Proposal: A Farang Buddhist Group

maksida

Living in Thailand for seven years, I'm also a reader of Buddhist literature and interested in the way Thai society has interpreted Buddha's words over the years.

I am not a Buddhist, but my life has been influenced for the good by understanding his teachings (or some of them!). I do not petition the Buddha for lottery wins.

It occurred to me there may be others in my situation, who would like to meet occasionally to talk and listen. Perhaps we could get Thai Buddhists to speak. Organise visits to temples. Maybe start residential classes ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

This proposal doesn't exactly fit with the Thaivisa banter n' beer element (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but here may be as good a place as any to push the idea out.

I'm not really proposing a discussion right here, in the comments section; I'm fishing for interest in the idea of the formation of a group. Initially, it would involve a bit of communication via email, then setting up a meeting somewhere. Assuming there is a "we"!

If this looks interesting to you, send me a personal message.

A Buddhist group restricted to white foreigners seems somehow wrong.

Didn't see where the OP placed a restriction on ethnicity of those he is aiming this thread at or did I miss that bit?

I like the idea and would be very interested in joining such a group of likeminded inquiring people.

I just looked at your profile OP for your location, mine is Pattaya, where are you ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Didn't see where the OP placed a restriction on ethnicity of those he is aiming this thread at or did I miss that bit?

You missed it, it was in the title. Easy to miss...

• Like 2

Buddhism is closely related to Thai history and culture.

A careful reading of that history and time spent among Thais who still have some respect for their traditions would provide insights into Buddhist philosophy and religion.

It should also be understood that animist beliefs and rituals predating Buddhism are still practiced here. Essentially it is a conviction that all living things, including trees, mountains, rivers, etc. have a life-force that can be propitiated with the appropriate respect and ceremonies.

It has always seemed to me that these practices are - in some ways - similar to the old Catholic veneration of saints and the cult of relics among the peasantry of Europe and elsewhere.

Along with the higher aspects of religious teaching, these folk traditions are a fascinating study in themselves.

Whatever your interests are, I hope you and your proposed group inspire each other in beneficial ways.

All the best.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You missed it, it was in the title. Easy to miss...

Whoops my full apologies to maeJoMTB

• Like 1

Please accept my full apology and I can fully appreciate the point that you were making

How about ........

Proposal: An English speaking Buddhist group?

IMHO that would be a much better proposal.

• Like 2

Please accept my full apology and I can fully appreciate the point that you were making

How about ........

Proposal: An English speaking Buddhist group?

IMHO that would be a much better proposal.

Yes, that makes sense and would be more inclusive.

I don't think all thai visa members are white/farang but it does sound racist.

That's a wonderful idea, and is already in place in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. I do not know where you do live, but meditation centers and retreats are full of farangs interested in Buddhism, and the same for most farangs local groups and expats groups online.

I don't think all thai visa members are white/farang but it does sound racist.

He's maybe ike 90 per cent of farang I know and don't want to integrate with the locals, regardless if there is no communication problem.

Buddhism is closely related to Thai history and culture.

crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m

Buddhism and its relationship to Thai history and culture is an interesting topic with a lot of possibilities for intelligent discussion.

A group such as the one proposed by the OP would be a good informal setting to do just that.

It's an excellent idea.

In Buddhism we speak of the Triple Gem (or 3 Jewels, or 3 Refuges).

• The Buddha: (the Awakened One).
  • The Dharma: (the Teachings)
  • The Sangha: (the Community).

To me the ultimate community would include teachers/guides who are either Awakened themselves, or who have been under the tutelage of Awakened ones.

I'm not saying your group would be without merit, but why reinvent the wheel when there are so many existing Sanghas steeped in knowledge and experience and with resources, already in existence?

My thoughts are that if I'm serious about the Buddhas path, why not seek out the very best teachers and influences.

The ultimate group would be Monkhood under the Buddha himself during his lifetime.

My question would be:

"What is your groups purpose?".

Edited by rockyysdt