Paying land by cash

Hi everyone,

My wife wants to buy a land, 2 rais for 450 000 bahts.

I don't know exactly the process for thai to buy land. Is there only the Chanot to check?

My wife check the chanot in the local amphoe, she told me everything is in order.

Now the owner want the payment by cash only, not by bank transfer, supposedly because they want see the money and be sure we are paying at the time of the deal.

Sound like a drug dealer transaction so I told my wife I will never pay by cash, they can see the money on their bank account the same way they can see it physically.

If anyone has similar experience or could enlight me on the process I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

You can pay in cash at the land office. It will just be odd while everyone counts it but it happens. 450,000 is not a crazy amount. When people have to sit there counting 10,000,000 or more it takes a while. Also keep in mind many Thais do not trust banks and are scared of getting scammed. This is a reasonable request. That being said, if you do pay in cash make sure you are not robbed.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Quite normal, everything is done in the land office including handing over the dosh and the transfer tax.

The land office will also want to see the money transferred, for a relatively small amount by far the easiest solution is a cash payment.

• Like 1

thanks for your quick answers, so I should not freak out.

I'm in Myanmar so I will have to book a day for the transaction.

Is the land office at the Amphoe (Town hall)?

• Like 1

Maybe they want cash so they can blag the tax office on sale price ? Perfectly normal and actually gives you room to negotiate .... For example if I pay cash do I get a discount ??

All your negotiations will be done before you go to the Land Office. Some times the "declared" sale price is a little below the actual sale price to save a little on the tax bill. However, if I I remember correctly, the majority of the tax is based on the Land Office assessed value (together with period of ownership).

There is no discount for cash.

It is possible to pay by Cashier Cheque from the bank if that is agreeable.

• Like 1

My wife paid by cash, She checked the chanot, any thing owed on the land will be written on the back, The seller pays the cost of changing the name, It took us about 15 minutes, we then paid the money once the channot was change to the wife's name.