4G with Aircard

MMan

I have both True and DTAC 3G Aircards. Both work great sometimes / some places. Both barely work at all sometimes / some places (even at my condo in the heart of Sukhumvit). Most of the time both provide acceptable though not exceptional speed (except True becomes almost unusable during the early evening hours).

Today I went to Fortune Town to see about upgrading both to 4G which they are advertising heavily (though I hear it may not currently be 'real' 4G, which has yet to come to Thailand other than testing).

TRUE Store - I was told that they only offer 4G for phones, not for aircards. The lady told me it is not supported by the Operating System.

I stil had hope for DTAC thogh, as the advertise Internet Only (without voice) 4G packages on their website.

DTAC Store - The guy said he needed to see my Sim card. I handed him my DTAC aircard. He took out the Sim card and put iit n his reader. Then he spent about 5 minutes on his computer, got out his personal mobile phone (a real cheap one, which was amusing for a DTAC store rep), and called the DTAC call center. After being on hold for a few minutes he chatted with someone, then handed me the phone. The person on the other end then explained that DTAC aircards do not support 4G. BUT he said I might be able to find an aircard that does by shopping around some, and if so DTAC could provide me a 4G Sim card for it.

Anyone know if 4G aircards can be found in Thailand? If not, what about Singapore or Malaysia? Or the USA? - I'll be there for a visit in a few months, though finding an 'unlocked' aircard in the US might be tough.

Then I wonder what these things are then...

truemoveh.truecorp.co.th

icon-3g.jpg

icon-4g.jpg

1400_802489facf0636f95075fdee838876b0.pn1414_ed540d27b1dcf67fd0315b867cc8b82b.pn3126_54afdc814463a2c119ec5ffbd397b1a8.pn

Otherwise,

If you purchased an "unlocked" 3G/4G(LTE) AirCard or Pocket WiFi device that operated on 850/900/2100 (and maybe even 1800) frequency bands then you should be covered for it to work with multiple 4G(LTE) operators. (Sierra Wireless, Huawei, ZTE). Pantip carries them in many locations. Otherwise, online websites (AliExpress, Lazada, TotalAirCard ... )

Just make sure it supports LTE (4G) and at minimum band 1 (2100) for use in Thailand.

TRUE Store - I was told that they only offer 4G for phones, not for aircards. The lady told me it is not supported by the Operating System.

If you are plugging the AirCard directly into a Router, that might be true. The Router needs a special initialization string to start the service.

What are you using the AirdCards with?

I wouldn't be surprised if this sudden disappearance of Aircards is rather a POLITICAL thing, as it is much easier to monitor and track somebody when using the said SIM in a Smartphone that acts as a WiFi hotspot for another device (laptop for example).

I guess there are no such sophisticated tracking and monitoring options when using an Aircard which may make many governments around the world nervous and sweat.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived