Android tablet for my Mum - 10" and locally available. Recommendations?

roban

My idea is, to bring/send a "pre-configured" Android tablet to my mum in Germany.

I will pre-install Skype, Line, Teamviewer QS and a very few other apps.

Along with this, senior-friendly nice launcher.

I need to buy the tablet locally here in Thailand, no more time to order from China.

Minimum requirements:

• 9.7-10.x"
  • Rootable (Adaway/Xposed and to remove bloatware)
  • At least Kitkat 4.4.x
  • Full HD
  • 8-16 GB ROM
  • 2 GB Ram (to keep the apps in memory)
  • Bluetooth (for mouse/keyboard)

Not much more than ~6000 Baht.

Recommendations?

And no, Apple devices are definitely no option!

thanks.

At B6000 for a 10" tablet you are looking at the fairly low end retail...a bit less so by online order.

If you are in Bangkok, go to Fortune Tower (Rama 9 MRT) 2nd floor. Many dealers of various Chinese models there. If you find one that has the right price/feature combo, Google it on your smartphone and look for reviews.

LAZADA.com delivers locally in Thailand and has several convenient payment options. Check them out as well. There is a recent thread on this forum about buying from Lazada..pros and cons.

Both Big-C and Tesco have a selection of tablets in that range, along with Power Buy and Jay Mart at most malls.

Consider a 8" tablet rather than 10".. They are easier to hold for an extended period but still have a reasonably large viewing screen. I have found 8" to be the most convenient all around size. There are some very good ones made by ASUS, LENOVO, SAMSUNG and other mainline manufacturers available locally. The best ones bay be closer to B8000 but well worth it. Some also come in a combo with a removable physical keyboard which might be really good for your Mum,

Once again, Fortune Tower a good place to see a variety on display.

Edited by dddave

Well, 8" is too small.

I would even prefer a 12", but not available in this price range.

I will also buy some kind of stand/dock/cradle, so she doesn't need to hold it all the time.

This tablet is for very light home use only, Skype, Line, photos no "high end" needed.

Two years ago, I've bought an Onda V972 which would have met all my specs and had also a better resolution (Retina)

(But crappy batteries, charger, etc)

It was ~7800 Baht, so I was thinking, something similar must be available at ~6000-6500 nowadays.

I've checked Lazada already, tons of 7-8" but a very few 10"

I would prefer to order online, but I will check Big-C, Tesco and Powerbuy too.

And if all else fails, Fortune in BKK....sad.png

Edited by roban

Two years ago, I've bought an Onda V972 which would have met all my specs and had also a better resolution (Retina)

It was ~7800 Baht, so I was thinking, something similar must be available at ~6000-6500 nowadays.

I also have a 2 year old Onda V972 and though the display was really gorgeous, it constantly crashed. I could never understand the directions on their website for rooting and updating so that went undone.

I'd put it on a shelf several months ago and hadn't used it since. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed it looked a bit odd so I picked it up and the whole case was split wide open and the battery containment envelope was blown up like a birthday balloon. Such was the force of the expansion that the leather case enclosing the tablet was also distorted way out of shape. I have to say I was impressed that the battery containment envelope held intact with so much pressure from within.

This same thing had happened earlier this year with another cheap, 3 year old tablet. Same scenario; inactive for a fairly extended period, not on a charger but put away fully charged. Again, the containment envelope held. I'm not sure if this is unique to cheaper batteries but twice in one home is too much. Be mindful of this when you store your tablet when it's not being used. It also happened to an Onda belonging to a friend of mine.

Now I understand why airlines and cargo companies are nervous about L-Ion batteries. I wouldn't want to see the result if one went off in a packed bag in a cargo hold.

Edited by dddave

Well, 8" is too small.

I would even prefer a 12", but not available in this price range.

I will also buy some kind of stand/dock/cradle, so she doesn't need to hold it all the time.

This tablet is for very light home use only, Skype, Line, photos no "high end" needed.

I've checked Lazada already, tons of 7-8" but a very few 10"

I would prefer to order online, but I will check Big-C, Tesco and Powerbuy too.

And if all else fails, Fortune in BKK....sad.png

Look for Ainol, they are available at Panthip and Zeer, are cheaper than the Onda's, has similar specs and have long lasting batteries .

I purchased a Onda 972 for my boy early 2013, and returned it within the first week for the reasons you mention and some.Got him an Ainol Novo hero 10.1 in return, and that one is still going strong.Lasts a week on standby, and something like 18 hours continuous use.