Moving to Chiang Mai - which areas to check out?

thelongshoot

Sanctum is advertising at c.42 million Baht. Best I can tell, it remains an idea in cyberspace at present. No ground has been broken in the location given on their website - I checked a couple of days ago.

As to the design - I agree with Winnie and Rob. I don't think either the architectural design or the concept of 'Fortified Eco Housing' belongs in peaceful, rural Ban Fhon.

Hi,

Our starting price is 47M THB, not 42M. Piles will be started in May, and all permits already approved. We feel that our concept of "Fortified Luxury Eco Villa" is not location dependant, as everyone no matter where they are wants their home and family to be as safe and secure as possible. And we have a 3rd floor open sky deck that can be used for meditation, yoga, or entertaining under the night sky, or just simply sitting and enjoying the sunset. This feature fits perfectly with the peaceful rural area.

Totally understandable if our ultra-modern design does not agree with your tastes, as our development was not trying to appeal to everyone....

If you want more info, feel free to down load our brochure.

Thank you....

http://sanctum.kickoffpages.com

post-234432-0-34789700-1430994165_thumb.

Sanctum is advertising at c.42 million Baht. Best I can tell, it remains an idea in cyberspace at present. No ground has been broken in the location given on their website - I checked a couple of days ago.

As to the design - I agree with Winnie and Rob. I don't think either the architectural design or the concept of 'Fortified Eco Housing' belongs in peaceful, rural Ban Fhon.

you wouldn't understand because your not the target audience. when you haven't acquired wealth you have nothing to fear or to steal for that matter. project yourself into a more successful life and you might grasp the concept

What a presumptuous response!

I own my own house and land and run a successful business - have done so for 25 years here in Chiang Mai. I have a BA in Chinese, an MA in Religious Studies and a Ph.D in history, plus a happy marriage and 2 children. I speak four languages including Thai, and in material terms I have absolutely everything I want in this life. I consider that not merely successful, but fortunate indeed. And I see no need for a fortified bunker to protect it!

You, sir, are an idiot!

If you feel safe and secure in your house, then thats great. Some may say the functioning nuclear fallout shelter, fortified walls, panic room and security systems is not needed, and we truly hope that it never is. However, in the unlikely event that they ARE needed, its sure good to have them.

People here believe that MooBahns offer security, when the reality is they only offer a very low level. There are home breakins in moo bans all the time, and Somchai sleeping at the front gate does not get paid enough to try to prevent them. There was also a horrible case of home invasion where a lady was raped and murdered, all the while her neighbours heard her screaming for hours. The thing is, when security is compromised in your house, it can be very serious.

We designed Sanctum for those that do not want any risk what so ever. We also designed it so that it is very secure and private, yet has green views on both sides. Sanctum feels more like a spa, then a bunker. In fact, the nuclear fall-out shelter IS the spa! Gawd forbid some unstable dictator lets a nuke go somewhere in the world.

Anyways, if you feel safe in your current location, then thats all that matters.

If you feel safe and secure in your house, then thats great. Some may say the functioning nuclear fallout shelter, fortified walls, panic room and security systems is not needed, and we truly hope that it never is. However, in the unlikely event that they ARE needed, its sure good to have them.

People here believe that MooBahns offer security, when the reality is they only offer a very low level. There are home breakins in moo bans all the time, and Somchai sleeping at the front gate does not get paid enough to try to prevent them. There was also a horrible case of home invasion where a lady was raped and murdered, all the while her neighbours heard her screaming for hours. The thing is, when security is compromised in your house, it can be very serious.

We designed Sanctum for those that do not want any risk what so ever. We also designed it so that it is very secure and private, yet has green views on both sides. Sanctum feels more like a spa, then a bunker. In fact, the nuclear fall-out shelter IS the spa! Gawd forbid some unstable dictator lets a nuke go somewhere in the world.

Anyways, if you feel safe in your current location, then thats all that matters.

Don't take me the wrong way ... I like your designs, not the location.

Whilst I might scrape up a 4.7mil deposit and eventually enjoy shelter from nuclear attack, living in a nuclear wasted province holds no appeal.

As for security ... never heard of any problems in our mooban but we have 2 slingshots at the ready, just in case.

