What the heck is going on at Nongprue intersection?

raro

Since that market is at the cross roads between Soi Nongprue and Soi Siam Country Club peace and quiet we had here seems to be gone.

This is a no holidays weekend and they are soundchecking again a PA they wish they had at Woodstock... Are we expected to have this now every weekend???

Raro I am surprised at your naivety

Yes of course you are, you are expected to stay stumm and say nothing because you're opinion doesnt matter, the family that owns that land, did they ever in the past consider anyone other than themselves. (not a question)

The constant barrage of noise will go on until it dawns on them that they are on a loser with that market.

If it was going to be a success then it would have already happened, they are throwing money at it in the form of a mass marketing of noise via concerts, and bullsht that they expect the Thai people to swallow

Most of the Thai people who in the beginning attended the market now just dont go there n the numbers required

Unless they have a party or concert every night they will hopefully fail

The sooner they wake up to the fact that money can't buy everything the better and then back to normal eh?

In the meantime we have to suffer their selfishness and stupidity

• Like 1

The funny thing is, Leo of Leo's Blues Bar got numerous times summoned to city Hall for violations of some obscure noise regulations. That was in Nakluea in the middle of a bar area... We were loud, but not THAT loud.

Concert just started, windows are reverberating.

Is that the same family that a nearby village is named after by any chance?

Possibly

if they had rented or sub contracted the site out it would have already been washed up by the normal laws of reasonable risk capital outlay versus lack of return because conventionally people who go into this business are usually on a projection that can only go on for so long

In other words unless you have a lot of money to throw at such a proposition as this then you would have failed in the first month due to pure economics of sensible risk versus capital expenditure versus return

The arrogance and stupidity they are showing shows a low level of marketing experience, like I say hopefully when the penny finally drops that is its costing them big style with no obvious sign of success they will pull the plug pardon the pun (on the big amps)

These attempts at publicity seeking concerts wouldn't be needed if they were already making money.

The concerts are evidence that it isn't working and they are trying to force the issue

The irony is that those who attend the concerts are not the one who will make the market a success

Another irony for me is the possibility that this extensive site could be suitable for a darkside superstore, not on the scale of TESCO or Big C but possibly 50% scale

It could be that the owners of the land are indeed very astute and possibly see in the future a large store on this site especially if it was successful as a local market.

A supermarket is long overdue on the dark side. Let's just hope that they run out of budget (as cash is not really an issue for this family) and the nonsense stops.

On the other hand it gives me a free ticket to host some wild parties at home again...

Apart from the racket, how does the actual market look raro? Mrs NL was interested in a spot there but left it too near to the opening and missed out. I thought maybe a good thing as we can see how the market fares in a recession. We are out of town at the moment so is the market any larger than it was when it kicked off? Maybe it's already a big loss maker for the owner and the noise fest at weekends is a last ditch attempt to recoup losses.... going out with a bang.

Apart from the racket, how does the actual market look raro? Mrs NL was interested in a spot there but left it too near to the opening and missed out. I thought maybe a good thing as we can see how the market fares in a recession. We are out of town at the moment so is the market any larger than it was when it kicked off? Maybe it's already a big loss maker for the owner and the noise fest at weekends is a last ditch attempt to recoup losses.... going out with a bang.

Don't panic that your wife missed out on a spot, if the market is a hit there will be another market on the nearest empty plot within a few weeks, and another the other side down the road.

missus went once said nothing much going on, she bought some food (most probably somtam....) and it wasn't up to her standards. Won't go back, she said.

Thanks for the reports on this markets apparent downsizing. Looks like it didn't get enough trade if a lot of people that rented space at the startup have already bailed. Markets can be hit or miss and not just a Pattaya thing. Noticed the same in Udon where several new markets kicked off on the ring-road with good access and good trade initially but the locals eventually go back to the older, more central markets. It can only be a cost or quality issue as the new markets, same as the one near raro, have plenty parking whereas the older, successful ones seem to have the worst parking imaginable. Look at the one in Naklua for an example of the latter. There's a really big and fairly new one on the north-side of Huay Yai road, just after you cross the railroad tracks headed inland. Always busy and acres of space. I think the wife needs to go where it seems sustainable.The one on Chaiyapruek between Sukhumvit and the railroad is busy but running out of space.

