Another (endless) road accident tragedy...

CNXBKKMAN

Seems the Sunday morning cycling club that leaves Tapae Gate every sunday at about 07:00 has been hit by a drunk driver on the main road out to Doi Saket. Three dead and many injured. A drunk university student is being reported as the cause of the accident. The cycling club were on the way to Mae Kuang Dam. Its on Facebook at the moment, CMprice. No doubt more accurate info will come through.

i've seen this group of Sunday morning riders around for many years. words fail me right now...... what a horrific thing to happen. Thailand needs to get serious and lock up drunk drivers like this and throw away the keys. this lady has just destroyed the lives of 3 people and 3 families; possibly more. what a sad thing to happen!

Destroyed the lives of 4 people, et al. Her life is over...

Terrible tragedy. I know that cycling is a very fashionable activity just now, and yet, to be brutally honest, in this Country, with the worst drivers in the World sadly, anyone who rides a bicycle on the same roads as cars etc is taking a huge risk with their life.

You are right about risk but you can reduce that risk as a cyclist.

Cycling can still be fun and enjoyable but you just can't make the same assumptions in Thailand as you can in other places.(mind you Cambodia is even worse)

For example I don't regard my rights as a cyclist to be the same as the rider or driver of any other motorised vehicle so I'm very defensive and don't hesitate to dismount to walk with the bicycle if the traffic movement ahead looks chaotic - For example a chaotic -looking road junction or very dense traffic movement when you want to cross the road .i.e. thinking more like a pedestrian would think.

Secondly I have 2 bicycle mirrors which I know are not fashionable with the vast majority of cyclists but I spend as much time looking in those two mirrors almost as i do looking ahead and as soon as I see anything resembling an erratic driver or motorbike rider behind me I slow down or pullover.

It's the way the huge numbers of Chinese tourists ride their bicycles that always amaze me. No helmets and the way they weave around on the road seeming to be totally oblivious to vehicles driving behind them.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

I believe she has a broken arm but there are reports she was drunk. What speed was she doing to smash the front wheels off and turn the car over on a straight road on a quiet sunday morning? Almost unbelievable.

Did the lady driver survive? Not sure if that's her in one of the CM108 pictures but if it's her then she looks pretty dead.

I took the lady under the car as one of the dead cyclist given that she was wearing cycling shorts.

i thought that at first too, then wasn't 100% sure. but i suspect you are correct.

Cycling in ''Thailand''.... i cringe at the thought... as much as i love Cycling and i miss it, as its a great outdoor healthy activity..

NEVER IN THAILAND... Its bad enough trying to cross the road...

Poor people...

as for the ''Lady Driver''... words fail me for her...

A Sad Day, but the Cycle Gang Folks round my area show no respect for other road users. 6 Abreast, Road Racing, Illegal Pic Ups with flashing lights slowing other road users down. Yet there is a maze of country roads here. Perhaps no audience there too Show Off too i suspect.

They are not shorts. Its a university mini skirt. Theres a video clip on social media now taken just after the accident. Awful.

I just saw it. She has a broken arm and moving but screaming in pain. Don't know how she got out of the car, looks like she was thrown through the side window one leg was still inside the window frame.