Hi,

Glad you like our designs, but we feel the location is just that, and is not dependent on the structure. But every one feels different about these things, its what makes a market. The fallout shelter is just that, a shelter from nuclear fallout. It is not a blast shelter, and yes, I would not want to live in an area where one was detonated. However radioative fall out can travel across the entire planet, depending on where it originated and the winds. But to survive radioactive fallout, one only needs to be in the shelter for 7 days, then the decay of radiation allows it to be non harmful.

Glad you have never had any issues in your Moobahn, and we truly hope it stays like that. But thats not to say that breakins do not happen here.

post-234432-0-36342200-1431001508_thumb.

Edited by Sanctum

you wouldn't understand because your not the target audience. when you haven't acquired wealth you have nothing to fear or to steal for that matter. project yourself into a more successful life and you might grasp the concept

What a presumptuous response!

I own my own house and land and run a successful business - have done so for 25 years here in Chiang Mai. I have a BA in Chinese, an MA in Religious Studies and a Ph.D in history, plus a happy marriage and 2 children. I speak four languages including Thai, and in material terms I have absolutely everything I want in this life. I consider that not merely successful, but fortunate indeed. And I see no need for a fortified bunker to protect it!

You, sir, are an idiot!

I'm sure intellectually you are a 10 however you are not the client that would appreciate sanctum. nobody would crawl through your window to steal a 10 year old TV

I was just going to say it looks a little like Abu Grahb. The sound reflection off all that concrete might be interesting, too.

While some of us have accumulated our own wealth there are those content having friends with a number of properties which rent for 445K

If you feel safe and secure in your house, then thats great. Some may say the functioning nuclear fallout shelter, fortified walls, panic room and

The "nuclear fallout shelter" wasn't a joke?! :blink: I saw it on your site and felt a little more positive at the sense of humor!

Anyway, architecture is indeed different and I can appreciate that, but why are they built so close together? (or even attached to each other, not sure) Land isn't all that expensive in that area (and especially not relative to the 47 million total price) so why pin people down on a teeny-tiny area?

If you feel safe and secure in your house, then thats great. Some may say the functioning nuclear fallout shelter, fortified walls, panic room and

The "nuclear fallout shelter" wasn't a joke?! blink.png I saw it on your site and felt a little more positive at the sense of humor!

Anyway, architecture is indeed different and I can appreciate that, but why are they built so close together? (or even attached to each other, not sure) Land isn't all that expensive in that area (and especially not relative to the 47 million total price) so why pin people down on a teeny-tiny area?

Hi,

Thanks for your comments....and yes, the fallout shelter is no joke. Its a fully functioning shelter for radioactive fallout, OR, a biological outbreak. It comes with a supply kit that includes a geiger counter, HAZ-MAT suit, respirators, hand crank radio, walkie-talkies, freeze dried food, water purification, first aid kit, shelter manual, back up gen set, HEPA air filters and some non-lethal defence items.

The building of the villas so close together is not something new to Thailand. We have seen 10M TBH homes in certain Moo Bahns where they are about 6 inches apart. Except, there is NO privacy as windows on facing sides. We wanted to create an ECO design, and part of that entails maximizing the land. Then there is the concept of them being or appearing to be "joined", which is a security design. Think about the possible points of access. 9M high green walls. The villas in the middle being the most secure and difficult to penetrate. We have created a very secure development of villas without the use of bars on the windows, and total privacy for each villa owner. Also, the possibility exists to cover the green area on the seamless glass windows side with metal mesh or netting, and turn the entire area into a cage for doves or butterflies, if you were so inclined.

But please believe me that the people are not pinned down, with over 700sqm spanning 3 floors with half covered exterior and half interior, there is a LOT of space in each villa. Please look at the size of the rooms. From the 4 car garage and 6M x 6M bedrooms, massive kitchen and dining room, and a huge cinema room.

Thanks for the compliment on the architecture.....

post-234432-0-95617600-1431011880_thumb.

The "nuclear fallout shelter" wasn't a joke?! blink.png I saw it on your site and felt a little more positive at the sense of humor!

