Netflix

whiteman

Does any one get Netflix in Thailand and I do not mean Liberty Shield or what ever the current name it goes by.

I am only interested in Netflix so that I can get what they offer I do not need soccor or itv or all the other sports channels for I get that in Thailand via Astro.

I want the people that live in Thailand to answer and not the guys that visit but have netflix in there own countries and then can use there uk tv licence or uk address to get net flix here in Thailand.

I am a new cab off the block and my home is Thailand I hope this makes it clear as to my question.

Thank you

I saw a article on geek site a few days ago that Netflix is planning to crack down on the Hola and similar VPS services used to access Netflix. But also had some comments that it would hurt Netflix with their customers. So give it a try but may get cut off eventually. Note that the hola with legit Netflix subscription appears to be perfectly legal, just a marketing barrier on their part.

I live here in Thailand and have Netflix. What I did was go to https://www.unblock-us.com/vpn-setup pay $50 .00 a year I think it is or $7.95 a month

having done this your computer or TV "looks" like it is in the U.S. so when you go to join Netflix you don't get the dreaded

" Netflix hasn't come to your part of the world yet"

I pay the fee via Paypal

Last year while visiting my brother in the U.S. I could use my license to get Netflix there also

Also a Netflix user via VPN here in Thailand. Quality varies depending on time of day, but can often get HD. Biggest factor will be your internet ISP - find out who's available in your area, and if possible take cable or fibre over ADSL.

Edited by RedCardinal

Yep I'm also a Netflix, HuluPlus, Vudu, Amazon from the US, BBC iplayer, 4OD NowTV from the UK user here in Thailand.

You will need a DNS masking service as others have mentioned, I use unotelly.com, but frankly they are all much of a muchness. I'd steer away from VPN's, international connectivity here sucks already added any bit of the speed 'pie' so to speak makes things worse.

I'm a guy who likes TV to look like TV, so I rarely watch on a laptop. I setup the masking at the router level then use Roku & AppleTV boxes

If you go to the Streamtopia website they have a section on how to get Netflix. I bought a box from them ( it was fully loaded already ) and it works very well. The quality of streaming on Netflix is excellent but for my tv shows I still watch them on Kodi (xbmc) as it has more up to date episodes than Netflix.

If you set up the right kind of VPN connection, such as one that uses a local Singapore server but still gives a U.S. IP, it can be MUCH MUCH faster than using a direct Thai ISP along with a DNS redirect only.

Here are three back to back speedtests to a US server done here about 11:30 am using a Singapore-US VPN connection.

post-58284-0-75896200-1430368578_thumb.j

post-58284-0-13648300-1430368592_thumb.j

post-58284-0-43511800-1430368608_thumb.j

Here are three back to back speedtests to the same US server using a direct Thai ISP connection for my True Online supposedly 30 Mbps cable connection.

post-58284-0-13178400-1430368651_thumb.j

post-58284-0-62762400-1430368677_thumb.j

post-58284-0-92925900-1430368696_thumb.j

The speeds are going to be slower in the nighttime/primetime hours because of Internet demand/use, but that's going to be the same both for the Sing-US VPN and the local ISP international connection as well.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If you set up the right kind of VPN connection, such as one that uses a local Singapore server but still gives a U.S. IP, it can be MUCH MUCH faster than using a direct Thai ISP along with a DNS redirect only.

The speeds are going to be slower in the nighttime/primetime hours because of Internet demand/use, but that's going to be the same both for the Sing-US VPN and the local ISP international connection as well.

A little more info on your set-up would be very useful. I know Thailand has a peer arrangement with Singapore, but how are you connecting from here to your server in Singapore?

What host are you using, and who's the VPN provider?

I think it's pretty clear if you look at the images I posted. If you look at the right edge of the photos I posted, you'll see the software window for the VPN provider I'm using.

The VPN provider is Astrill.com. It's using their Open Web format, and connecting to their Singapore-USA server from within their Windows PC downloadable software. I found thru my own testing, I don't get anywhere near as good speeds when using their Open VPN or PPTP protocols. But all of them are available at will thru their software (Open VPN or Open Web) or direct PC setup (PPTP or L2PT).

Just to be clear, I'm not running my own VPN server. I'm simply subscribing to a commercial VPN service that happens to offer a Singapore-based server that also provides a U.S. IP that works for Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video and other similar purposes.

