Advice needed with new home.

longstebe

I'm looking to add (extend) roughly 20sq metres onto the side of my house.

The house is not yet built and the total cost will be around the 3M baht mark.

The builder wants to charge me an extra 12,000 baht per sq metre.

Seems a bit much?

post-75846-14301266256172_thumb.jpg

I would say thats thr going rate in most areas of Thailand.

In CM some people would consider themsrlves lucky at that price because rates will be 12-15 as the norm.

What you can do is pro rata the cost you were quoted for the main house divided by thr floor area.

Then multiply that m2 rate by 20.

If he hasnt even started then it should make no difference to him.

If you are asking him to set up from scratch to add on another 20 then yes he quite rightly deserves to be paid 1.5 the going rate.

Looking at your plans...

The total area seems to be about 141 sq. m.

Your figure of 3 M baht total gives you a figure of about 21,000 baht/sq.m for the main build.

That's just from the picture you show, so I could be wrong.

We had a 20 sq.m kitchen added to our new build, the builder did it for 45,000 baht, but that was just for the build with us buying all the materials and fittings, ie 2,250/ sq.m. (in CM)

Looking at your plans...

Your figure of 3 M baht total gives you a figure of about 21,000 baht/sq.m for the main build.

We had a 20 sq.m kitchen added to our new build, the builder did it for 45,000 baht, but that was just for the build with us buying all the materials and fittings, ie 2,250/ sq.m. (in CM)

Yeah mate, that's pretty much what I added it up to be.

Probably a bit less taking into account the space of the car port.

Basically I'm having the house extended on one side (master bedroom and bedroom 1) for walk in closets.

Just got off the phone with the site manager and he said he can't budge on the price.

Looking at your plans...

Basically I'm having the house extended on one side (master bedroom and bedroom 1) for walk in closets.

Just got off the phone with the site manager and he said he can't budge on the price.

Is that a fully inclusive price (including all material)?

If so. it's considerable less than the per meter price for the main build (which I assume is a fully inclusive price)

Looking at your plans...

Is that a fully inclusive price (including all material)?

If so. it's considerable less than the per meter price for the main build (which I assume is a fully inclusive price)

Yes it is mate.

Wait, the builder is charging you less per SQM for the extensions, and you're complaining? tongue.png

Extensions cost just as much per sqm to build as the rest of the house - maybe you should be complaining about the house building cost instead?

12K/sqm is a very fair price for a build using mid-range materials / finishes.

Wait, the builder is charging you less per SQM for the extensions, and you're complaining? tongue.png

Extensions cost just as much per sqm to build as the rest of the house - maybe you should be complaining about the house building cost instead?

12K/sqm is a very fair price for a build using mid-range materials / finishes.

I came on here looking for advice, I'm not complaining.

Talk to another builder.

Trouble with that mate is if there is any problems I can't see getting any help once they've finished. If I stick with the original builders, they will still be on site once they finish my house due to many more getting built.

• 1 month later...

BHT 12k is a good price, if its all-in. Plus, you get one guy to do the entire project and a single point of responsibility... versus trying to get two builders to cooperate on one house build, which would be a nightmare.

• 2 months later...

probably ( or most likely definitely ) not up to the same standards but we built a 20 square meters extension ( bedroom + bathroom ) less than 2 years ago for just slightly over 60k .

just realized that is 3k per square meter

but i am a cheap b***d

detailed built here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692948-20m2-extension-1-bedroom-with-ensuite-bathroom-built-for-60k-3-weeks/#entry7225317

• 4 weeks later...

If you have not signed a contract yet I would renegotiate that you only pay the builder a fee for his labour and tools. Buy all the materials yourself and save alot of money. Very easy these days with massive home building supplies all over the place. And you get what you pay for this way.

If you pay by the square metre the builder will cheap out on materials and pocket the profits.

We have build 3 houses this way and always shocked at how much more others have paid that for a house when paying the builder for an all inclusive.

Archived