Thanks for your comments....and yes, the fallout shelter is no joke. Its a fully functioning shelter for radioactive fallout, OR, a biological outbreak. It comes with a supply kit that includes a geiger counter, HAZ-MAT suit, respirators, hand crank radio, walkie-talkies, freeze dried food, water purification, first aid kit, shelter manual, back up gen set, HEPA air filters and some non-lethal defence items.

I'll be all set for March and Songkran then. :thumbsup:

Just a quick post to thank you all for the replies - I have been sick all week with some kind of stomach virus so I am sorry for posting and running! I will check back in a day or two, read all the posts and reply properly. Thanks again, much appreciated!

A new very special community is being developed outside Chiang Mai by foreigners interested in "organic" living. If you or somebody do you know wants more details, it is a Facebook site of the group I will pass info in a message. Great project!

^ And the price of entry into Sanctum is?

I'm guessing around 30-40 million Baht. Clearly the Thaivisa demographic anyway. wink.png

A similar development on land in say, Ban wangtan would be highly desirable ... sound of doves, cicada's and the odd big bird passing over.

It's in Ban Fhon. There's nothing less desirable about the location compared to Ban Wangtan. Probably more desirable actually.

Just that the architecture I would associate with inner city living more than the location it's planned to be in. Maybe that threw you off, but it's in a really nice area, and actually nicer than Ban Wangtan and a similar distance from town.

That development is in Baan Fhon?

I live on Samoeng rd past Baan Fohn and I wasn't aware of it.

The developer completely missed the mark design wise. That area is about trees, nature, mountains and views. This is so inward looking, concrete and soulless.

And a fallout shelter? Really? In Chiang Mai? Too funny.

Good luck with that.

^ And the price of entry into Sanctum is?

I'm guessing around 30-40 million Baht. Clearly the Thaivisa demographic anyway. wink.png

A similar development on land in say, Ban wangtan would be highly desirable ... sound of doves, cicada's and the odd big bird passing over.

It's in Ban Fhon. There's nothing less desirable about the location compared to Ban Wangtan. Probably more desirable actually.

Just that the architecture I would associate with inner city living more than the location it's planned to be in. Maybe that threw you off, but it's in a really nice area, and actually nicer than Ban Wangtan and a similar distance from town.

That development is in Baan Fhon?

I live on Samoeng rd past Baan Fohn and I wasn't aware of it.

The developer completely missed the mark design wise. That area is about trees, nature, mountains and views. This is so inward looking, concrete and soulless.

And a fallout shelter? Really? In Chiang Mai? Too funny.

Good luck with that.

Hi,

The development is in Nong Kwai. Sorry to year that our designs do not suit your tastes, but we were aware from the onset that ultra-modern is not for everyone. You are correct when you say the area is about trees, nature mountains and views, and that is exactly why we have our ECO villas in that area. The villas will be surrounded with trees and plants, inside and out, and the open 3rd floor sky deck will give views of the mountain and the greenery. The development will have a feeling that has not been seen before.

Its ok to laugh at the fallout shelter, we don't mind as we know that the odds of needing it in the future are quite high, as the geo-political tensions in the world seem to escalate every year, sadly. We are targeting clients that know its better to have one and never need it, then to need one and not have it. Also, as we mentioned before, the fallout shelter is actually the 3rd bedroom / spa. Creating this space into a fallout shelter does not take a huge amount of effort, and was a simple choice for the design team.

Thank you for your wishes, but we are not relying on luck, but instead astute HNWI that want the absolute best.

post-234432-0-09247700-1431066845_thumb.

Appreciate the response.

Actually, you are incorrect. I am all about ultra-modern living. I live in a 5-bedroom, 6-car garage, 450sqm(int) glass and concrete house on 25 rai of land, but I am all about making the most of environment and views, not looking at concrete wall. I have the best for me...and for sure some people are going to say it looks horrible. I can live with that.

I face directly north looking at Doi Suthep, and I like big, open spaces.

Just think for that kind of money, there was better land with better views available. People like views, open space for entertaining, watching the storms roll in and just lying and watching...nothing.

But you are right. There will be buyers that value security above anything else....not for me however. I'd annoy the other people practicing the drums at 4am echoing through the place.

post-21832-0-23849700-1431074283_thumb.j

Edited by DLock

Appreciate the response.