Couple of things.

First, I live down by the lake and, whist having a quiet read outside, had annoying faint 'music' thumping away in the background and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. You appear to have answered my question.

That market was never going to be a success. My Thai landlady said many people 'tried' it when it first opened but went back to that long established one some 2 kms further toward Sukhumvit Road.

About ten years ago, I was living a large house in Pong, and a few shacks were built just opposite me to house labourers working on local a building site. We lived in peaceful co-existence until one day, the labourers had a visit from a man with one of these ridiculously loud PA systems in the back of his pick-up. Then, almost every afternoon, from around 4 p.m. till 8 pm, there would be this incessant 'boom' boom' of the bass woofer. It was so loud it made the ground shake and there was nowhere in my house I could escape the noise.

Then, by luck, I was introduced to the local village headman who said to let him know if I ever had any problem. I said; 'As a matter of fact, there is a little problem….' He told me to leave it to him.Sure enough the noise stopped. Then, about two weeks later it started again. I got in my car and drove around and parked opposite the offending pick-up. They looked at me and the noise stopped.

It never came back again.

Three years ago, I was living in another house near the lake. On the roadside, outside my gated village, a number of primitive restaurant shacks were built. One of them was an Issan food joint which also sold booze. A number of young Thais started getting drunk there in the evenings. This was okay until one of the regular customers started cranking up the PA system in his pickup for the enjoyment of himself and the other customers.The noise was so loud that we could hear it at home. We called our gardener who spoke the local officials from the Pong district office.

The noise stopped the same day and never returned.

Having said that, there have been any number of occasions when the noise from the nearby Wat has disturbed our peaceful existence. Sometimes, such as at Loy Krathong, they erect several huge stages and the music goes on for week or more.The music and booming starts around 6 p.m. and never stops until well past 1 a.m. All these loud music events are arranged by the local Wat who no doubt benefit financially. The Loy Krathong concerts attract thousands of young people from Pattaya City.

This is a residential area and there must be thousands of people - Thais and farangs - who have bought or rented homes out here in the belief they would enjoy some peace and quiet, away from the noise of the big city.

I was lucky with my first two noise-makers, but I'm not about to take on a Wat.

Sadly, as other posters have said, nobody really cares, and unnecessary noise pollution is endemic in Thailand. Very few people are prepared to stand up and be counted and say this has got to stop. They just shrug their shoulders and carry on.

I do recall a few years back a group of doctors from a local hospital in the south of Thailand were having a party in one of the doctor's homes when the next-door neighbour walked in and shot them all dead. He said he had repeatedly asked the owner to cut back on the noisy partying, but he had been ignored. In the end, he couldn't stand it any longer.

I have been out in remote Issan villages when the only sound to break the peace of the dawn breaking was the birds singing, and then suddenly, my ears are offended by the noise of the mobile vegetable shop approaching. They play the luk thung music so loudly on distorted, squeaky speakers that it must surely waken the dead. But nobody seems to care.

The other day I heard a loud 'boom boom' coming from deep within my village, near the lake. 'Who can it be? I wondered, waiting for it to stop. But it didn't stop, it just got louder and louder. "OMG - what the heck's happening?" I asked myself. Surely someone's not having a party - it's only 11 in the morning!

The noise continued and it became worse. My windows shook and the ground trembled. Then, suddenly, I realised it was coming from a truck. I looked out as it had passed my front gate. Yes, it was a food truck, and the driver was looking for customers and was undoubtedly making absolutely sure everyone was awake.

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

My heart goes out to you Raro - ask your lovely wife to speak to someone at the district office. You never know….it might work.

• Like 1

The only intersection with a traffic light on Soi Siam Country Club.

The fire department used to be on that corner.

Now we have a 7/11, tesco and a mityont motorcycle shop m

Thank you.

Is it far from the rails ?

Yes, it is very far if walking. Probably about 7/8kms-ish

The only intersection with a traffic light on Soi Siam Country Club.

The fire department used to be on that corner.

Now we have a 7/11, tesco and a mityont motorcycle shop m

Thank you.

Is it far from the rails ?

Yes, it is very far if walking. Probably about 7/8kms-ish

But going by Raro's comments, you probably can hear it at the railway. biggrin.png