Try explaining this plot to a Thai ..

OK - I make a lot of assumptions based on the number of Hollywood movies many Thais are more than happy to watch, but I was surprised when I had to try to explain what an angel was (much less an Archangel ..) to several Thai ladies with a good grasp of the English language :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_%28TV_series%29

Given that the movie it seems to be based on was a stinker, I'm not expecting great things from this series but a change is as good as a holiday. What our discussion drove home to me is that while Thais definitely 'get' demons, perhaps the angel concept isnt as immediately obvious to someone from another culture. They certainly have enough scary apparitions in the Hindu-Buddhist-animist mix that most Thais seem to adhere to, but even when I showed them stills from the series - complete with black wings - it was difficult to try to get the extensive mythology around the angel concept across. The best I could manage was a feeble 'they fight the demons' but going any further requires some understanding of the whole 'God lives in heaven and the demons come from hell' schtick. You either nod along with that lot or you change the channel - I suspect that many Thais will be inclined to change the channel.

I dont want to turn this into a discussion around religion - I expect that the Romans and the Egyptians had all manner of winged deities long before JC rocked up - but it was interesting to run headlong into something I took for granted based purely on the mindshare that Hollywood enjoys even in Asia. No shortage of supernatural themes in the film and TV output in this neck of the woods, but somehow the angel concept doesnt seem to have made the transition. If we can keep the moral minority out of this and avoid stereotypes, I'd be interested to hear intelligent feedback from anyone who has found themselves in a similar position.

Only when I was new here did I attempt discussions about "complicated" subjects. It was a waste of time.

Since then, my conversations with Thai women are along the lines of "Light skin beautiful; dark skin no beautiful."

• Like 2

Angels are known in Thailand but, maybe not exactly as Christian images depict them.

Many girls are nicknamed Fa - which, I am told means angel.

Here is a link to a Thai angel http://www.picturesfromhistory.com/gallery/CPA0013001-0013500/image/412/Thailand_Nang_fa_angel_motif_on_the_main_viharn_Wat_Phra_That_Lampang_Luang_northern_Thailand

Also, when I googled Thai angel I discovered that Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has the name Fa (angel) in her full title and is commonly known as “Phra Thep” (princess angel).

• Like 1

Why do you feel the need to go into detail on things that, well, lets face the detail of is more interesting to us than them.

OK, I know you probably feel a bit more detail will enhance the experience, I've been there, Rode the pony, eat the pie and got the T shirt. I have found myself in the past explaining a sub plot running in a movie to a Thai girlfriend........Don't bother, your wasting your breath, I've learnt to not give explanation to anything unless my wife asks me a direct question on a topic or subject.......Or I think she is about to do some dumb sh#t.

Bottom line.......No one, not even Thais appreciate a smart A##!

Why do you feel the need to go into detail on things that, well, lets face the detail of is more interesting to us than them.

OK, I know you probably feel a bit more detail will enhance the experience, I've been there, Rode the pony, eat the pie and got the T shirt. I have found myself in the past explaining a sub plot running in a movie to a Thai girlfriend........Don't bother, your wasting your breath, I've learnt to not give explanation to anything unless my wife asks me a direct question on a topic or subject.......Or I think she is about to do some dumb sh#t.

I was asked what the 'movie' was about and I tried to explain that it was about a group of angels who had decided to wage war on humanity. That relies on the assumption that others know what an angel is supposed to be - clearly, that wasnt the case. No biggie.

Angels are part of the whole Heaven/Hell, Good/Evil Christian narrative. Remember in Buddhism there is no deity, no ultimate resting place be it Heaven or as I'm sure in my case Hell. Everyone dies then the spirit is waiting for rebirth, so the concept of a Angel Cop so to speak doesn't apply, there are just good or bad spirits all awaiting rebirth

I was asked what the 'movie' was about and I tried to explain that it was about a group of angels who had decided to wage war on humanity. That relies on the assumption that others know what an angel is supposed to be - clearly, that wasnt the case. No biggie.

Laptop/Smartphone plus thai-language.com might help solve your problem.