In the past, I've used other VPNs that also offered a Singapore-USA server, but they only offered PPTP and Open VPN protocols, which don't have the same speed advantages, though they do offer higher levels of encryption (which actually is a disadvantage when it comes to streaming video).

Hope that helps clarify things. Others here in the past have posted on setting up their own VPN servers on hosts in Singapore and getting similarly good results. But the technical knowledge of doing that is a bit beyond me, so I prefer to just subscribe to a commercial service where I only have to download and install the software on my own PC. But the Singapore-USA approach is a proven, higher speed route.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty clear if you look at the images I posted. If you look at the right edge of the photos I posted, you'll see the software window for the VPN provider I'm using.

The VPN provider is Astrill.com. It's using their Open Web format, and connecting to their Singapore-USA server from within their Windows PC downloadable software. I found thru my own testing, I don't get anywhere near as good speeds when using their Open VPN or PPTP protocols. But all of them are available at will thru their software (Open VPN or Open Web) or direct PC setup (PPTP or L2PT).

Just to be clear, I'm not running my own VPN server. I'm simply subscribing to a commercial VPN service that happens to offer a Singapore-based server that also provides a U.S. IP that works for Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video and other similar purposes.

In the past, I've used other VPNs that also offered a Singapore-USA server, but they only offered PPTP and Open VPN protocols, which don't have the same speed advantages, though they do offer higher levels of encryption (which actually is a disadvantage when it comes to streaming video).

Hope that helps clarify things. Others here in the past have posted on setting up their own VPN servers on hosts in Singapore and getting similarly good results. But the technical knowledge of doing that is a bit beyond me, so I prefer to just subscribe to a commercial service where I only have to download and install the software on my own PC. But the Singapore-USA approach is a proven, higher speed route.

Do you run this on your router, or just the laptop app?

I run Astrill primarily just via the Windows app on my Windows desktop and laptops... with the laptop connected to my TV via HDMI cable.

Although, depending on the router, you can run Astrill or other VPNs via the router. Some routers natively support PPTP connections, but those I've found to be slow with Astrill. I also bought an Astrill router that came with DD-WRT firmware installed, which supports Open VPN.

But, in the end, the connection that I found gives me the best speed connections is their Open Web protocol, which is only available using their PC installed software. It's also a lot easier and quicker in my experience to switch servers from the desktop application vs. doing it via the web interface accessing the router, where you have to log-in with an ID and password each time.

Here's a list of their USA server locations that are available via their Open Web protocol in their Windows application.

For me here in BKK, the ones that work the best tend to be Singapore-USA, and then Seattle and LA or San Francisco as backups.

post-58284-0-76141700-1430462529_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yeah the lack of the Open web protocol is an issue. I'm really a lazy slob. I like it all to be running invisibly in the background on the router, which is why the DNS services have been my mode of choice. When I saw your speed test through Astrill's Singapore server however it did tweak my interest. Think I'm going to give the free 7 day trial a go and see how it works

Sometimes, the VPN protocol names can get confusing...

With Astrill, their Windows app provides both the standard Open VPN protocol and also a different protocol that they call Open Web, which is the version that I've found to be the fastest with them.

Then, outside of their software, their account also gives you the ability to set up either PPTP or L2TP connections, using the built-in VPN protocols in Windows, and also, to do Open VPN or PPTP through a router if the router supports it.

AFAIK, their Singapore-USA server that I like is available through all their different protocols... but the resulting speeds using may vary considerably depending on which protocol you use.

For me, I like controlling it from the PC, because at different times, one or another server will be slow or unresponsive for some reason. So I'll just switch easily to another, and go about my business. Between Singapore-USA, Seattle and Los Angeles servers, I'll usually find one or another that gives me the speed I need at any particular time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing "Open Web" is simply a proxy, but the set-up they have with that Singapore-US server is something I haven't seen from other VPN providers. Usually you're connecting to a box at a specific location which peers at that location. In this case they have a box in Sing which connects to the US somehow.

Looks interesting, and I might try using it at my router to see if I can get those speeds.

On the Astrill issue, I was chatting with the online support and they do have a applet for DDWRT flashed routers which looks like it answers a lot of my 'lazy slob' anxieties

Yes, as I mentioned above, I actually also bought a very inexpensive DD-WRT router direct from Astrill, as part of a service plan annual renewal, that includes their DD-WRT applet pre-installed.

