Import License required?

For 4 years now, I have received a box of suppliments from America almost every month. Most of the time the package comes to the post office, I go to the post office and pick it up. Sometimes I have had to pay a fee, most often not.

Three or four times I have gotten a notice saying I must go to Customs House to pick up the package. At customs house they have me open the package, show them what is inside, pay a fee and be on my way.

In late March I received a notice saying I should go to Samui Customs House in Nathon. When I showed up on 1 April, I was charged a 30% import tax and told that before I received another package I must obtain an import license. I was handed 2 sheets of paper, almost all in Thai. There was a web site listed which I accessed on the web. It was 100% Thai so no help to me. I showed the papers to a pharmacist I know and she said I have to go to the Health Department in Surat Thani, fill out forms to get license.

Has anyone else experienced this?? Does anyone know what I should expect in Surat Thani??

Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated. wai2.gif

You will not be able to get a license , so don't bother. The Health Dept would require proof that you are a registered pharmacist (licensed in Thailand) or employed by a fregistered pharmaceutical company, and also want to see a work permit. This regulation is aimed at commercial import.

Technically, one does need an import license to bring in any pharmaceutical (inc. vitamins), even for personal use, unless it comes into the country with you (and in that case there is a 30 day supply limit). However most of the time customs lets small quantities for personal use through (especially if sent by regular air mail and not courier).

How have you been receiving this? If by courier, my suggestion is to just switch to normal air mail and keep the quantities small, and hope for the best.

You will not be able to get a license , so don't bother. The Health Dept would require proof that you are a registered pharmacist (licensed in Thailand) or employed by a fregistered pharmaceutical company, and also want to see a work permit. This regulation is aimed at commercial import.

Technically, one does need an import license to bring in any pharmaceutical (inc. vitamins), even for personal use, unless it comes into the country with you (and in that case there is a 30 day supply limit). However most of the time customs lets small quantities for personal use through (especially if sent by regular air mail and not courier).

How have you been receiving this? If by courier, my suggestion is to just switch to normal air mail and keep the quantities small, and hope for the best.

@ courier I want to mention that not the customs make problems it is the courier staff which is both afraid of customs and incompetent.

H90... That's not really the case..

As Sheryl mentioned, the law states that you Must have an import permit

The post office generally doesn't require, but this does not change the law... They just tend to disregard it..

The courier companies follow the law and will not disregard it, as if found out to do so by Thai customs... They would face penalties and could loose their license to be customs brokers..

Believe me... They are not looking to loose their customs license just for you..

The post office don't face that risk... The post office guy is a gov employee... He ain't getting fired for not asking for your import permit ...

Also ain't no way that Thai customs will pull the Thai Posts right to receive international packages...

But they will have no issue to pull the brokerage license from a private company

Edited by CWMcMurray

Suppliments for personal use. Nothing that requires a prescription in America.

without knowing exactly what you are bringing in , perhaps its now classified as a drug here ...if it is then forget it ...

Thank you Sheryl. I have been using the US Postal Service, not a courier. That is why I was really surprised by the attitude of the Samui Customs people. sad.png

Edit: Upon reading your reply several times, I finally "got it". So, it looks like I have to find a pharmacy that has an import license and work a deal with them. Do you think this is possible?

Edited by Traveling Sailor

without knowing exactly what you are bringing in , perhaps its now classified as a drug here ...if it is then forget it ...

You may be right, cdmtdm. After all, TIT, and they can do anything they want to do.

The suppliments I receive are from a company called Premier Research Labs and I get them through a company called Total Health Secrets. Each container is labeled 'Dietary Supplement". It seems to me that anyone who uses logic would not classify these as a drug. But, again, TIT. whistling.giffacepalm.gif

Thank you for your input.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You may be right, cdmtdm. After all, TIT, and they can do anything they want to do.

The suppliments I receive are from a company called Premier Research Labs and I get them through a company called Total Health Secrets. Each container is labeled 'Dietary Supplement". It seems to me that anyone who uses logic would not classify these as a drug. But, again, TIT. alt=whistling.gif> alt=facepalm.gif>

Seems many so called manufactures/distributors of "Dietary supplements" end up in trouble with the American FDA !

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2014/default.htm?Page=8

Suppose the Americans can do anything they want to when chasing down the Quacks Charlatans and Snake Oil Salesmen !

whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The suppliments I receive are from a company called Premier Research Labs and I get them through a company called Total Health Secrets. Each container is labeled 'Dietary Supplement". It seems to me that anyone who uses logic would not classify these as a drug. But, again, TIT. alt=whistling.gif> alt=facepalm.gif>

Seems many so called manufactures/distributors of "Dietary supplements" end up in trouble with the American FDA !

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/2014/default.htm?Page=8

Suppose the Americans can do anything they want to when chasing down the Quacks Charlatans and Snake Oil Salesmen !

whistling.gif

Yes, nzexpat, same as every government in the world, I suppose. And, I am sure there are scams in most countries, including NZ. However, I have been taking these suppliments for over 10 years now and they work quite well for me. They have kept me off heart medicine, with all the side effects, and safe from type 2 diabeties for a very long time.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

You will not be able to get a license , so don't bother. The Health Dept would require proof that you are a registered pharmacist (licensed in Thailand) or employed by a registered pharmaceutical company, and also want to see a work permit. This regulation is aimed at commercial import.

Thank you Sheryl. I have been using the US Postal Service, not a courier. That is why I was really surprised by the attitude of the Samui Customs people. sad.png

Edit: Upon reading your reply several times, I finally "got it". So, it looks like I have to find a pharmacy that has an import license and work a deal with them. Do you think this is possible?

Possible provided the items are approved for user in Thailand - basically what would have to happen is that you would arrange for the pharmacy to import the items for you and then you buy them. But it would be a huge hassle.

Are you certain these items are not available in Thailand or nearby e.g. Cambodia?

You will not be able to get a license , so don't bother. The Health Dept would require proof that you are a registered pharmacist (licensed in Thailand) or employed by a registered pharmaceutical company, and also want to see a work permit. This regulation is aimed at commercial import.

Possible provided the items are approved for user in Thailand - basically what would have to happen is that you would arrange for the pharmacy to import the items for you and then you buy them. But it would be a huge hassle.

Are you certain these items are not available in Thailand or nearby e.g. Cambodia?

no, I am not certain. I purchase them and have them sent by a California friend of mine who is a distributor. These suppliments are designed for and used by "alternative medicine" practitioners so I'm guessing they are not known in this part of the world. I have one more resource I will try. Thanks for all your help and advise. Very helpful. wai2.gif

Edited by Traveling Sailor