Wooden Floor Varnish (and other) Problem

Konini

I should establish that I have previously had solid, laminate and parquetry floors previously, so not a total beginner in looking after them.

We have a large (165 sq mt) condo with beautiful rosewood parquetry floors everywhere but the wet area's. We have lived here just over a year, I don't know when the floor last recieved any attention. Some of the heavy traffic areas had very worn or dried, splitting varnish, there was a fair bit of scratching and there were a lot of paint splatters which appeared to be underneath the varnish. As we intend to stay here for a long time, I wanted the floors stripped and revarnished and the owner agreed it this as part of the negotiations for a new lease. Back in February we were away for 3 weeks and when we came back there was ghostly/chalky looking marks over several separate, large areas. Obvious thought was water damage, but there was no water getting in and the areas of damage were so far from each other (but all in heavy traffic areas). I didn't worry so much as it was due to be stripped and revarnished; if anything, I was rather irritated that the owner hadn't done it while we were away.

The floors have been done now and are a complete disaster. They were sanded by hand with one coat of (I assume) polyurethane varnish applied. In theory, they had enough time to apply a second coat if they didn't sand between coats, but as they were confirmed to be in the condo for one and a half days I doubt it. As soon as we walked in, we could see that the chalky white was still there in almost all of the places it had been (hadn't been sanded back enough?), there was a LOT of dust trapped in the varnish (not enough cleaning of dust before sanding?) making it look cheap and nasty but worse than that was that it looked really dirty. Not possible, I thought, it was new. We walked to a window, and immediately our footprints were very, very noticable. For me, it looked waxy or greasy, like a film over the top. I got the microfibre dust mop, and straight away the mop started buckling. Usually it does this when the mop is dirty. Even though it was clean, I put another freshly laundered microfibre mop on and it was the same. This isn't everywhere - there are very large areas where the mop glides perfectly, and very large areas where it doesn't.

I left it for a few days to ensure it was 100% dried and settled, then got the mop and bucket out and used the same floor cleaner that I've used for years (including on this very floor for over a year). On the areas where the dust mop was gliding, no problem, dried perfectly (apart from the large dust particles in or under the varnish). On the areas where the dust mop was sticking, the floors looked much, much worse after I had done them - as well as the film on the top (which seems to attract dust/dirt), there was an interesting water pattern left on the floor after it had dried. I tried polishing this off using a dry cloth, a lot of very hard work for hardly any result. I've always alternated using a mop and bucket and steam mop (without any problems), so I left it a couple of days then tried the steam mop, no difference. My old standby for pretty much everything, white vinegar hasn't worked either.

I'm really ticked off that we spent a couple of nights paying for a hotel whilst this work which has totally ruined the look of the place was done. The floor was really breathtaking, now it just looks grubby and awful. I haven't been in touch with the owner yet, we had to go away for a few days and I was waiting to see if the vinegar would work - when diluted vinegar didn't work, I knew I couldn't make it any worse so yesterday I tried some neat vinegar on a small area which didn't work, then neat vinegar and I put the steam mop on it straight away. I know it's not anything I've done, because the dust mop wouldn't glide across big areas before I had even thought about touching it with anything more than a duster. The work was done by an otherwise capable carpenter/handyman or more likely his 2 labourers. I don't want to get these guys into trouble, but there's no way I can live with these floors for the next 3 years we've committed to in the lease, I hate the fact that they look so dirty and I don't have any confidence that they are capable of doing the job properly. I've thought about re-doing it myself, sanding one room/section at a time.

I really don't know what to do and would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

I feel your frustration also. I have polished parquet floors and I know what a painstaking laborious task it is to varnish them.

I also know how long it takes to do just 25m2 sanding varnishing and waiting for it to dry....

However first thing is you need to approach the landlord and let him know how disappointed you are with the work he organised. If its unacceptable then he broke the terms of your agreement.

As for the guys who did the work if they are culpable then request someone with some ability does the next makeover.

Cheap polyeurathene really is poor its very diluted and it dries in an hour and leaves brush and roller marks in it. Sounds like they used cheap stuff. Two coats are essential to give a depth of finish but i wouldnt be sanding again between coats as the dust will be there forever.

Its difficult noy to suggest starting again with proper sanding and dust extraction but you cannot keep varnishing on top over again.

I would also suggest that you ask for a rent freeze until the works are completed again or mention you will be looking for somewhere new.

Thank you for that.