Here's their webpage that explains a bit about using their service with DD-WRT routers:

https://www.astrill.com/dd-wrt.php

The TP-Link model I bought doesn't have any external antennas, but it does actually provide a better, stronger wifi signal in my 2 bedroom apartment vs. my True Online-provided Cisco cable modem-router combo (which also happens to have no external antennas).

Astrill lists the TP-Link model on their website now for $50, but I think I paid $20-$30 a few months back as part of renewing my service, via a special offer they had. I've also seen the same or similar model in various tech stores around BKK, without the Astrill software installed, of course.

https://www.astrill.com/astrill-vpn-routers.php

However, the downside of the Astrill router app, as I think I also mentioned above, is that it seems to only do PPTP or Open VPN connections. It doesn't do Astrill's version of Open Web. And when I speed tested all the various options, I wasn't getting nearly as fast speeds via the router-based PPTP or Open VPN connections to Singapore-USA as I was using the PC based-software with the Sing-USA Open Web connection.

Here's the Open VPN and PPTP screens I see on my DD-WRT router with the Astrill applet installed:

OpenVPN:

post-58284-0-80535600-1430562968_thumb.j

PPTP:

post-58284-0-48499300-1430563018_thumb.j

In checking with them, I see that they have several ways of installing their VPN applet onto third-party DD-WRT routers, even ones that they're not selling. One way is to install their applet from within their Windows PC VPN software, and there are several other ways. They have a web page on that subject:

http://wiki.astrill.com/index.php/Astrill_Setup_Manual:Installing_Astrill_VPN_applet_onto_your_DD-WRT_flashed_routers

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing "Open Web" is simply a proxy, but the set-up they have with that Singapore-US server is something I haven't seen from other VPN providers. Usually you're connecting to a box at a specific location which peers at that location. In this case they have a box in Sing which connects to the US somehow.

Looks interesting, and I might try using it at my router to see if I can get those speeds.

I've wondered the same thing re their Open Web protocol. I've looked, and their website doesn't exactly explain it from the technical end of things. But, it does work, in terms of providing the necessary IP address when connected.

The Sing-USA server they run is interesting. When connected and I check it via IP Location Finder, several of the results show a Singapore IP address, and several others show a US address. But the important thing for this discussion is, I can confirm that both Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, and I'm pretty certain Hulu all recognize it as a U.S. IP.

PS - One of the other services I've tried in the past, HMA, also had a Singapore-US server available for Open VPN and PPTP. But the connection speeds were pretty lousy.

I've wondered the same thing re their Open Web protocol. I've looked, and their website doesn't exactly explain it from the technical end of things. But, it does work, in terms of providing the necessary IP address when connected.

The Sing-USA server they run is interesting. When connected and I check it via IP Location Finder, several of the results show a Singapore IP address, and several others show a US address. But the important thing for this discussion is, I can confirm that both Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, and I'm pretty certain Hulu all recognize it as a U.S. IP.

PS - One of the other services I've tried in the past, HMA, also had a Singapore-US server available for Open VPN and PPTP. But the connection speeds were pretty lousy.

Netflix host on AWS. The varying US/SG results you're seeing are simple Geo-IP routing tables in Route53, which is used by Cloudfront and S3 (what serve the data/streams).

Obviously, Amazon also host on AWS, not sure about Hulu.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make re "varying US/SG results."

When I'm doing speed test comparisons for the Bangkok to Singapore-USA VPN server of Astrill (Open Web vs PPTP vs Open VPN and the same with other Astrill servers like in Seattle and L.A., I'm using TestMy.Net's San Jose speed test server as the end destination.

Those results have nothing to do with who Netflix and Amazon are or aren't using for their hosting.

A person could speed test the streams coming from the Netflix or Amazon sites with different VPN set-ups. But that gets complicated and difficult to interpret, AFAIK, and isn't the same thing as a regular speed test that tries to max out the capacity of one's internet connection. The streaming services aren't trying to deliver the most amount of data possible or the fastest stream, but rather, the best quality stream that can play with stability and not needing a lot of rebuffering.

Both Netflix and Amazon offer varying rates of streams from their ends (some user configurable and some automatic, such as SD vs HD and automatic bandwidth sensing) that raise or lower the quality/bandwidth of the stream based on the individual user's sensed bandwidth capacity and/or account streaming quality settings.