Actually, you are incorrect. I am all about ultra-modern living. I live in a 5-bedroom, 6-car garage, 450sqm(int) glass and concrete house on 25 rai of land, but I am all about making the most of environment and views, not looking at concrete wall. I have the best for me...and for sure some people are going to say it looks horrible. I can live with that.

I face directly north looking at Doi Suthep, and I like big, open spaces.

Just think for that kind of money, there was better land with better views available. People like views, open space for entertaining, watching the storms roll in and just lying and watching...nothing.

But you are right. There will be buyers that value security above anything else....not for me however. I'd annoy the other people practicing the drums at 4am echoing through the place.

Hi,

Well, you certainly do like modern architecture, so I am confused why you feel ours is "soulless"? Just because we do not have a vast view? The soul of the building is in the stone textures on the walls, the earth pigmented cement and clay rendered wall, the warm up lights, the soft fabrics. Its all the factors of the property that give it a certain feel. We DO have views from the 3 floor sky deck, but once again, with complete privacy. No one will be looking at a concrete wall. The walls are alive with climbing fruit vines and plants. They are green walls. The issue with having 25 Rai of land is well, location, as most people on land that size are a far ways away from the city centre. We feel our location is the best of both worlds, in a rural area, yet very close to the city. Other issues with having a large house on a large plot of land are maintenance and security issues. Quite difficult to ensure security on such a vast space, and as you say, some people value security first and foremost. The high price is for the overall design of the complex, the structural integrity as it has been fortified and made to be over the min earthquake resistant guidelines. There was real damage in the earth quake in CR last year, and very possible to have a strong one here. Then there are ALL the features of luxury items that make up the price, which, are too numerous to list here, but can be viewed on our website.

Beautiful villa by the way....you should be proud.

www.thesanctumchiangmai.com

post-234432-0-52156600-1431075236_thumb.

post-234432-0-25966000-1431075411_thumb.

Edited by Sanctum

My comment about "soulless" was purely because of the Baan Fohn environment you are located in - so green with trees and big views and that you are very inward looking...

I love modern design, but to me, it must complement the environment and you are in the middle of a beautiful environment, or at least area.

Your design as far as design goes is awesome - clean lines, minimalist and open...I guess it's just that I have both - the ultra modern and the views...that I felt you lacked something, or weren't taking advantage of the location...and the fallout shelter threw me.

Hope you do a better job that I did on storage in such a modern design.

And don't get me wrong. Not everyone likes my place. Thai people always think I ran out of money and could not afford a proper roof. And it does get quite warm with all that glass and open plan living spaces. And polished concrete floors take work. And the sun is brutal on so much white wall surface. So I'm sure your designers thought about the problems and solutions better than I did.

There are some stunning new homes being built in Bahn Fohn right now...if you go up that little soi next to the petrol station and turn left and go on the soi parallel to the main road, there are 3 amazing modern properties being constructed.

When you are well into construction, I will drop by and maybe you will change my mind.

My comment about "soulless" was purely because of the Baan Fohn environment you are located in - so green with trees and big views and that you are very inward looking...

I love modern design, but to me, it must complement the environment and you are in the middle of a beautiful environment, or at least area.

Your design as far as design goes is awesome - clean lines, minimalist and open...I guess it's just that I have both - the ultra modern and the views...that I felt you lacked something, or weren't taking advantage of the location...and the fallout shelter threw me.

Hope you do a better job that I did on storage in such a modern design.

And don't get me wrong. Not everyone likes my place. Thai people always think I ran out of money and could not afford a proper roof. And it does get quite warm with all that glass and open plan living spaces. And polished concrete floors take work. And the sun is brutal on so much white wall surface. So I'm sure your designers thought about the problems and solutions better than I did.

There are some stunning new homes being built in Bahn Fohn right now...if you go up that little soi next to the petrol station and turn left and go on the soi parallel to the main road, there are 3 amazing modern properties being constructed.

When you are well into construction, I will drop by and maybe you will change my mind.

Hi,

Ok, I understand. Yes the area is surrounded with lots of trees, and its true that our main view comes from within the complex, but, it will still be green views none the less. We feel that it fits into the environment, as there are already a few modern houses in the area, although not quite as extreme as Sanctum.

