What are the top three restaurant cuisines you would love to see open here?

Jingthing

Stuff that is NOT available locally now.

Stuff you would love to see open as restaurants locally.

Your top three picks.

By cuisines I mean:

-- either national cuisines such as Portuguese

-- or a regional subset of a national cuisine such as Hunanese Chinese cuisine

-- a specialty restaurant of a national cuisine, such as a restaurant specializing in Spanish paella

-- or something MUCH BETTER of a cuisine that is already available here that you think is all done substandard locally

These are not my picks yet but here are four more examples:

Cuban food restaurant (national cuisine)

Bahai regional Brazilian restaurant (regional subset of national cuisine)

Dedicated authentic Chinese dim sum restaurant (specialty restaurant of a national cuisine)

MUCH BETTER Mexican restaurant (cuisine that is already available here that you think is all done substandard locally)

So there is your challenge and it is not an easy one.

Your TOP THREE restaurant type WISHES to open locally based on the above guidelines.

To clarify, the picks can be in any of above four categories.

They could be three national cuisines, or two national cuisine subsets plus a much better, or any combination you choose!

For food lovers, I think it would be really hard to pick a top three. I can probably think of 100 wishes but it would be hard to pick the TOP ones.

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya has every cuisine one could imagine. Unfortunately just because there is a Turkish, Lebannese, Indian or French restaurant available in the city, it doesn't mean it is of high quality. (look at these restaurants that say they have "Ceasar salad" and all they think it is is to put Ceasar cream dressing from a bottle on iceberg lettuce-ugh). I would like to see a couple Western fastfood chains open up (since I am not one to sit down for 1 hour or more and spend 1500 on a meal): Taco Bell (fast Tex-Mex ); and Panda (miss the orange chicken).

• Like 1

Oh, behave JT ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goan_cuisine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_cuisine

OK, I stole that last one from my thread that wasn't even supposed to be about food, but all 3 would make a welcome addition to the culinary options available in Pattaya. Not really that hard for someone raised on meat pies, Amigo, but why I dont see more Laksa here escapes me. The Thais would absolutely love it if you didnt tell them where it was from. Indian food seems to be a tougher sell to the Thais, but I had the prawn dish below - apparently a Goan specialty - in BKK last year and it was jaw-droppingly good (with an appropriately killer pricetag, sadly).

fish-cuisine-goa.jpg

• Like 2

Too complicated Jingthing, but again - I'm special needs. Remember, it's a CONTINUUM

Okay then, you win.

Being special needz, how about the best Chicken-Mushroom Pot Pie (with concomitant ultra-flaky pastry) you god-darned well ever had in yur ever-lovin' life?

Its all in the sauce-gravy.

Conclusion: Le Saucier est tres bon en Mercredi

Oh, behave JT wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goan_cuisine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_cuisine

OK, I stole that last one from my thread that wasn't even supposed to be about food, but all 3 would make a welcome addition to the culinary options available in Pattaya. Not really that hard for someone raised on meat pies, Amigo, but why I dont see more Laksa here escapes me. The Thais would absolutely love it if you didnt tell them where it was from. Indian food seems to be a tougher sell to the Thais, but I had the prawn dish below - apparently a Goan specialty - in BKK last year and it was jaw-droppingly good (with an appropriately killer pricetag, sadly).

fish-cuisine-goa.jpg

I had some amazing laksa in Kuching. They have their own type there. Luckily, wifey comes very close to it...love it! Good creole can be had in Bangkok at Bourbon Street. They have a huge menu and the food is really good.

I'd vote for Ethopian. Wouldn't eat there on a regular basis, but it's a great change....and vegetarian!

As mentioned above, we've got lots of restaurants here...unfortunately many are not that great.

Din Tai Fung

Simply the best dumpling retaurant chain on the planet

Steamed Truffle & Pork Dumplings 松露小笼包

thb_steameddumplings_trufflexlb.jpg

A modern rendition of our classic award winning Xiao Long Bao, the premium Steamed Truffle & Pork Dumplings features finest black truffles with fresh pork wrapped in delicate skin. Savour the robust flavours of the luscious ingredients and rich broth in lavish servings.

Chinese, something like satay chicken with rice. Not satay sticks but chicken breast cooked in satay sauce.

Vietnamese, again not Thai style but more authentic Vietnamese .

I dont think the Chinese invented satay -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satay

It's not bad but I cant say I've ever had it in either country and thought 'Whoa ! I wish I lived here !' : each to their own,

• Like 1

I had some amazing laksa in Kuching. They have their own type there. Luckily, wifey comes very close to it...love it! Good creole can be had in Bangkok at Bourbon Street. They have a huge menu and the food is really good.

I'd vote for Ethopian. Wouldn't eat there on a regular basis, but it's a great change....and vegetarian!

