time to file US tax for some of you.

I do not have aggregated money in bank accounts outside the US in excess of $US 10,000 at any microsecond in time during the last 10 years.

My reported income is below the filing threshold.

Thanks for worrying about me; now go worry about someone else.

I do not have aggregated money in bank accounts outside the US in excess of $US 10,000 at any microsecond in time during the last 10 years.

If your income is so low, then you wouldn't be using the monthly income method to satisfy any of the various Visa retirement income options. What kind of visa are you on and how are you affording to live in Thailand on less than $10,000 per year?

file fbar ASAP.

you have until end of June before they come to seize your account.

With what they would get should they come to seize my Thai accounts, they couldn't even buy a Whopper at the airport.
it doesn't matter if you have money or no much money , if you have more than 10k$ aggregated in Non US Bank account, you must file.

they compare your fbar report with your tax return and any mismatch will call for an audit with sanctions like closure and seizure of your account, investigation at the US arrival port with maybe jail time.

I love the US "freedom" . :)

Hogwash.

• 2 weeks later...

One week remaining before the 500$ fine.

don't mess with America !!! this is not a democracy, they will get your balls chopped at the end.

I don't have to FBAR report this year as I have never had more than 10,000 baht in my aggregate bank accounts outside the USA. But if you'll lend me $US 10,000, I will stick it in a Thai bank account and then you will be sure that I will have to do an FBAR report next year.

If your income is so low, then you wouldn't be using the monthly income method to satisfy any of the various Visa retirement income options. What kind of visa are you on and how are you affording to live in Thailand on less than $10,000 per year?

The annual gift tax exclusion for 2014 is $14,000. ... So if 2 persons each gave you the $14,000 max you would have $28,000 that year of tax-free income.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes

The annual gift tax exclusion for 2014 is $14,000. ... So if 2 persons each gave you the $14,000 max you would have $28,000 that year of tax-free income.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes

The gift tax is a tax on the giver, not the receiver. Even if a single person gave you $28k in a year, you, as recipient, would not have to pay tax.

The annual gift tax exclusion for 2014 is $14,000. ... So if 2 persons each gave you the $14,000 max you would have $28,000 that year of tax-free income.K else they would be t

The gift tax is a tax on the giver, not the receiver. Even if a single person gave you $28k in a year, you, as recipient, would not have to pay tax.

Well OK but that's why each person is only maybe willing to give $14K else they would be paying tax on the excess -- but if you can find such a person who will give you more than that, then you won't have people questing how you can live in Thailand on such a small reported amount.

Edited by JLCrab

Has anyone else experienced or suffered an identity issue this year? I filed my taxes early, January 21st, and I was excited that for the first time in probably 20 years I was expecting a refund.

Nothing until back in March I got a notice asking me to verify my identity, strange I thought since I've filed my taxes from Thailand for years. Well here we are 6 months later and finally my refund is approved to be paid on July 1st.

Co-incidentally I was watching 60 Minutes today and they has a segment on tax refund identity theft. Who knew it's a huge issue, over 3 million fake applications, and it's so frikkin easy.

Apparently it turns out, all you need is a SSN and DOB, don't even need name or address to file a fake claim. They make up fake W2 figures and target a moderate refund, which is credited to a prepaid credit card. What was astonishing to me, after years of worrying that my return matched my W2, 1099 etc, the fact is they don't even cross check.

My credit card has better and simpler fraud protection than this!

The guy they had on 60 minutes was filing around 20 returns a day at about $4K refund...you do the math