I find it a very useful site for understanding, clarifying and rectifying/avoiding mistakes. I most recently used it to understand that someone thought that an animal in a photo was a rat, and then to tell them it was in fact a rabbit.

angel: thuut sa wan ทูตสวรรค์

male angel: thaeh wa daa เทวดา

male angel; thaayo เทว

deity

angel; fairy : thaehp เทพ

god; deity;

divine being

fairy; : thaehp thi daa เทพธิดา

goddess;

angel

Mr Worldwide,stick to Ghosts, Angels are a long way down the line,at least 3 decades!

True, but they instantly recognised this image from notorious Japanese horror classic 'The Ring'. As I said earlier, these ladies have absolutely no problem with the demon concept.

TheRIng.jpg

Seems men with wings disappeared about the same time as Marvel rejigged Iron Man for the 21st century.

5ee002a2d31f320cf4fd26210fbc2703.jpg

Only when I was new here did I attempt discussions about "complicated" subjects. It was a waste of time.

Since then, my conversations with Thai women are along the lines of "Light skin beautiful; dark skin no beautiful."

'Since then, my conversations with Thai women are along the lines of "Light skin beautiful; dark skin no beautiful."'

I'm sure you spend a lot of time with Thai women who consider you their intellectual equal.

• Like 1

Mr Worldwide,stick to Ghosts, Angels are a long way down the line,at least 3 decades!

True, but they instantly recognised this image from notorious Japanese horror classic 'The Ring'. As I said earlier, these ladies have absolutely no problem with the demon concept.

Seems men with wings disappeared about the same time as Marvel rejigged Iron Man for the 21st century.

" these ladies have absolutely no problem with the demon concept. "

Probably a consequence of meeting a lot of typical high quality farang "tourists."

Edited by Suradit69

Angels are part of the whole Heaven/Hell, Good/Evil Christian narrative. Remember in Buddhism there is no deity, no ultimate resting place be it Heaven or as I'm sure in my case Hell. Everyone dies then the spirit is waiting for rebirth, so the concept of a Angel Cop so to speak doesn't apply, there are just good or bad spirits all awaiting rebirth

Maybe not in your buddhism, but there are sooooooooo many buddhisms.....

Just a quick observation - of the Thais I've met, Buddhism is only one part of their religious belief structure. AFAIK, the spirit houses have absolutely nothing to do with Buddhism and shrines like Erawan wouldn't be considered out of place on Bali. I dont know which part of Theravada Buddhism teaches kids about Ganesh or any of the other Hindu Gods, but they all seem happy to wai to the images.

As I said at the start, I dont want this to be a discussion around religion, but our early indoctrination provides a rich vein for novelists and scriptwriters. If you can grow up believing in a magical elephant, surely you can accept the concept of a man with wings - I guess James Cameron needs to write one into the next instalment of Avatar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_folklore

ganesha.jpg

H

And then she said.... what human, dear? Farang? Edited by jerojero

Thai buddhism is a mix of Buddhism,hinduism and animism,the buddhism as we see in the Wats,the hindu influence from statues of ganesh and also shiva,and the animism that existed before theses two religions from India spread here,so true Buddhism [if there is such a thing],it is not ,at least not as Budda himself envisioned it.

• Like 1

I have met much more sophisticated women in Thailand that could keep short conversations about how hot the weather is and repeatedly ask "did you eat yet?" questions.

• Like 1

Keep a good spot for me near the furnace if you get there before me. I hate getting cold feet, if some joker should sneak in a snowball, to test the old theory.

did not bother reading any thing more than the first few responses, and except for one(gave him a like) commenting on the OP's communication skills as possible part of the problem

the rest was nothing but racist tripe. and if some dont get that, I suggest it is them who have a problem grasping even the simplest concepts.

If such simple concept is difficult to communicate, it is more likely the inability of the communicator to communicate, or his choice of people to associate with or both, rather than some inability of Thais to grasp even the simplest things

This Thread is more a reflection on the quality of some expats here rather than the Thais