As mentioned above, we've got lots of restaurants here...unfortunately many are not that great.

the repertoire of my Ethiopian cook in Saudi Arabia (4½ years) was not very vast. everything was delicious and spiced with superhot Sudani chilies but none of the dishes she prepared was vegetarian.

i loved her signy but considered the "habashi bread" usually served with signy very yuckish. wish there was an Ethiopian restaurant in Pattaya then finally my wife might stop judging all restaurants in Sin City with a stream of expletive attributes wink.png

Good Mexican seafood (Quintana Roo style /Caribbean style). Ie: civeche tacos

Good Californian/Mexican style.

Good American breakfast/diner style. ie: bottomless cup of coffee, Real hash browns and sourdough toast.

Edited by Kickstand
  • Like 1

I would like to see an Indonesian restaurant open up that serves traditional dishes like Gado Gado and Nasi Goreng. Indonesian food I rank among the top 5 in the world so I am surprised that a city like Pattaya do not have much of it.

• Like 2

I am so bad.

Even though I changed the "rules" to allow 10 choices, I just couldn't.

Greedy about food? Guilty as charged.

Since I started this thread, I figure I am semi-obligated to do my own list but I reckon if I did this list tomorrow it wouldn't be same.

But probably the top three would still be there.

1- Ethiopian
2 -Hard core Authentic Mexican ... the kind of place to get chicken w/ dark mole, real homemade tortillas, real salsas, Mexican seafood, etc.
3 - Mission District Burrito shop / Taqueria speciality joint also with real deal meats and salsas
4 - Full Menu Burmese restaurant
5- Full Menu Malaysian / Singapore restaurant
6 - Indonesian Food restaurant
7 - Vietnamese Pho and Bun shop (local stuff doesn't fully cut it)
8 - Sechuan Chinese restaurant (local stuff doesn't fully cut it)
9 - Caribbean Food restaurant (bring on the Jerk chicken and goat curry and heck Cuba is in that region too!)
10 - Peruvian restaurant with a focus on ceviche items
11 - Portuguese restaurant with an emphasis on bacalao dishes
12 - Chinese restaurant specializing in Chinese clay pot dishes

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mexican food (southern USA style)
American-Chinese food
Smoked BBQ (southern USA style)

Ditto.

I'll 3rd that. Plus restaurants who serve a good bread basket with the meal.

Chinese, something like satay chicken with rice. Not satay sticks but chicken breast cooked in satay sauce.

Vietnamese, again not Thai style but more authentic Vietnamese .

I dont think the Chinese invented satay -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satay

It's not bad but I cant say I've ever had it in either country and thought 'Whoa ! I wish I lived here !' : each to their own,

I have no idea if they did or did not.

But in Sydney, there are a few Chinese restaurants that serve it.

One in Randwick called Wok(something like that)

As crazy as it sounds, i dream about their satay chicken usually 1 month before my yearly visits and spend my lunch and dinner eating it.

Even writing about it, makes me dribble.laugh.pnggiggle.gif

Not in any order of preference as they're all scrummy :

Spanish Food and Catalan cuisine

Traditional Belgian

Traditional German

Real Fish and Chip Shop / Pie and Mash Shop

Greek cuisine

Lebanese Cuisine

New York Deli style

Just scoffed a good Isaan meal tonight. The choice of Thai food is phenomenal, still trying new things after 25 years. Very good authentic Italian just down the road, and the Chockchai steaks are wonderful. Some good Japanese here, my preference Kasa. Spoiled for choice really!

Off to Japan next week so plenty new things to try.

Not in any order of preference as they're all scrummy :

Spanish Food and Catalan cuisine

Traditional Belgian

Traditional German

Real Fish and Chip Shop / Pie and Mash Shop

Greek cuisine

Lebanese Cuisine

New York Deli style

Just scoffed a good Isaan meal tonight. The choice of Thai food is phenomenal, still trying new things after 25 years. Very good authentic Italian just down the road, and the Chockchai steaks are wonderful. Some good Japanese here, my preference Kasa. Spoiled for choice really!

Off to Japan next week so plenty new things to try.

OK, I'm going to challenge this out of curiosity.

This thread is only about the Pattaya area ... we have some things OK, and some things either not at all or possibly not good enough based on opinion.

Some of them I understand.

But traditional German? Aren't there something like 100 German restaurants in town ... not even one does it for you?

Some Belgian places too ... none are OK?

Fish and chips? So many. None works for you?

Lebanese ... there's that place on 3rd road ... not good enough?

New York Deli ... Pastrami on Rye in Jomtien not good enough?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Authentic Mex, you can add Tortas also I would even tolerate Taco Bell if it was in Issan, definitely a Good Chinese Restaurant, also

Is that food ? whistling.gif

. Have you seen some of those dishes in Issan...

Yes a lot.

I prefer Thai food over Falang food now days.

only eat falang food once or twice a week for me.

Taco Bell is crap food