Reading Between The Lines....Teaching In Thailand & Contracts...

Please see attached job offers. On top it says 35 K, but when you read further, you'll find out that they only pay for ten months.

Only 3 K more for a degree holder? Okay, somebody with a education related degree would make slightly more than a guy who's working at some Burger Kings and spitting on our onion rings?

I made the math and considering that you usually pay 750 baht, here're the actual numbers, what you'll have in cash. But then you still have to pay for house, Internet, electricity, water, etc....

The native English speaking teacher with a degree will take home 28,416 baht per month,because there's a two months period where no money comes in. So can you really save enough money to cover these dry times?

The native English speaker, who knows all about hamburgers takes home 25,916 baht per month. Let's say the degree less guy has a family with one child, take away 6 K just for housing, which seems pretty much realistic.

Then the next problem. On what sort of visa will you be, when you don't get paid two months? It goes on and on and on.

The part that the contract is renewable means absolutely nothing, because once the school year's over the employee's jobless and can only hope that the contract will be renewed.

Another school in Surin's looking for a native English speaker, with degree and experience, offering 15 K.

Dear mods. I hope it's okay for you to post this here, as some people might be looking for a teaching position.

Please be careful what you sign and think twice.

post-158336-0-97497000-1430302051_thumb.

post-158336-0-53914600-1430302090_thumb.

I made the math and considering that you usually pay 750 baht, here're the actual numbers, what you'll have in cash. But then you still have to pay for house, Internet, electricity, water, etc....

You usually pay 750 baht for your SS insurance per month. Sorry, got somehow lost.

At least 15k??

The beers are on me smile.png

Also had a good laugh. biggrin.png

That's what we "tough" guys spend in one night at Nana, sitting on our bar stools and lookin' down at all the other fools.....facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Does "degree holder" mean any bachelors degree, or only education degrees? Honestly, even though I have one, I don't think that a bachelors (in any subject including education) prepares one to be a much better teacher in Thailand than someone without a degree. And actually, people with ed. degrees are likely to burn out even faster because they have expectations about how a school should operate that just aren't realistic in Thailand. They get here, witness the shambles, and run away. Fast.

The main problem with jobs like these (at least the one that pays 32k+) is the 10 month contract. Pretty much guarantees 100% turnover every year. Non-O holders might be OK with a 10 month contract, but the total salary for the year better be competitive versus a 12 month contract. Non-B holders might not realize just how much a 10 month contract will screw them ... until it is too late. But a very high percentage of the rubes that fall for that trick at first are going to be the same ones that vanish at the end of the first term (or even earlier) and leave the school in a lurch, needing to fill vacancies left by those that "do a runner", in very off-peak times. Schools that pull that crap are just shooting themselves in the foot.

...As to the one offering "at least 15k", well, I can only question the sanity of whoever posted that. And the sanity of anyone that responds to it even moreso.

• Like 1

Hear, hear! 30 k x 10 months is much worse than 12 x 25 k. And we needn't argue about that being a very low salary...

Another issue is the workload. Having 20 hours divided by classes like M4 and M5 versus a homeroom teacher's stress when she has to teach other subjects as well (or has to prepare xx lessons versus just 2 as there will me M4/1-10 and M5/1-10).

Relax - and focus on getting a job with no crazy workload or some mean management sneaking in 25 hours and then dumping difficult P1 kids on to you.

As for those 15 k jobs, I know such a government high school. They never bother with stuff like a B-Visa, a WP or anything regulated by the TCT. Someone from Cameroon took the job and thensurprised his friends on FB about his new role as "teacher".

Seems the schools brood about ways to cut costs instead of how to improve their operations.

Did you notice the 2md posting was for a Laos teacher? Do you teach Laos? My guess is 15k is pretty good money for a Laos person teaching their native language. Why they post the job on an English language site is another matter.

I'm not a teacher. My wife is although she has chosen another profession as a Chef, she is qualified for both.

My first question is, How do you people put up with this crap from the schools?

Mrs Jessi is in charge of catering at a private school, she has given notice and will finish up on 20th next month.

one day last week she finished work 15 minutes early because her Father had been rushed to Hospital. The boss told her if she misses any more time at work she wont receive her last month of salary. She came home very upset and told me what happened. She took my advice and contacted the labor office, they told her the school can not do that and if she has a problem with the school to contact them.

This private school does not care about the children's education they only care about MAKING MONEY.

They charge about 1 1/2 million B a year per child and pride them self as an international school. They have 2 native English teachers employed and the rest are Filipino's. They do not employ Thai teachers. They also have a large international school in Bangkok.

The hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJL because there are claims of fraud in both schools, giving false receipts for goods bought. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Second question: Can one of the teachers please tell me if 1st 4th & 5h of May are school holidays?

Third question: Is there a lot of corruption in the Education system in Thailand?

Thank you very much for reading my little rant.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7

My first question is, How do you people put up with this crap from the schools?

Second question: Can one of the teachers please tell me if 1st 4th & 5h of May are school holidays?

