Shortage of labour in Thailand likely to reach 300,000-600,000 in next 3-5 years

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, you want more babies, more immigrants, more robots ?

You mean:

You want a bigger slave labour pool to select from. Technical devices that make selection and wage dumping even easier.

And, of course, you wouldn't give a damn about those who didn't have the honour to be selected by you.

Guess that is not what Thai people want.

Why would you presume to completely change what I wrote. Thailand has lots of college grads and does not need any more. Thailand needs working people and ways to get jobs done. Not everyone can be a boss. Coco can design the dress in an office anywhere but you need people or robots to sew it.

It would take a whole lot of money and planning to move Oxford to Thailand. A lot easier to send one Thai guy to Oxford and make him PM when he comes back.

Trouble with the universities in Thailand is that they dont develop the students to think and resolve problems. Most I have spoken with can solve a problem if the answer is in a text book, the others who can solve the problem have been working with people from outside of Thailand

Who you talking to? Too many kids go to college in Thailand. Send em to Oxford, that's my idea. I didn't say anything good about Thai universities for you to challenge me. Send them to Oxford and Harvard don't bother with the little schools here in Thailand. We/they (Thai people) just want rich folks to be educated anyway and the rich folks have enough money to educate abroad.

See, this is how it is supposed to work. Thai people are just as smart as anyone else. All that is lacking in Thailand is good education and that is on purpose. Don't try and rock the boat. Oxford needs the money.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, you want more babies, more immigrants, more robots ?

You mean:
You want a bigger slave labour pool to select from. Technical devices that make selection and wage dumping even easier.
And, of course, you wouldn't give a damn about those who didn't have the honour to be selected by you.

Guess that is not what Thai people want.

Why would you presume to completely change what I wrote. Thailand has lots of college grads and does not need any more. Thailand needs working people and ways to get jobs done. Not everyone can be a boss. Coco can design the dress in an office anywhere but you need people or robots to sew it.

It would take a whole lot of money and planning to move Oxford to Thailand. A lot easier to send one Thai guy to Oxford and make him PM when he comes back.

Trouble with the universities in Thailand is that they dont develop the students to think and resolve problems. Most I have spoken with can solve a problem if the answer is in a text book, the others who can solve the problem have been working with people from outside of Thailand

Who you talking to? Too many kids go to college in Thailand. Send em to Oxford, that's my idea. I didn't say anything good about Thai universities for you to challenge me. Send them to Oxford and Harvard don't bother with the little schools here in Thailand. We/they (Thai people) just want rich folks to be educated anyway and the rich folks have enough money to educate abroad.

See, this is how it is supposed to work. Thai people are just as smart as anyone else. All that is lacking in Thailand is good education and that is on purpose. Don't try and rock the boat. Oxford needs the money.

And how many do you think would meet the entrance requirements for Oxford (not sure why you chose Oxford as that is more Political Science and the like). Rock the boat because you dont like what you read. On your way my friend. I doubt if Thailand needs more politics. If anything it needs more Engineering and Science graduate of International level.

And how many do you think would meet the entrance requirements for Oxford (not sure why you chose Oxford as that is more Political Science and the like). Rock the boat because you dont like what you read. On your way my friend. I doubt if Thailand needs more politics. If anything it needs more Engineering and Science graduate of International level.

Lots of industry in Thailand. Lots of engineers. Lots of production (86% GDP). Seems to me if one were to pick an area that needs help right away it would be politics. Not everyone can make it into Kentucky colleges Oxford seems a good second choice to me.

Re entrance requirements Oxford. Bill Clinton, Bill Bradley and Kris Kristofferson got in.

Edited by lostoday

Lots of industry in Thailand. Lots of engineers. Lots of production (86% GDP). Seems to me if one were to pick an area that needs help right away it would be politics. Not everyone can make it into Kentucky colleges Oxford seems a good second choice to me.

Re entrance requirements Oxford. Bill Clinton, Bill Bradley and Kris Kristofferson got in.

