Shortage of labour in Thailand likely to reach 300,000-600,000 in next 3-5 years

webfact

You can easily add a Zero to the numbers; we're closing down our operations and shall never ever do any business here in Thailand again which requires labour. Possibly the most overpriced arrogant ignorant labour force I ever came across. Hardly anybody resigns normally but just walks off the job and if they don't steal something worth six digits it is obsolete to file anything with the authorities.

The chicken come home to roost; lets see how the Thais are in, say 10 or 15 years. Yet, as mentioned, not they are to blame but the system is a total failure. Some 30 years ago, when I came first, I was talking to the parents of today's employees. They knew likewise little to nothing but were willing to listen and to learn. Over a generation that went down the toilet again. Pathetic!

I felt your pain several years ago and moved manufacturing outside Thailand where people are willing to work, learn and grow. The attitude is 180 degrees to that of Thailand. People show up on time, are motivated, stay in a company for many years and grow, go to school to increase skills (at my expense) and get promoted.

It is not good to do business in a country with zero unemployment, or where someone can quit a job this morning and get a new one in the afternoon for 50 baht more (or less) or go lie in a hammock and on the front porch for a few weeks before they need money.

There is zero motivation besides the last day of the month, an attitude of laziness and face-saving that makes managing Thai's very challenging.

I'll leave managing Thais to the Thais.

• Like 2

If all the lazy young people in Thailand go to work instead of sitting at home playing games on the computer and being idiots , trouble makers , steeling , bludging of the rest of the family than there would not be a shortage of labour and workers in Thailand for the next 100 years,,,,Young Thais don't want to work,,,,

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There's a terrible shortage of skilled craftsmen in Bangkok now at any price. A good friend is having a hard time converting his guest house into efficiency apartments because he can't find carpenters, plumbers, tile layers, etc. and he's offering double the old wages but he won't let the workers live on-site and he has had some who lied about their skill level so now he has to personally supervise all work. He's not a happy camper as he is losing money because of the down time from closing the guest house until he can begin leasing apartments; which he can't do until all work is completed. I wish the vocational schools could focus their student's attention on learning a trade instead of joining a school mob to attack other school mobs. I would like to see some retired Farangs allowed to informally teach some of the building trades. It would certainly benefit the country and the Farang would benefit from having skilled workers available. I want to build a house and am willing to train my workforce but it is not allowed. Education, of all types, is the major impediment to improving lives in this country. You can only blame the 'Elite' so much for willful ignorance.

Im an expat of 14yrs here in Thailand and a ex Forman Bricklayer who has managed many many contracts over the yrs, when you look at the new builds it is absolutely a joke there is no tradesmen here. So if you ever here of anyone wanting a teacher give me a call, i believe that companies here would get a lot better quality work done if they used more Farangs

Same in my Game mate , they all think they can do it themselves and don't want to pay expat wages but normally they can't do a job on schedule with any quality , Piss poor quality and safety

• Like 1

yeah i thought it about time some clown brought up the prostitute angle, so what would you do then chummy, ?? work in a factory for 26 days for 9000 baht, or go out and earn that kind of money in one night .

yeah i thought it about time some clown brought up the prostitute angle, so what would you do then chummy, ?? work in a factory for 26 days for 9000 baht, or go out and earn that kind of money in one night .

I myself quite like sex.. Not sure I would want to do it 6 times in a night with six different people!!!

You can easily add a Zero to the numbers; we're closing down our operations and shall never ever do any business here in Thailand again which requires labour. Possibly the most overpriced arrogant ignorant labour force I ever came across. Hardly anybody resigns normally but just walks off the job and if they don't steal something worth six digits it is obsolete to file anything with the authorities.

Yeah ! How dare those damn overpaid thais earning 300 baht a day quit.Things were much better when those coolies put in a solid 14 hours a day for 20 baht and a bowl of noodles.

