Family Budget Beach Holiday

Neeranam

Thinking of going to the beach from Khon Kaen with my wife and two daughters for about 30,000 baht.

Probably get overnight train to Bangkok 1st class whch was only 1000 baht a few years ago for a separate compartment. Then from Bangkok I don't know.

I don't want to take my car but do it backpacker style as my kids are old enough now.

Any ideas?

I suppose Pattaya is the nearest but...

Would want about 5-7 days in total.

Edited by Neeranam

You might want to think about driving to a place like Koh Chang or a cheaper place on the mainland like Chao Lao beach. A car is a must if you are in Chao Lao.

Even in Hua Hin, unless you are right in town, or only use public transport (which can be a pain), a car is great. There are so many great places to explore. And you can fill the trunk up with all sort of stuff for the family.

• Like 1

Neeranam, From KK I'd take a car down 2 and cut off on 202 past Buriram to avoid Korat and others, and go to Chao Lao as Craig mentioned. There's enough there to give the family a nice time at the beach without breaking the bank and that beach is a lot closer than on down south. You'd totally avoid most big city traffic too, especially Bangkok.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You might want to think about driving to a place like Koh Chang or a cheaper place on the mainland like Chao Lao beach. A car is a must if you are in Chao Lao.

Even in Hua Hin, unless you are right in town, or only use public transport (which can be a pain), a car is great. There are so many great places to explore. And you can fill the trunk up with all sort of stuff for the family.

I went to Chanthaburi for Songkran with my family. We stayed at Laem Sing Beach and drove (a few km) to Chao Lao Beach. Both badly littered beaches with pretty dirty water, rather uninviting all in all to be honest.

We hadn't been to the beach for 5 years. Very disappointing. Drove all the way from Ubon. Wouldn't go again.

Islands are your best bet for a clean beach in Thailand.....Koh Chang? Koh Samet? I have never been to either, but something for you to think about.

Laem Sing Beach is very bad. We drove by and the water looked like mud. Started just after you drive over the bridge coming from Chao Lao....over the big hill. Same for the Southern section of Chao Lao, where the seafood restaurants are. It's very shallow there, basically a mud flat. But if you drive towards the northern part of Chao Lao Beach, the water is really nice. Especially the very northern section. We swam every day, from morning to night, and never saw trash nor dirty water. Well...there's always trash on beaches here, but it wasn't bad. It wasn't like a beach on Hawaii, but it was OK. Or perhaps, you hit one of those days that does happen around here. Trash comes in from who knows where. Happens a lot in and around Bang Saray where I live. Unfortunately....

Been to both Chang and Samet many times. Chang has some very nice beaches and you can drive your car there. Samet, you have to take a ferry and if your resort isn't near where they drop you off, you've got a walk down the beach. We've had to walk over 1/2km at times to get to our resort. No fun with luggage. But few go to Samet for more than a few nights. One reason we like Chang a bit better even though it's quite a bit further. At least you've still got your car to drive around and explore.

Even Chang has been having water quality issues. As has Phuket, Samui, etc. Protection of the environment isn't high on the priority list here.

Here's a pic of the beach we saw, the northern part:

https://yogiiiii.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/hanging-by-the-beach/

• 2 years later...

Thinking back to the journey last year with my family driving from Bangkok to Chao Lao beach, it was a wonderful memory. We took panic in the open air, sat and talked by the fire, and camped in the night, feeling the beauty of nature. And we got closer with each other during that time. It's really worth going. Oh by the way, in case you might not know, I have some suggestion from my own experience: 

1. Do remember bring along sunglasses with you if it is summer time because the sunlight ultraviolet ray are very strong, they might hurt your eyes. We did not bring ours so we had to buy wayfarer sunglasses in the local.

2. Lighting equipment are suggested because they can be useful in the night. The head lights of the car can illuminate for a while. That was what we did during our journey, but they did not last long and ran out of battery. So I suggest you bring some rechargeable LED lights as they don't eat up battery so fast. And I hear that now there are solar LED lights that can convert sunlight into power directly in the daytime.

3. Also, take some necessary medicine as well as some other tools in case of any situation.

Edited by ParkPrince
  • Like 1

Assuming you’re still considering your options,, If you’re arriving into bkk by train at the huay Lumphun terminal, you could then take the south train (twice daily) and get off at the hua hin stop, not sure if it still stops at cha am or not ? but cha am is nice for a cheap family beach holiday, we often stay right in one of the beach front hotels for little over 1000 baht per night for a family room, fantastic selection of seafood restaurants or take a trip to the fish market and buy your own fresh seafood and have it cooked for you, then go relax on the beach,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Cha Am .................very nice and cheaper than Hua Hin. 

Unlike other places mentioned you do not need a car as most things are within walking distance ( pier , seafood restaurants ) and for other places hundred of bikes for rent, some tandem or even four seaters.

Beach is nice and cleaned every Tuesday.  Rook with a sea view , balcony  and swimming pool about 700 baht.

Easily accessible from Bangkok too either by bus or train from Hua Lampong. If you are arriving by train just geta nearby hotel and spend 1 night exploring Chinatown. The Krung Kasem Sri Grung hotel opposite the station is o.k. with two double beds in each room.

Also, although Cha Lao or Laem Sadet are OK they are deathly quiet midweek and without your own wheels not much fun. You'll be tired just from the traveling.

Edited by Denim