Aircon question

roly

I'm thinking of putting aircon in the living room but it goes through to the kitchen with no door (though I could fit something or heavy duty curtains) plus the stairwell is open so pretty hard not to be cooling the stairwell and upstairs corridor between two bedrooms. It's s rented place long term so I'm not really willing to put in new doors or partitions. My question is whether it's possible to have aircon in this scenario in the living room and if so presumably I'll need a more powerful unit. Sorry if this question had been asked elsewhere.

Probably better in DIY, moving there.

In reality the stairwell won't be an issue as the cool air will settle in the downstairs (unless you stir it around).

A curtain across the kitchen entrance should help there.

How big is the area you actually want to cool?

hello,

my experience:

I have almost the same apartment.

Living room of 23 m2 plus a large adjoining kitchen but closed by a door.

Top spiral staircase with two bedrooms upstairs.

So you can not close the stairwell. So I have two ceiling fans and that is enough.

The air conditioning will return very expensive, especially as you'll cool places that you will only go to get from one floor to another.

The living room is about 20 square metres. I think I will get some heavy curtains that go all the way to the floor for the kitchen, and try and get it installed. At least I'll get someone round to look, as the heat is too much to take and I can't spend all day in the bedroom (which has aircon).

I would consider putting in a 12,000 BTU unit and running it at 28c - it will keep the humidity down and cool the area and make it tolereable! without paying out silly money for a large BTU aircon then the costs of running it!

As folks have said up to you! If you call somebody in they will try to sell you a large BTU unit.