And have you noticed how the rickshaw men don't run as fast as they used to? I know I've put on some wieght but from the family estate to Bangkok Polo Clubhouse seems to take an extra hour - even after we let him wear shoes.

COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Rikshaw_voortgetr

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

It is not good to do business in a country with zero unemployment, or where someone can quit a job this morning and get a new one in the afternoon for 50 baht more (or less) or go lie in a hammock and on the front porch for a few weeks before they need money.

Ok so move your business to someplace like Spain or Greece and quit complaining already.

• Like 1

Ok so move your business to someplace like Spain or Greece and quit complaining already.

Moved manufacturing over 2 years ago to Vietnam.

No complaining on my side. I couldn't be happier.

Just wish the Government would increase the daily wage...as it drives so many more Customers out of Thailand to a quality and cost effective manufacturing country.

Carry on.

Just wish the Government would increase the daily wage...as it drives so many more Customers out of Thailand to a quality and cost effective manufacturing country.

Carry on.

So you don't think that a Viet worker will quit to take a higher paying job elsewhere if it was offered to them?

I cant get workers and if I do you i see their work gradually drop off

then they start having days off

the dogs sick

mums not well

dad died

advance them salary because of problems

then they do a runner

the moon is in the seventh house

went out the night before and still drink

and some of my clients have other issues like stealing, under selling your product with the competitors, demanding more for less etc.

blah blah

I am afraid we are in for stormy weather

• Like 1

History repeating its self, if exports keep declining and new technology is not introduced I can't see to many investors or multi-national companies investing in a country that is stagnating and going no where.Today I heard a Singaporean "BIG" businessman say he would not invest or move his factories to Thailand because of poor government and no solid plans for the future of the country.

Thailand has plenty of workers, they are just employed in the wrong labour-intensive industry producing a low value crop.

"Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Rice Farmers" with apologies to Willy

Here is the latest - children of rice farmers are no longer helping to farm rice, nor are they keen learners in schools either.

They spend most of their time online, gaming or boozing, and teens are becoming parents...

Maybe they learn IT and (family) welfare. Edited by micmichd

He is a good tradesman and a nice guy but the money he gets is sufficient for his needs and he does not have to think about working.

Good point. There are simply different values in Thai culture. Even long term expats seem not to understand this. Farang value people only for being efficient and creating as much value as possible. A Thai's goal is to be happy. Now. No worries about the future, no long term planning. And that's probably what makes Thailand the "land of smiles". So don't complain! Relax and try to catch a bit of this happiness!

True enough but there has to be some middle ground. Some things you have to take seriously and give your full attention.

Edited by Kaalle

Yet there are all those prostitutes and their customers pretending they have to sell themselves as they cannot get a proper job, somebody is lying somewhere.

Minimum wage doesn't pay for papas new pick up truck .

Edited by Kaalle
  • Like 1

Carry on.

So you don't think that a Viet worker will quit to take a higher paying job elsewhere if it was offered to them?

Stupid question.

...but if all you are doing is paying a basic salary then they may.

But when you pay above required rates, have health scheme, training scheme, bonuses and you still come out ahead over Thailand...very few leave.

Edited by DLock
  • Like 2

The chicken come home to roost; lets see how the Thais are in, say 10 or 15 years. Yet, as mentioned, not they are to blame but the system is a total failure. Some 30 years ago, when I came first, I was talking to the parents of today's employees. They knew likewise little to nothing but were willing to listen and to learn. Over a generation that went down the toilet again. Pathetic!

I am with you there.

After 10 years, i can not handle it anymore, honestly.

I am looking to sell all and not sure if i ever want to do any business here.

I have been short staffed for at least 4 years, and every new staff is as bad as the previous one.

Theft is beyond annoying, when police refuse to take any action, yet labor department expect you to pay them full wage.