It will be their lack of ability to make moonshine that keeps them out of Kentucky. You say there are lots of engineers in Thailand. I agree there are a lot that call themselves an engineer. Pity their capabilities dont match the word

Not saying you shouldn't let other people get your ideas. Allow them some variations, then it's their own ideas and they can "keep face"

And, be ready to learn yourself.

" Keep face" , do the Thai prostitutes "keep face" ? Surely not

The industry I work in hires Thai labour. They are trained, paid above average wages, and treated with respect and dignity. We now have many skilled Thais and experience very low turnover of personnel.

Same here. We have a lot of amazingly skilled and dedicated Thais working for us. And the cost is still a tiny fraction of what we'd be paying for the same skills "back home".

Not saying you shouldn't let other people get your ideas. Allow them some variations, then it's their own ideas and they can "keep face"

As long as they are joking...

You might want to look up the Empress of Byzantine or my personal favorite, "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

People of every walk of life and occupation are still people; some good, some bad, most just normal people.

You might want to look up the Empress of Byzantine or my personal favorite, "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

People of every walk of life and occupation are still people; some good, some bad, most just normal people.

Exactly, but all this nonsense of "keep face", surely they will lose face if they are prostitutes.

Exactly, but all this nonsense of "keep face", surely they will lose face if they are prostitutes.

Not among others who also take money or favors for sex. And that's gotta be 75% of the population.

The PM can ask Obama to fly a couple of hundred thousand Central American and Mexican 'immigrants' over. That will probably patch up all the difficulties between the two nations for the time being. Similar climate. Similar levels of corruption. They'd be right at home.

Ok, now that I've had my fun, let's get to reality. If the Thai government would put their money where their mouth is, and revamped the education system so that kids in the rural areas of Thailand are actively trained for vocational jobs in Thai factories instead of gravitating to yaba because the only job in their future is toiling in the rice fields, maybe just maybe, that shortfall would be adequately filled. But, looking in my crystal ball, I see the George Dubya 'solution' coming: We need cheap foreign labor to do the jobs that Thais refuse to do!!! What utter BS, but here it comes. So here comes the influx of legal and illegals workers from surrounding countries to fill in the 'hole' in the Thai labor force. I'm sure they will redefine 'unemployed' so they can keep the unemployment rate below 2.5%. Who needs fiction when you have reality?

Edited by connda

The PM can ask Obama to fly a couple of hundred thousand Central American and Mexican 'immigrants' over. That will probably patch up all the difficulties between the two nations for the time being. Similar climate. Similar levels of corruption. They'd be right at home.

Ok, now that I've had my fun, let's get to reality. If the Thai government would put their money where their mouth is, and revamped the education system so that kids in the rural areas of Thailand are actively trained for vocational jobs in Thai factories instead of gravitating to yaba because the only job in their future is toiling in the rice fields, maybe just maybe, that shortfall would be adequately filled. But, looking in my crystal ball, I see the George Dubya 'solution' coming: We need cheap foreign labor to do the jobs that Thais refuse to do!!! What utter BS, but here it comes. So here comes the influx of legal and illegals workers from surrounding countries to fill in the 'hole' in the Thai labor force. I'm sure they will redefine 'unemployed' so they can keep the unemployment rate below 2.5%. Who needs fiction when you have reality?

Would favour a military solution?

Not among others who also take money or favors for sex. And that's gotta be 75% of the population.

Wrong, it is not even 1% of the population.

In 70 years I have never met a woman who did not take money or favors for sex. My mother and grandmother never worked outside the home and had diamonds and furs and a beautiful homes and mom didn't get it for her personality, she must have done something right.biggrin.png Edit to add mom could not cook, clean or do the laundry. Her only visible talent was shopping.

Edited by lostoday

Is this about Thai or Farang women?

Thai woman. So I ask again, do the Thai prostitutues "keep face" ? Surely not.

