Thailand not prepared for another massive earthquake, experts say

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without wishing to argue with those that constantly bash Thailand over everything

name me one country in the world that "is ready" for a 7.9 shaker. I can give you the answer None.

Been through a couple at 7.5, (South West NZ) they are frightening, never felt more helpless in my life.

How many farangs have designed their own homes in the provinces to withstand even a 6 pointer?

It really depends on the 6 pointer. Remember Kobe Japan lost 4500 people in a 6.8 with everything built for quake resistance. But the 6.3 in Chiang Rai last year claimed only one life while the construction was for the most part is typical Thai handyman style.

A side to side quake with shallow depth (like Kobe) can cause surprising damage.

That being said, I assume most houses built for farangs here have no special and anti-quake consideration. but they may have more rebar and concrete thickness. How many of us know how to build for a quake anyhow.

Please remember that the Richter scale is logarithmic, and a 7.0 quake would be 10 times greater in intensity than a 6.0 quake. So, the difference from Kobe's 6.8 and Chiang Rai's 6.3 is more pronounced than might be otherwise assumed. I'm unaware of how deep each of those two quakes were, but the deeper the quake, the less the magnitude, even though the intensity might be the same. I would think that the traditional wood-framed houses would fare much better, as long as the footings are adequate, than the concrete with brick fill construction that is now common - more flexibility in a strong quake.

Bangkok would not fare well in any earthquake close to magnitude 7.0 because it is essentially built on a drained swamp. One only need look at what the 6.9 magnitude Loma Prieta earthquake did to the Marina district of San Francisco to recognize that no structures could be built to withstand that kind of earthquake due to the ground layer of the city. Fortunately, Bangkok does not have the earthquake frequency of San Francisco.

The problem that Bangkok and the whole alluvial system around it would have is liquefaction, where the soil would basically turn into quick sand. Same principle would apply to any reclaimed land.

There are only so many tax dollars available to any country.

Probability has value in ear marking those dollars for preventive measures.

There always has been, and always will be a meaningful threat in Thailand form floods. This is where they need to focus. Not on some "long shot" of an earthquake. I lived in San Francisco for 6 years. The question there is not "if" the city will be flattened someday .. it is "when." But still ... people live there. Lots of them. And trust me .. they are not "ready" for the big one.

OK, author of this piece, you have cashed in a a tragedy in Nepal by a severe earthquake that was very shallow.
(The reason it was so bad.)

Back to reporting on Thai Soap Operas.

No place in Thailand is safe during an earthquake, but one place I really don't want to be is Bangkok. All Bangkok is built on mud floodplains, that is why they drive deep pylons under new high risers. Have you seen that wet gray stinking mud they pull up. All that will liquefy in an earthquake. Serious liquification is terrifying. I have a condo bottom end of Soi 22/24 Sukhumvit. Scares the crap out of me thinking about it.

Something happened a few years ago whilst I was walking past a high-rise office block near Soi 35/39 (opposite but up the road from the Emporium). No tremor could be felt down on the side-walk where I was, but the building shook, you could hear it. Everyone in the building came out onto the street. No-one from the buildings next to it came out. Must have been just settling going on. But what little surprises are just waiting to be triggered ....

Down the bottom of Soi 20 Sukhumvit there are 3 extremely tall apartment blocks basically out there by themselves. For their size they look quite thin, I don't know what would happen to them in a big shake. The number of people living in those 3 blocks alone is mind-blowing.

Edited by Mot Dang

How many farangs have designed their own homes in the provinces to withstand even a 6 pointer?

My friend did he is a highly experienced builder in concrete buildings of many years in Australia but the funny part is he just drew a sketch of it for a permit and local authorities are not interested much in house plans.

Where i live u dont need any plans at all.

whistling.gif Back in 2013 there was a report issued on what could happen in Bangkok after a sizeable earthquake 50 Km offshore near Bangkok.

The conclusion was that Bangkok rests on old river ground that could liquefy after a severe earthquake shaking.... which would mean that large areas of Bangkok could subside and the buildings on it simply collapse due to the ground subsiding.

That could latterly mean thousands of casualties in the Bangkok area.

Not to mention the Tsunami that could result.