We have negotiated a really good deal with the rent, and have found ourselves the perfect (if a little large) condo in the perfect location facing the perfect direction (no sun), so really don't want to move and are hoping to stay here until we're carried out in boxes. Our landlord is also the owner of the building (large high rise) and is very reasonable and accommodating, so I'm sure he'll come to the party. I am still holding out some hope that the situation can be salvaged without having to go through the inconvenience and cost of having to move out for a couple or of days - especially as we had a new fabric lounge suite delivered yesterday and don't want dust anywhere near it - it was custom made so we couldn't delay delivery. It really may be a case of if I want a job doing properly I'll have to do it myself, although my husband is not at all happy with that idea. I've also been promised re-grouting in the bathrooms and kitchen, and have been assured that the old grout will be totally removed before any new being put in, so the owner is aware of how things ought to be (but are often not) done and the problem with finishing in general here in Thailand, which is why I know that I won't have a problem if I have to go to him instead of being able to fix it up myself.

Any clues on why (what I think is) water damage would have appeared during our 3 week absence? That one is really baffling me; I can't reconcile it being a coincidence that it was just 'time' to strip and varnish while we were away - nobody was in there when we weren't, I last mopped the floor a couple of days before we left and the damage wasn't visible before we left, which means it can't be water - can it? Perhaps doing the only just warm iron trick that I've used on wooden tables in the past to get rid of coffee cup marks would work - I certainly have the patience if I thought it was going to work as I get obsessive about things being perfect as well as squeaky clean. Also, why the sticky/waxy/greasy film would be in some places but not others and if that can be fixed? Of course the worst of it is in the most noticeable areas with the light showing off every imperfection. I could (at a stretch) live with the dust in the varnish and water (?) damage if I can get the rest of the floor looking nice and clean.

It really is such a beautiful floor, and with it being such a large expanse it truly looked stunning. Such a shame that they have done this to it. I want my old floor back. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by Konini

Sorry to say, the only way to do it properly is strip it right back to bare wood.

Sand it thoroughly with 120grit then 220 then 400 grit paper. Then a minimum of two preferably three coats of a good floor varnish. I've seen impressive and long lasting results using Sadolin products.

http://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sadolin-extra-durable-floor-varnish/

If, or should I say when, you do have it re-done (and that's what's needed) you should insist on proper supervision of the workers. Maybe yourself if you know what's needed. Thai painters are the bottom of the food chain and cannot be left to their own decisions.

I know hind sight is not helpful at this point, but you really should not have moved in until the floor was acceptable. The dust will get into EVERYTHING and is very nasty. Try to put up barriers. And, make sure the idiots wear masks.

If, or should I say when, you do have it re-done (and that's what's needed) you should insist on proper supervision of the workers. Maybe yourself if you know what's needed. Thai painters are the bottom of the food chain and cannot be left to their own decisions.

I know hind sight is not helpful at this point, but you really should not have moved in until the floor was acceptable. The dust will get into EVERYTHING and is very nasty. Try to put up barriers. And, make sure the idiots wear masks.

I really would like to do it myself, then I know it's done properly. I've done it before but with a big mechanical sander in an empty house. No way I'm going to do that here, but I can clear one room at a time and have dust sheets to cover any cracks around the doors so the dust will be totally isolated. I can also live with walking around on bare boards until the whole floor is sanded, maybe better to do it that way as I can dust the walls and ceilings down and make sure that everything is dust free before varnishing. It's just so annoying.

We've been living here for over a year, the floors were perfectly OK apart from expected wear and tear in high traffic areas. It was part of negotiating a longer lease that it came up as needing to be done. It probably hasn't been done for years.

Still no ideas on where my 'water' damage came from? The only clues are high traffic areas and being left totally alone for 3 weeks.

There's no way the project should use hand sanding to strip down. Need the floor sander. Hand sanding only lightly between coats.

The "water damage" may well be the result of them trying to thin down with something - maybe even water. Don't know why, but the first thing a typical Thai painter does is thin whatever to about 50%.

There's no way the project should use hand sanding to strip down. Need the floor sander. Hand sanding only lightly between coats.

The "water damage" may well be the result of them trying to thin down with something - maybe even water. Don't know why, but the first thing a typical Thai painter does is thin whatever to about 50%.

Thanks, sounds like it's going to be a nightmare.

The water damage appeared spontaneously when we came back from a 3 week trip with nobody in the apartment, they just didn't seem to sand far enough down to get rid of it. I don't know how old the old varnish was, it was starting to show signs of being bit worn when we moved in a year ago but wasn't too bad. I can definitely see them watering the varnish down last time it was done however many years ago that was, they actually put the varnish on over the top of small (and largeish) paint splats near the walls.