You go to this little town up north filled with shacks and broken down motorcycles except for 10 ladies who have palatial estates new Mercedes and fund all of the charitable activities of the village. What do you think?

In 70 years I have never met a woman who did not take money or favors for sex. My mother and grandmother never worked outside the home and had diamonds and furs and a beautiful homes and mom didn't get it for her personality, she must have done something right.biggrin.png Edit to add mom could not cook, clean or do the laundry. Her only visible talent was shopping.

Nonsense, why are you trying to defend lazy Thai prostitutes ? There is a labour shortage in Thailand.

Nonsense, why are you trying to defend lazy Thai prostitutes ? There is a labour shortage in Thailand.

The prostitution rate in Europe is much higher than in Thailand.

Given the demand is the same all over, then the productivity of Thai prostitutes is considerably higher than the productivity of Farang prostitutes. So they are not lazy at all.

Go to work yourself if you think there's a labour shortage, Mr economy expert.

This whole issue is a bit silly isn't it ?
So, Thailand needs 300,000 to 600,000 workers to supply the industrial sector. There's people on ThaiVisa who reckon it's a good idea to bring in foreigners to do those jobs. What would be the point in bringing in a load foreigners ?
Thailand has managed to attract some foreign investment in the industrial sector, and, oh look, the jobs are going to foreigners ! Thailand might as well pay money to encourage industrial plants in Cambodia if it is going to allow a load of foreigners to those jobs in Thailand !

What else ? Do people realise that Thailand's industrial boom is actually removing jobs in Europe and America ? Yes, those companies are trying to tap into Thailand's cheap labour, wages for people in Thailand are still far cheaper than in America and Europe. Okay, how about this for an idea. Let the industrial sector grow, and let them demand 600,000 workers. But here's the point, do NOT allow new workers from Laos, Cambodia and Burma to enter Thailand. Actually, target some of the foreigners (the illegal ones) and deport them, don't let them come into Thailand as registered workers after they've been deported. The big increase in demand for workers in Thailand will mean higher wages, and let the Thais do those jobs if they want to. The higher wages might actually cause Thais to do those jobs, or it might cause young Thais to apply for apprenticeships for such jobs.

The important thing is this, the foreign companies are not actually interested in setting up industrial plants in places like Cambodia, Laos and Burma. Cambodia has very little infra-structure to support industry, Cambodia hasn't got enough money to pay Chinese companies to start giant infra-structure projects in Cambodia. Laos, Laos hasn't got a coast-line, it hasn't got a harbour to export manufactured goods, hence Laos is crippled when it comes to manufacturing. They would have to transport those goods to Thailand, and then they can be re-routed to Europe and America, this doesn't make sense. And as for Burma, people go on about a lack of freedom and democracy in Thailand is reducing Thailand's attractiveness to foreign investment. Burma's lack of freedom and democracy is much more extreme than Thailand's.

So, all in all, no need for Thailand to worry about it's neighbours racing ahead of Thailand. And Thailand can look forward to moderate growth in it's industrial sector, due to foreign companies looking to close their plants in Europe and America and re-locating to Thailand. So, it doesn't matter that there's going to be a shortage of workers in Thailand, it just means that those companies must pay higher wages. And if they don't want to pay the higher wages, well, they can go home to Europe, and they can pay wages for European workers.
Get real, they're not going home to Europe, they're desperate to tap into cheaper wages outside of Europe and America.

Hardly lazy. Do you know what weight class some of those ladies are employed by? It is more like Olympic training. PS. They don't get much of a salary they work piecemeal. No honey no money.wai2.gif

Me thinks you need to meet some ladies of the night for a dose or reality. No pun intended.

This whole issue is a bit silly isn't it ?

So, Thailand needs 300,000 to 600,000 workers to supply the industrial sector. There's people on ThaiVisa who reckon it's a good idea to bring in foreigners to do those jobs. What would be the point in bringing in a load foreigners ?