Third question: Is there a lot of corruption in the Education system in Thailand?

Thank you very much for reading my little rant.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cAx1lGI2wn7

1) It is really frustrating. But, in my opinion the "Thai way" of resolving nonsense like that is to smile and nod and agree to everything, and then actually do nothing. Most of the time these things are empty threats (withholding salary, MANDATORY nonsense, etc.). If it comes to a point where there is actual followthrough, it is time to move on -- but most of the time it is all posturing and hot air.

2) Where I am, 1st is NOT a holiday. The 4th and 5th ARE.

3) Let's imagine a hypothetical country. Completely hypothetical, not allegorical in any way. We'll label this place with a completely random name, not meant to allude to anything ... Let's call it "Laithand". Anyway, in Laithand there is a lot of corruption in every single position or system of power, no matter how trivial or grand and respected. School directors buy degrees to get promoted, require parents to make "donations" to various school funds in order to enroll their children, and/or charge "Native English Speaker teacher fees" to students when there are no NES employed at the school. Immigration officials will find "problems" with your paperwork that matches the requirements listed on the national immigration webpage, only to have those problems magically disappear if applicants bring "gifts" like lunch, fruit, or a few bills stuffed into an envelope.

Sometimes people living in this completely hypothetical, entirely non-allegorical country of "Laithand" honestly try to toe the line and do things by the book. Sometimes they get frustrated by the fact that there seem to be about a million different versions / interpretations of "the book", most of which contradict each other. ...And some of those people that get frustrated get a bit cynical about the whole thing and end up making long-winded, grumpy posts on Laithand web forums.

Remember, this whole thing is about a purely hypothetical country. Not a thinly disguised allegory at all.

• Like 1

At least 15k??

The beers are on me smile.png

Also had a good laugh. biggrin.png

That's what we "tough" guys spend in one night at Nana, sitting on our bar stools and lookin' down at all the other fools.....facepalm.gif

15k for a native Laos speaker.

Not great not bad

These aren't that bad.

15k is probably quite good for a person from Laos.

35k for a 10 month contract isn't that bad, particularly as the visa + workpermit are fully paid for, and it's only 20 hours per week.

As visa wise you'd still receive a 12 month contract, just the contract would have a clause that you'd only receive salary for 10 months (My contract, which I just signed today, is quite similar to this, with April unpaid). Being unpaid for a couple of months can suit some people e.g. I wouldn't want to have to teach summer school in April, or even go to sign in, instead I like having the freedom to travel etc, without having to worry about that other junk. Of course, without money, you can't travel, so you simply have to view the contract as a 29k or 26.6k contract with free time over the summer.

In saying that, no one with a degree in education would apply, and not many BEdu teachers would be interested in 26.6k unless it was in our wife's hometown or we simply found the 2 month's holiday to be an attractive option.

These aren't that bad.

15k is probably quite good for a person from Laos.

35k for a 10 month contract isn't that bad, particularly as the visa + workpermit are fully paid for, and it's only 20 hours per week.

As visa wise you'd still receive a 12 month contract, just the contract would have a clause that you'd only receive salary for 10 months (My contract, which I just signed today, is quite similar to this, with April unpaid). Being unpaid for a couple of months can suit some people e.g. I wouldn't want to have to teach summer school in April, or even go to sign in, instead I like having the freedom to travel etc, without having to worry about that other junk. Of course, without money, you can't travel, so you simply have to view the contract as a 29k or 26.6k contract with free time over the summer.

In saying that, no one with a degree in education would apply, and not many BEdu teachers would be interested in 26.6k unless it was in our wife's hometown or we simply found the 2 month's holiday to be an attractive option.

Sounds like people are trying to copy agencies' policies?

If you have to teach four different levels and have to write lesson plans, checking work sheets, etc.. 20 hours can easily be enough.

Visa and work permit together is 5 K, so I'd prefer to have a contract making 30 K for 12 months and pay the 5 K, once a year out my own pocket.

It seems that my school will pay half of wp and visa expenses this year and the salary is 33 K for 12 months. The only activities I might do in the summer break, are seminars for Thai teachers, but they're relatively good paid, pus may salary.

Edited by lostinisaan

My salary is in the same range.

I get it 12 months. I have a full month break between 1st and 2nd semesters which I use to fly to the US.

During the long break I am free for a month and have to be around the school during the week (Tuesday,Wednesday Thursday) a few weeks. During those days I "teach" 1 hour a day.

Benefits include an awesome townhouse in a secure compound, free medical at work. Etc etc etc. (we have 2 swimming pools, etc)

Our students as have other duties and field trips, so there are about another 2 weeks where I don't teach.

I teach at a private school and our Summer Camp starts on May 4 for 2 weeks, so

our school will be open both on May 4 and 5, and then our new term starts on May

Today I gave a special lesson to a M2 student who goes to a government school,

and she said that her school starts on May 15.

FYI, our school will be open on June 1, too. It all depends upon the school where

you teach, I would say.