone with the AIA sim card in it and I just go to 7/11 and buy more time when I am low.

"I bought a phone with the AIA sim card"

AIA is an insurance company.

I went to the AIS office (in Pattaya). A lady wrote down my passport info and phone number and was finished in less than two minutes.

• Like 1

For those who, like myself, may have registered several years ago during the Thaksin period push on this, an interesting point to take into account.

Even if you have previously provided such information when you bought a SIM card in Thailand, it’s highly likely that you are not registered because the mobile operators seem to have completely ignored or failed to implement the proper registration procedures.

<snip>

Even if you think you already registered your SIM card when a similar policy was rolled out by a previous government several years ago, we’d still advise that you go into the local store of your network provider to double check your phone is actually registered. Alternatively, you could always try calling the customer service numbers below, but good luck with that.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-thailand-update/3112/

Yes as that is prepaid. But the news article says it can be done at 7/11 also. smile.png

Thanks for the information.

I went to the little AIS shop down the road from Gekko Garden with my passport and my phone. The girl looked at me holding both and said "Registration?".

I said yes, she tinkered away for 10 mins and said it as done but might take a while to process.

I did the 151 bit later and it is indeed registered.

Will you please tell me where is the AIS shop near Geckos?

I went to three different 7-11's. They had never heard of this thing. Finally I refused to leave until I spoke to the manager. He seemed confused but eventually read the papers he had received on it and registered me.

I had gone to True in Bangkok at Future Park, but they only wanted to sell contracts and had no interest in pre-paid customers, or else didn't understand about the registration process for foreigners.

When I do the 151 thing I get:

หมายเลขระบบเติมเงินนี้ลงทะเบียนแล้ว ด้วยบัตรประชาชนลงท้าย หากไม่ใช่เลขบัตรของคุณ ติดต่อAIS Shop/Telewiz

Have AIS. Hmm.... Anyone who knows what it says?

Registred at BigC on the Hang Dong rd. Passport and phone. It took a few minutes.

Edited by jimmysjo

With the greatest respect....this is surly making a big deal out of nothing...like.... "share your experience on how you got on". It's like asking one to share their experience on "how you posted a letter in the post office". You bring your phone (with the SIM in it) to an appropriate shop or AIS or whatever and a form of identification, answer a few questions... and hey presto, it's all over in a few minutes, painless ......what's the big deal? ....it's not a nuclear science exam or something.

With all we have to do here like Visas, Extensions of stay , permits and Re-entry permits, some opening companies and hiring staff, paying taxes, buying condos, buying houses,etc., etc., etc., Registering a SIM card is child's play

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

With the greatest respect....this is surly making a big deal out of nothing...like.... "share your experience on how you got on". It's like asking one to share their experience on "how you posted a letter in the post office". You bring your phone (with the SIM in it) to an appropriate shop or AIS or whatever and a form of identification, answer a few questions... and hey presto, it's all over in a few minutes, painless ......what's the big deal? ....it's not a nuclear science exam or something.

With all we have to do here like Visas, Extensions of stay , permits and Re-entry permits, some opening companies and hiring staff, paying taxes, buying condos, buying houses,etc., etc., etc., Registering a SIM card is child's play

Obviously we aren't all as knowing as you. I have found some of the postings useful. An AIS store nearby that I was unaware of and cautionary tales about using 7 11 stores.

I bought a new phone last week and I knew in advance about the requirement to register so I took my passport along with me. The shop In Big C Chiang Mai, registered mine and it was done in less than 5 minutes. Yes, you do need your passport. No charges involved

re

Because it is post paid they already know who you are. You are registered already

i hope your rght :)

just out of interest i punched in 151 on my tab s that i registered at the same time as the note 8 and it came up with this which i cant read :(

i also registered my phone with d tac a few weeks ago so i hope none of my stuff dies in july

dave2

post-42592-0-42834900-1429679492_thumb.p

re

Because it is post paid they already know who you are. You are registered already

i hope your rght smile.png

just out of interest i punched in 151 on my tab s that i registered at the same time as the note 8 and it came up with this which i cant read sad.png

i also registered my phone with d tac a few weeks ago so i hope none of my stuff dies in july

dave2

That message says it is registered already.

I bought a TrueMove SIM card last year. As I was not certain it was registered, I called at the True shop recently to check . The lady took my passport and checked on her computer. She told me that it had been registered, but my passport number did not agree with the database. Not surprising as I got a new passport since buying the SIM card. She said it was a requirement to re-register when the number of the ID changed.

I re-registered using my Thai driving licence as that does not need to be renewed.

I'm not sure about the need to re-register, but it does seem logical, once your ID changes, the old one is useless.

What will happen to my DTAC Sim Card after July 1

I have had it for 7 years now?

I will be back in Chiang Mai in September?

So unable to Register while Overseas

The phone number will be disabled. There is a very large penalty to the provider if they do not satisfy the requirement so they will probably be pretty responsive to cutting off service if not registered after the deadline. I would contact DTAC via their website or e-mail to see if there is something that can be done.

What will happen to my DTAC Sim Card after July 1

I have had it for 7 years now?

I will be back in Chiang Mai in September?

So unable to Register while Overseas

The phone number will be disabled. There is a very large penalty to the provider if they do not satisfy the requirement so they will probably be pretty responsive to cutting off service if not registered after the deadline. I would contact DTAC via their website or e-mail to see if there is something that can be done.

Thanks for the quick responce