Thailand has managed to attract some foreign investment in the industrial sector, and, oh look, the jobs are going to foreigners ! Thailand might as well pay money to encourage industrial plants in Cambodia if it is going to allow a load of foreigners to those jobs in Thailand !

What else ? Do people realise that Thailand's industrial boom is actually removing jobs in Europe and America ? Yes, those companies are trying to tap into Thailand's cheap labour, wages for people in Thailand are still far cheaper than in America and Europe. Okay, how about this for an idea. Let the industrial sector grow, and let them demand 600,000 workers. But here's the point, do NOT allow new workers from Laos, Cambodia and Burma to enter Thailand. Actually, target some of the foreigners (the illegal ones) and deport them, don't let them come into Thailand as registered workers after they've been deported. The big increase in demand for workers in Thailand will mean higher wages, and let the Thais do those jobs if they want to. The higher wages might actually cause Thais to do those jobs, or it might cause young Thais to apply for apprenticeships for such jobs.

The important thing is this, the foreign companies are not actually interested in setting up industrial plants in places like Cambodia, Laos and Burma. Cambodia has very little infra-structure to support industry, Cambodia hasn't got enough money to pay Chinese companies to start giant infra-structure projects in Cambodia. Laos, Laos hasn't got a coast-line, it hasn't got a harbour to export manufactured goods, hence Laos is crippled when it comes to manufacturing. They would have to transport those goods to Thailand, and then they can be re-routed to Europe and America, this doesn't make sense. And as for Burma, people go on about a lack of freedom and democracy in Thailand is reducing Thailand's attractiveness to foreign investment. Burma's lack of freedom and democracy is much more extreme than Thailand's.

So, all in all, no need for Thailand to worry about it's neighbours racing ahead of Thailand. And Thailand can look forward to moderate growth in it's industrial sector, due to foreign companies looking to close their plants in Europe and America and re-locating to Thailand. So, it doesn't matter that there's going to be a shortage of workers in Thailand, it just means that those companies must pay higher wages. And if they don't want to pay the higher wages, well, they can go home to Europe, and they can pay wages for European workers.

Get real, they're not going home to Europe, they're desperate to tap into cheaper wages outside of Europe and America.

I believe wages are only 10% of the price of an auto and I don't know about hard drives. Anyone know?

You can easily add a Zero to the numbers; we're closing down our operations and shall never ever do any business here in Thailand again which requires labour. Possibly the most overpriced arrogant ignorant labour force I ever came across. Hardly anybody resigns normally but just walks off the job and if they don't steal something worth six digits it is obsolete to file anything with the authorities.

Yeah ! How dare those damn overpaid thais earning 300 baht a day quit.Things were much better when those coolies put in a solid 14 hours a day for 20 baht and a bowl of noodles.

And have you noticed how the rickshaw men don't run as fast as they used to? I know I've put on some wieght but from the family estate to Bangkok Polo Clubhouse seems to take an extra hour - even after we let him wear shoes.

COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Rikshaw_voortgetr

Well, to start with, I never had such low paid staff and yep, THB 300/day or even the discussed increase to THB 360/day is ridiculous.

But some smart arse of an employee at that time, earning only THB 39'000 (sous chef in a restaurant) came and claimed that if the lowest level gets an increase of 50% then the rest of the team would be entitled for the same - but he would understand that this might be a little out of the league yet would stay on if his salary would get adjusted for 25% or THB 48'750.

I did a staff meeting, explained to the rest his particular request, turned around and asked him to pinpoint, who I should fire in order to save the money for his salary increase. Big eyes everywhere; they even understood that we could not jack up menus by 25% or 50%; even 10% were out of the question.

Good riddance - the bloke lost face and was never seen again; the rest is getting paid according to CPI and individual performance in relation to how our business is doing.

That, and nothing else, was my point and all this has nothing to do with elitarian attitude or behaviour. While my most important asset is and remains the staff I likewise disagree to become their slave.