The question was asked about farangs, and about who knows about building earthquake resistance buildings, Kiwis off the north Island most certainly know about earthquake structural building. The north island of NZ is sitting almost on top of a Teutonic plate and the majority of the buildings built in NZ can handle grade 7 shock, I bought a house Brisbane in 1987 built by a kiwi; it was like buying a stylish bunker super solid construction. he must have still thought he was living in NZ; but they build strong buildings. any kiwi in Thailand i would suggest will build a stronger than normal home out of habit.

Although it's 'technically' possible to have an earthquake in Bangkok, it's highly unlikely just like it's not likely you would have an earth quake in Houston Texas or Florida.. There are no major faulines in Bangkok, it is a flat area.. sure you might have one but its no more likly that you would have one here than any other of those places in the world that have never experienced an earthquake in the last few hundreds of years..

It really depends on the 6 pointer. Remember Kobe Japan lost 4500 people in a 6.8 with everything built for quake resistance. But the 6.3 in Chiang Rai last year claimed only one life while the construction was for the most part is typical Thai handyman style.

A side to side quake with shallow depth (like Kobe) can cause surprising damage.

That being said, I assume most houses built for farangs here have no special and anti-quake consideration. but they may have more rebar and concrete thickness. How many of us know how to build for a quake anyhow.

Please remember that the Richter scale is logarithmic, and a 7.0 quake would be 10 times greater in intensity than a 6.0 quake. So, the difference from Kobe's 6.8 and Chiang Rai's 6.3 is more pronounced than might be otherwise assumed. I'm unaware of how deep each of those two quakes were, but the deeper the quake, the less the magnitude, even though the intensity might be the same. I would think that the traditional wood-framed houses would fare much better, as long as the footings are adequate, than the concrete with brick fill construction that is now common - more flexibility in a strong quake.

Nice to see someone who has knowledge of the subject, although without pictures your description will likely blow 99% of these keyboard seismologists out of the water. Personally, to coin a phrase, I think you're playing the violin to buffalo.

ps

While most of them are googling the meaning of the word "logarithmic", there will be some trying to discover what a violin is

Nice to see someone who has knowledge of the subject, although without pictures your description will likely blow 99% of these keyboard seismologists out of the water.

Some graphics to show the relative intensities. BTW, the use of the term Richter scale has been replaced by MMS in the '70's. Still widely referenced but generally incorrect.

RichterScale.gif

Theyre-Not-Measured-On-The-Richter-Scale

Our villas have been designed from the beginning to be more earthquake resistant. We have over engineered the size of the columns and piles. We also have walls that are poured re-enforced concrete. Sanctum truly is FORTIFIED. The value of knowing that you and your loved ones are safe and secure in your home is priceless.

Want to know more?

http://sanctum.kickoffpages.com

post-234432-0-82851900-1430390825_thumb.

my Thai wife who lives more than 50 years in BKK does not recall to have experienced any earthquake : when was the last one to hit Bangkok?

There are no known fault lines near to Bangkok. The meaning of earthquake resistance here means against tremors from earthquakes hundreds to thousands of kilometres away.

...frickin stupid....tell me one country that is EVER prepared for an earthquake....what a mindless world it has become

Scottie...is that transporter working yet?

Less bad attitude and a little more thought is in order here I think.

Many places have prepared for earthquakes.

In California, where I come from there have been very strict building codes that are enforced that keep earthquake damage and loss of life to a minimum.

There are also restrictions on where new buildings can be constructed .

Without these building restrictions in place, the damage and loss of life would be many times greater than it is.

People are instructed on how to prepare survival kits described by other posters in this thread.

They are also educated about where to go and what to do in the event of a large quake

This is called being prepared for an earthquake.

No, no one knows how to stop quake, but you can be ready for one and reduce damage and increase safety.

Frigin Stupid is the guy who lives in your bathroom...check the mirror and take a good look at himcoffee1.gif

Edited by willyumiii

As a former resident of a tremor state, California, I tend to take notice at the building construction going on here. When I saw Central Plaza being built, I told the wife try not to be shopping should a shaker come to town and what shopper could plan for that. Just hope Lady Luck is on our side.