What are Nikon playing at

Please excuse the badly chosen title, I was going to have a ramble at the end of the thread on why no EVF, but for all I know that may be available as an optional addon.

Was also going to mention flange distance but the new lens may compensate for that by shifting the rear lens element forward.

http://petapixel.com/2015/04/21/more-murmurings-of-a-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-by-nikon/#more-163724

If the latest rumblings in the rumor mill are accurate, then Nikon is currently working on a full frame mirrorless camera. And it may be pretty far along as well, as the company is said to be testing out prototypes in the field.

Nikon Rumors is hearing from reliable sources that Nikon is developing a new full frame camera that’s either mirrorless or “mirrorless-styled” (whatever that means). The camera is said to be small — roughly the same size as the Olympus E-M1. The E-M1 is a Micro Four Thirds camera, so it will be impressive if Nikon can squeeze a full frame sensor into a body that small.

The camera reportedly won’t have a built-in electronic viewfinder, and the lens mount will be a standard Nikon F mount. Nikon is said to be testing the camera right now, and that any official announcement may come at the end of 2015 or at the beginning of 2016.

“The problem is that Nikon may pull the plug on that project and we will never know,” Nikon Rumors tells PetaPixel. “It has happened in the past.”

One thing that does give this rumor some weight is a recently published Nikon patent that shows a 28-80mm lens designed for a full frame mirrorless camera. If this is a camera that interests you, start crossing your fingers and hopefully it will indeed hit the market in the next year.

Edited by rhythmworx

Perhaps Nik is getting their head back on straight.

Have a look at the lens...just a line drawing but it's clearly defined...

http://petapixel.com/2014/12/16/lens-patent-suggests-nikon-may-working-full-frame-mirrorless-camera/

I wonder what size sensor they'll stick into it. They already have some good ones to choose from

or will it be something new also?

I'm not gonna get all excited though..knowing Niks past fiascos.

I tried replying yesterday SS but I had DNS problems and my post got lost.

It's a good they are moving into the mirrorless market but everyone else are leagues ahead of them, they have some catching up to do.

What I would like to know is will there be some kind of extension tube that allows dslr lenses to be used.

If so how much light will be lost.

^^^ RW...Extension tubes will not be needed according to Nik as the camera is

supposed to be F mount...so all Niks D/SLR lenses will work...old & new. I'm

curious what the sensor size will be and the 'tronics behind the sensor. Will

Nik use their 16MP or 24MP sensor, Expeed 4 or Expeed 5?

More rumurs here....with a mock up pic too!...

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/20/new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-on-the-horizon.aspx/

Here....

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/03/some-interesting-nikon-patents-including-a-nikkor-24-70mm-f2-8-pf-vr-lens.aspx/

And here...

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/05/first-nikon-d5-rumors.aspx/

Edited by sunshine51

I was just wondering about the distance to flange from the sensor on a cropped nik its 45mm ish, I guess the same for FF.

I was expecting the body to be a bit slimmer, no big deal though. Still it's good news other glass will fit.

Flange distance for APS-C (DX in the Nikon world) needs to be the same as for Full-frame (FX). Otherwise, the FF lenses would not be able to focus properly on APS-C.

Even if it is a new mount with a shorter flange distance, there is no light lost with the adapters. The adapter/extension tube just moves the back of the lens to the correct distance from the sensor to project the proper image circle and allow focusing.

What I'm curious about is how Nikon plans to handle AF on their SLR lenses if they use the same mount for mirrorless. This has been the one major downside of adapting SLR lenses to mirrorless -- the AF performance is usually very poor since the AF motors in SLR lenses aren't designed for the small, fast adjustments needed for contrast AF. I don't think Nikon is known for their on-sensor PDAF, and even on the Canon and Sony's, the on-sensor isn't up to par with dedicated modules.

• Like 1

Flange distance on Nikon is actually 46.67mm not 46.50mm and definitely not 45ish.

Tolerance is +- 0.015mm.

Source...Nikpro.

There are times where you have to calibrate the AF if you have a Nik which has

this feature. Many websites have info on this procedure, Google is your friend.

You may also want to invest in a calibration kit too....can find these on the websites

you'll Google to calibrate AF. If calibrating a zoom you will have to find the lens

sweet spot first, calibrate that, then fudge it for the long & wide ends.You are not

making any mechanical adjustments, just pressing a button so don't worry about

mucking something up seriously.

Or you can send your camera to NikService and inform them you have a focus

problem & let Nik deal with it.