Living On 800k Baht

I have seen many threads which discuss cost of living in Thailand, and would like to get opinions on how well or poorly i could live on the required 800k a year. I know this depends on many factors, so let me narrow it down a little. Bangkok, 2 bedroom condo, internet, cell, cable TV, car, food for two with some farang food included. Go out at least twice a month for entertainment i.e. movie, dinner, a few drinks. Plus miscelaneous??, whatever that means to you..

The money will come from a military retirement. I currently live in Japan, and have seen information that says that Bangkok is approximately 40% overall less expensive then Japan.

Also, has anyone done a cost study to actually see what true costs are.

Regards, BD

Hey BD, I live in a 2BR Condo on Suk Soi 11, no car, dont eat out, minimal transport expense as I live where I wanna be. Have no insurance. Let me break it down as best I can:

Rent: 55,000

Food: 6,000

Entertainment 20,000

Utilities 5,000

Misc 24,000

Comes to a nice round 110,000 per month for my situation or 1,320,000 baht per year

It's a tough nut to crack but the rent is what kills you living in this area. My place is a large 2BR and not really necessary but 100 Sq and up in this area were starting at 40K anyway and not as close to Sukhumvit Rd. I would really love to cut my rent down and be right in the neighborhood but haven't worked it out yet. I'm not interested in moving down the sky train to On Nut or up somewhere as it would throw me out of kilter. I like to come home as I please night and day in the area and not have to get on a packed sky train, take my life in my hands on a moto, or shell out for taxis and sit in traffic. I'm overpaying for this great convenience but would really like/need to cut the rent down in the future. Problem is that this is hard to do in this area with the ever rising rents. I remember in 2003, this very Apt was 35,000 but I turned it down in favor of a 20K 1BR nearby. That was a fatal error. Another bummer about this Apt was the 110K deposit I had to shell to move in but that's water over the bridge. If I move out of here next year, this place will likely go to 75K or something. neverending upward cost spiral of convenience

I have seen many threads which discuss cost of living in Thailand, and would like to get opinions on how well or poorly i could live on the required 800k a year. I know this depends on many factors, so let me narrow it down a little. Bangkok, 2 bedroom condo, internet, cell, cable TV, car, food for two with some farang food included. Go out at least twice a month for entertainment i.e. movie, dinner, a few drinks. Plus miscelaneous??, whatever that means to you..

The money will come from a military retirement. I currently live in Japan, and have seen information that says that Bangkok is approximately 40% overall less expensive then Japan.

Regards, BD

this will give you further infos on various guys' cost of living in los...

http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/costofliving.htm :o

Regards, BD

Hey BD, I live in a 2BR Condo on Suk Soi 11, no car, dont eat out, minimal transport expense as I live where I wanna be. Have no insurance. Let me break it down as best I can:

Rent: 55,000

Food: 6,000

Entertainment 20,000

Utilities 5,000

Misc 24,000

Comes to a nice round 110,000 per month for my situation or 1,320,000 baht per year

It's a tough nut to crack but the rent is what kills you living in this area. My place is a large 2BR and not really necessary but 100 Sq and up in this area were starting at 40K anyway and not as close to Sukhumvit Rd. I would really love to cut my rent down and be right in the neighborhood but haven't worked it out yet. I'm not interested in moving down the sky train to On Nut or up somewhere as it would throw me out of kilter. I like to come home as I please night and day in the area and not have to get on a packed sky train, take my life in my hands on a moto, or shell out for taxis and sit in traffic. I'm overpaying for this great convenience but would really like/need to cut the rent down in the future. Problem is that this is hard to do in this area with the ever rising rents. I remember in 2003, this very Apt was 35,000 but I turned it down in favor of a 20K 1BR nearby. That was a fatal error. Another bummer about this Apt was the 110K deposit I had to shell to move in but that's water over the bridge. If I move out of here next year, this place will likely go to 75K or something. neverending upward cost spiral of convenience

You're 100% right; cost in Thailand can vary GREATLY depending on where you live. I live on what you spend in rent. My 10 year old, 4 BR/3BA furnished home rents for 6,000.

I am not trying to stir things... But I would just like to paint reality. Before I came to LOS, I was told by many on this forum that 200-300K (and by my wife) is super star status....

I am here to tell those that read this, it AINT.

Back home I could afford the M3, here not even, and even if I could, I would not spend 170K USD on a car that I could purchase for 60K in the US. It is a principle thing I have. So it will be Tuk Tuks and Toyotas forever for me.

No 200-300K will give you a decent life, a life full of money in your wallet, at all times. But the big toy items like, boats, ATV's, 5 acre yards, big houses etc.... forget about it.

Dakhar: If I read your post right your telling me that you make from 5500 to 8100 Usd every MONTH??. And yes I understand the Tax is a killer for a new BMW.. I have a 95 325i that I picked up here in Japan for 3k usd. But that was a deal. Regards, BD

Regards, BD

this will give you further infos on various guys' cost of living in los...

http://www.ajarn.com/Banter/costofliving.htm :o

I do not think that link actually wil help anyone but a teacher who is living hand to mouth. I only browsed the page that opened, but it seems the majority earn around 50k per month.