• Like 1

There's a terrible shortage of skilled craftsmen in Bangkok now at any price. A good friend is having a hard time converting his guest house into efficiency apartments because he can't find carpenters, plumbers, tile layers, etc. and he's offering double the old wages but he won't let the workers live on-site and he has had some who lied about their skill level so now he has to personally supervise all work. He's not a happy camper as he is losing money because of the down time from closing the guest house until he can begin leasing apartments; which he can't do until all work is completed. I wish the vocational schools could focus their student's attention on learning a trade instead of joining a school mob to attack other school mobs. I would like to see some retired Farangs allowed to informally teach some of the building trades. It would certainly benefit the country and the Farang would benefit from having skilled workers available. I want to build a house and am willing to train my workforce but it is not allowed. Education, of all types, is the major impediment to improving lives in this country. You can only blame the 'Elite' so much for willful ignorance.

Im an expat of 14yrs here in Thailand and a ex Forman Bricklayer who has managed many many contracts over the yrs, when you look at the new builds it is absolutely a joke there is no tradesmen here. So if you ever here of anyone wanting a teacher give me a call, i believe that companies here would get a lot better quality work done if they used more Farangs

The road-block is government xenophobia. I've never heard of a Farang teaching at a trade-school. If someone on this forum knows more about this, please post.

I grew up in the country and tried most of the building trades before I moved to Dallas (no money in the country), I became a construction foreman for commercial high-rise buildings because of my varied experience. I'm not a master tradesman but have a lot to offer; especially compared to the skill levels available in Thailand now. (my experience was also useful for teaching the Mexican immigrants who were most of my crews).

I got a friend he is the sixth of 11 children of a poor street vendor who migrated to Bangkok from southern China. He left school early, at the age of nine, to work. He never seemed to have a problem with Thai workers.

Another guy I know started with a 2,000 dollar loan and a bunch of Thai employees.

Then there is this fellow; Malaysian-born Tan started out as an unskilled laborer at 17 before purchasing his first business -- a newstand --and eventually moving into real estate. He lost it all in 1997, then rebuilt his fortune starting with a chain of wedding studios.

You might know their names.....

Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi Net worth US Dollars 12.2 billion.

Bill heinike Net worth US Dollars 1.1 Billion

Tan Passakornnatee: Mr Oishi Net worth US Dollars 640 million

I guess some people know how to handle Thai employes and some don't.

When you're hot you're hot.

I got a friend he is the sixth of 11 children of a poor street vendor who migrated to Bangkok from southern China. He left school early, at the age of nine, to work. He never seemed to have a problem with Thai workers.

Another guy I know started with a 2,000 dollar loan and a bunch of Thai employees.

Then there is this fellow; Malaysian-born Tan started out as an unskilled laborer at 17 before purchasing his first business -- a newstand --and eventually moving into real estate. He lost it all in 1997, then rebuilt his fortune starting with a chain of wedding studios.

LOL, you actually think your "friends" made money the "clean" way?giggle.gif

• Like 2

LOL. So? What does that have to do with anything? giggle.gif

If you wanted clean why on earth did you come to Thailand?cheesy.gif

Three self made men. From nothing to mega rich in Thailand. There is a lesson there for those wise enough to learn it. The three men above did not wine and moan they worked. They failed and fell down and got back up again dusted themselves off and went on. wai2.gif

Thailand needs labor because the birth rate is too low. The kids are not doing it or using protection; either way they are not making enough babies.

The answer is simple; have more children and bring in more people from Burma.

You all have taken a thread about a severe labor shortage and turned it into the usual Thai bash. Thailand has more jobs than people - get over it.

The unemployment rate around here, Vietnam, Singapore and Thailand is 2% and down. In the West it is 5% and up. Wonder why? More jobs than people in SEA.

Edited by lostoday

Three self made men. From nothing to mega rich in Thailand. There is a lesson there for those wise enough to learn it. The three men above did not wine and moan they worked. They failed and fell down and got back up again dusted themselves off and went on. wai2.gif

Perfect example of someone not having a clue.

