Penang to Padang Besar

Hello,

Last time I was traveling from Penang to Thailand, I had problem at Sadao crossing, I was asked for a bribe.

So this time I want to try Padang Besar border crossing. Are there any minibuses or buses going to Padang Besar from Penang?

Also, is Padang Besar problem free these days, or is there a chance that I might experience similiar problems as in Sadao?

Thanks

The Thai immigration official made movements and banging with her stamp onto my wife's passport while my wife stood at the window, and I waited a few yards away. She smiled that lovely Thai smile at my wife, the one that gave Thailand its nickname, handed back her passport, and we crossed into Malaysia on a beautiful day.

We had a great time for the next week, then I flew out of KL. I had an email waiting when I landed in Japan.

Upon my wife's attempting to reenter her own country, the Thai immigration official grimly noted my wife had, somehow, never stamped out of Thailand. Oh, my! Had she crossed illegally? Used a different passport? This is quite serious!

No, no, my wife said, I watched her stamp it ...

No worries, said the commiserative official, for a thousand baht we can overlook that, stamp it now both in and out, and you can be on your way.

woops sorry gez, the to'n'fro got mixed up - dislexia?

Yeah anyhow it's all the same - though going North the train is more straightforward and direct, but suppose it depends on what your final destination is?

Anyhows the bus terminus and Railway Station Butterworth are nearby each other.

There's also the interstate bus terminus under the Komtar, so no real need to initially travel over to Butterworth itself.

Going North, the AlorSetar bus terminus looked after both the large coaches (North/South freeway ones) , and the minibuses (for travel within Perlis i.e to PB), so you can exchange to the other buses there anyways...

I used to go via PB and AS frequently when cycling between Hatyai and Penang, (as we got banned from using the Freeway) and bicycles were accomodated on the bus (and minibus) if I ever felt lazy to ride all the way...

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

I think I found the asnwer. According to Wikitravel, there is a direct bus from Penang to PB:

"Direct express buses linking Padang Besar directly with Kuala Lumpur and Penang or Butterworth (the latter RM14, Aug 2012) are operated by Plusliner Bus Services and perhaps Transnasional (though it's not one of the towns on the Transnational website)."

If they are also asking bribes at PB, I don't know if it is worth it though.

• Like 1

The problem is that the bus starting from Butterword-busstation goes only twice a day at0930AM and at 1430PM (27 MRG) and surely to reserve the day before.

So both are to early seen the time you got your pass back, so you have to stay 1 day longer, with the train its the same ( I dont remember the shedule). Dont forget to think the time you need for the ferry (free if you left Penang) and the schort walk to it from Chuliastreet (15 min.).

• Like 2

In January did some search for this route (Penang to Padang Pesar), without remembering details, there was nothing that suited me (either change bus in Malaysia or direct connections too early or too late).

I can confirm that Sadao is no fun when coming from Malaysia, one passenger on my van (Penang - Hat Yai) was refused entry for lack of 20,000 Baht in cash to show, I had the cash to show, but still reception was unfriendly (not "Welcome back, Sir, and have a great time in Thailand" but "What illegal activities are you up to under the guise of being a tourist?").

• 5 months later...

In January did some search for this route (Penang to Padang Pesar), without remembering details, there was nothing that suited me (either change bus in Malaysia or direct connections too early or too late).

I can confirm that Sadao is no fun when coming from Malaysia, one passenger on my van (Penang - Hat Yai) was refused entry for lack of 20,000 Baht in cash to show, I had the cash to show, but still reception was unfriendly (not "Welcome back, Sir, and have a great time in Thailand" but "What illegal activities are you up to under the guise of being a tourist?").

The person who was refused in Sadao. Do you remember what their passport country was? What type of visa they had?

Also, what was your country passport? What visa did you have?

Edited by 4evermaat

The person who was refused. Do you remember what their passport country was? What type of visa they had?

Also, what was your country passport? What visa did you have?

Are you implying an Immigration Officer actually said "What illegal activities are you up to under the guise of being a tourist?"

Or are you just attempting to add "colour" to your post?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know nationality and type of visa of the person who was refused entry to Thailand because he didn't have 20,000 Baht in cash to show.

I have a German passport and came with a tourist visa I got in Penang.

The officer did not say "What illegal activities are you up to under the guise of being a tourist?", but that was the mood.

Or are you just attempting to add "colour" to your post?

Yes.

I came via sadao back in early 2014 and before that with no problems.

There is a daily minivan service that runs from the Thai consulate in Penang to Hat Yai (also passes through GeorgeTown/Chulia St); they normally go through Sadao. So it can't be that bad at Sadao. Well, I've only had non-immigrant visas (ED or O category), never needed anything else. A friend just recently passed through Sadao with his non-O multiple and no problems with him or anyone in his group. I was still a little nervous just due to some warnings and reports from some of the other members here to 'be prepared'. A friend who used that border like 5 months ago said that some European in his minivan group was flagged and was asked to show 20k baht; didn't know their exact visa/visa exempt situation.

But it doesn't hurt to use Pedang Besar if you can, especially if you are traveling the whole trip via train.

Edited by 4evermaat