I think it would be quite easy living on 80k per month after condo/home has been bought.

I only eat out once a week, as I prefer mine or my wifes cooking.

I go out once a week with the boys to non tourist areas about 16000 per month.

I pay about 2000 baht per week in petrol.

My utilities are elec: 7000 per month.

Food for home: 3000 per month.

eating out 3000 per month.

mobile bill about 5000 per month.

ubc: 2000 per month

water house: 200 baht per month

water drink: 120 baht per month.

house phone: 400per month

Probably forgot a few others, but it isnt hard to live on 70-80 per month.

Tornados nos look like mine except I spread out the going out money a bit more, use much less electricity(2000 Baht)(Tornado has a nice big house I am guessing-and somebody using it all day) and talk much less on the phone(1000 baht). I can see health insurance missing, as well as flights home/visa costs/clothes/sports club/gadgets/internet/car repairs+service+insurance Etc. I presume Tornado owns the house as no rent mentioned - but there might be management fees/repairs/guards/maids too to pay.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

It is interesting to see the differences in money quoted between people living in BK and up country or other areas (info from other boards). I myself am retired military, however currently contracting, and spending time up country during my vacations. I am planning a permanent move in the near future and have figured my monthly expenses to be 20,000 a month, living it up 30,000 baht a month. I have read where many live on less and enjoy a fruitful life with minimal stress; I guess it all depends upon what you want out of life. You should lead a decent lifestyle on the money you are talking about, then again this is my personal opinion with no real time on the ground as a retiree :o

I am not trying to stir things... But I would just like to paint reality. Before I came to LOS, I was told by many on this forum that 200-300K (and by my wife) is super star status....

I am here to tell those that read this, it AINT.

Back home I could afford the M3, here not even, and even if I could, I would not spend 170K USD on a car that I could purchase for 60K in the US. It is a principle thing I have. So it will be Tuk Tuks and Toyotas forever for me.

No 200-300K will give you a decent life, a life full of money in your wallet, at all times. But the big toy items like, boats, ATV's, 5 acre yards, big houses etc.... forget about it.

Dakhar: If I read your post right your telling me that you make from 5500 to 8100 Usd every MONTH??. And yes I understand the Tax is a killer for a new BMW.. I have a 95 325i that I picked up here in Japan for 3k usd. But that was a deal. Regards, BD

Yes, in that range. It fluctuates, and I recently lost a contract I had in the US, but I am finalizing one that is scheduled to begin in November. Which will boost me back up there. I work for several people/co.

Currently I am at a base of 160K. Again, this kind of money, eating out is not an issue, paying for gas electricity etc, not an issue.... it is the big ticket items, big yards, big house, nice cars, nice boats.... they are a killer. So lets put this into a little perspective. 160K is around 16 times your average bachelored degree individual... If I made 16 time the average bachelored degree individual in the US, and lived in the US... even the big ticket items would be equavalent to the cost of a bag of popcorn to me.

So my point is, you have to have A LOT of money to live a life a luxury... and I don't mean eating out 3 times a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I,ll put my bit in.

I live on suk 16 400m away from the Queen Sirikit Exhibition Centre MRT so Si Lom and Suk etc only 2 stops away. Easy 2 bed condo, 105sq meter..........7th floor and the views of bangkok from here looks like the Manhattan skyline. Full security, great management, 7-11 nearby :D

23,000 baht a month.

I drive a 9 month old Honda Jazz ( perfect for BKK ) and travel regularly about 500km a week 600 baht a week Insurance......fully covered for 13,000 baht a year Car was 475,000 baht cash. Can,t see the point in buying a Beemer or Merc here...........not at these prices.

Traffic stress is what you make of it. If you accept that thais will cheerfully cut you up and don,t batter an eyelid.............it applies back also. No accidents yet :D

UBC here at the condo............. 40 channel package 6000 baht one off payment

Food? we eat thai. Its good and its cheap.

Electric....we only use aircon at night in the bedroom and fans during the day 1200-1400 baht a month

Water 280 baht a month

Cell phones ( 2 ) about 1000-1400 a month. Shop around for good sim deals.

Entertainment? we eat at the Londoner now and then, watch soccer in the Irish bars, the odd night in town with my friends :o about 25,000 a month.

I don,t think you will have any problems on 800k a year. But as you can see, rentals vary greatly.

I,m 5 mins away from Suk road centre and pay 50% of the rentals they do. if not more?

Good luck on your future by the way. :D

Edited by stevemiddie

Regards, BD

To live western style about 1/2 uk costs to live thia style peanuts single western lifestyle about 60-80k a month baht sfter tax married say 100k married with 1-2 kids say 130k or so allowing reasonable school ok medical etc all after any tax assumes western style air con. ubc, 1 car medium, no rent eat out mostly thai odd holiday and odd 1 year trip back home