Were you under illusion rich men else where make billions by running clean business?

No one makes that kind of money the "clean" way.

Self made is what you think, it is far from truth. That is not to say there are no business people who do run good businesses.

Why do not you read up for example how CP operates and makes money, before spouting nonsensethumbsup.gif

Thaksin also went from nothing to mega rich, i am sure it was clean all the wayw00t.gif

Perfect example of someone not having a clue.

Were you under illusion rich men else where make billions by running clean business?

No one makes that kind of money the "clean" way.

Self made is what you think, it is far from truth. That is not to say there are no business people who do run good businesses.

Why do not you read up for example how CP operates and makes money, before spouting nonsensethumbsup.gif

Thaksin also went from nothing to mega rich, i am sure it was clean all the wayw00t.gif

I'm spouting the reverse of what most people have been bashing on about in this thread which is the sorry state of Thai employees. The three guys I mentioned have all done very well and become billionaires using Thai employees. When confronted with facts you start trashing success saying it must be dirty.

What we have on your part is jealousy because you could not compete in the real rough and tumble world of Thai business. Of course it's not easy. Some win some lose. Every dollar made in the commodities market is lost by someone else. There are always winners and losers. Losing economies run out of jobs not people hence the labor shortage in Thailand.

American Footballs are deflated, cricket games are fixed and I won't even go into Seth Blatter but all that is not what this thread is about. It is not about bad bad bad Thailand you are a success because you cheat.

The thread is not about morality in Corporate Thailand. It is about there are more jobs than workers.

Edited by lostoday
  • Like 1

I'm spouting the reverse of what most people have been bashing on about in this thread which is the sorry state of Thai employees. The three guys I mentioned have all done very well and become billionaires using Thai employees. When confronted with facts you start trashing success saying it must be dirty.

What we have on your part is jealousy because you could not compete in the real rough and tumble world of Thai business. Of course it's not easy. Some win some lose. Every dollar made in the commodities market is lost by someone else. There are always winners and losers. Losing economies run out of jobs not people hence the labor shortage in Thailand.

Again, they did not do well because of employees, they did well because of "dealings"

No, we do not have jealousy, i do not want nor need that much money.

One thing you fail to realize, this much money does not fall from the sky, nor does it come from employees,

Rest assured many people have been hurt, scammed and killed while above mentioned climbed.

While the life of rich looks great from the outside, it is far from great on the inside.thumbsup.gif

I am certain you will still struggle to understand, so make a visit to any super store and watch lazy ass employees playing on their phones without a single clue where anything is or what they are selling.

You do not think business losses money?

Many including myself, did not say we lost money, we all said staff are useless and cost money.

Do try to keep upfacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Again, they did not do well because of employees, they did well because of "dealings"

No, we do not have jealousy, i do not want nor need that much money.

One thing you fail to realize, this much money does not fall from the sky, nor does it come from employees,

Rest assured many people have been hurt, scammed and killed while above mentioned climbed.

While the life of rich looks great from the outside, it is far from great on the inside.thumbsup.gif

I am certain you will still struggle to understand, so make a visit to any super store and watch lazy ass employees playing on their phones without a single clue where anything is or what they are selling.

You do not think business losses money?

Many including myself, did not say we lost money, we all said staff are useless and cost money.

Do try to keep upfacepalm.gif

There is no morality in business that is what lawyers are for. Stop your off topic rantings. Tan started out as an unskilled laborer at 17 before purchasing his first business -- a newstand --and eventually moving into real estate. He lost it all in 1997, then rebuilt his fortune starting with a chain of wedding studios now he has almost a billion. Money are the check marks that measure success in business. Bad businessmen go out of business good businessmen get rich.

There are successful people in Thailand and lots of them that know how to work with Thai employees. You don't. If the Thai employees were that bad there would be high unemployment instead Thailand has low unemployment and labor shortages. Try and stay on topicgiggle.gif