Thank you for the compliments, its nice to share the same aesthetic appreciation with modern architecture lovers. And yes, you are lucky that you have both, an ultra modern design as well as stunning views. Your property is very appealing.

As for maintenance issues, this has been considered very carefully in the use of all the products. There is no paint used at all, instead all the walls are rendered in either pigmented cement or clay, to give soft faux colors. Shading is used to reduce thermal heat build up, light weight 25cm thick QCON bricks used on the west facing side for their excellent insulation properties. UV security film used on windows facing west. No real wood is used as the upkeep is quite intense. No glass windows will have direct sunlight hitting except for the west side. Eco spray foam insulations used on the underside of the flat roof to ensure the top bedrooms are nice and cool. Consideration was also giving to natural ventilation, so even though each room has an aircon, the need to use it should be minimal. Ample storage rooms as well.

One villa has already been reserved, so construction will begin on that one first. You are more then welcome to visit the site during the construction to view the quality of the materials and the build. And welcome to a final visit upon the completion of the villa....

Thank you....

post-234432-0-67776200-1431077074_thumb.

You have done a much better job that I did of preventative maintenance. Worth all the expense. Agree on wood. I'm about to tear up the entire teak pool deck for sandstone (sealed). The sun is brutal unless your lying under an umbrella with a cold drink...

I bet someone installs a huge fresh water aquarium in that lounge room. It's perfect with no direct sunlight and an ambience that would give some life and color to that space.

You have also thought about lighting and ambient lighting - looks great. I'm sure by night it is pretty spectacular. Have you installed SONOS or similar throughout?

Is that the salt water pool off the lounge? Do the doors slide wide open to take advantage of the pool and garden space for entertaining?

Look forward to seeing the home when complete.

You have done a much better job that I did of preventative maintenance. Worth all the expense. Agree on wood. I'm about to tear up the entire teak pool deck for sandstone (sealed). The sun is brutal unless your lying under an umbrella with a cold drink...

I bet someone installs a huge fresh water aquarium in that lounge room. It's perfect with no direct sunlight and an ambience that would give some life and color to that space.

You have also thought about lighting and ambient lighting - looks great. I'm sure by night it is pretty spectacular. Have you installed SONOS or similar throughout?

Is that the salt water pool off the lounge? Do the doors slide wide open to take advantage of the pool and garden space for entertaining?

Look forward to seeing the home when complete.

Yes, added expense but will be well worth it in the end. The sun here is a force not to be taken lightly. Hence most of our outdoor areas are covered, except for the salt water swimming pool and open sky deck. But we see the sky deck being used in the morning for yoga, or evening for drinks while the sun is setting, and at night to entertain around the bio-alchol fire place as you look down onto the ambiance of the glowing swimming pool.

Actually, we were initially thinking of installing a glowing jelly fish tank in that room, however then comes a degree of maintenance so we will leave that up to the individual owner. Along the wall in the cinema room is a bar fridge hidden in the lower cabinet. And yes, SONOS will be used throughout the entire villa, and 5.1 Surround sound in the cinema room. As an added feature, the speakers can be turned into a intercom system with an iPhone app. So if the one partner is in the garage and the other on the 3 floor, they only need to speak into their phone and their message will be heard throughout the entire villa. No need to shout anymore....:)

Yes, the infinity edge salt water pool is off the lounge and the dinning / kitchen area, so that when the sliding trackless glass doors are fully open, they are tucked away into the wall, essentially creating one huge open space that is indoors and outdoors. If you like to have BBQ's and entertain guests, it does not get any better. The pool also has endless swim jets if you want a work out, massage jets for sore muscles, changeable color underwater LED lights, as well as an acrylic panel that will let the light of the pool into the garage below.

We welcome your visit upon completion....

post-234432-0-49426600-1431079264_thumb.

post-234432-0-78157300-1431079291_thumb.

You have thought this out, and the more you explain, the more I like the design and features...besides the views, but that's just because I could not live without them after having them.

I can imagine that this will appeal to a lot of weekend Bangkokians that want to be able to lock the door and feel safe and secure when they go back to Bangkok, store their car and never have to worry. And price wise, compared to Bangkok and what you would get for that money, it's great value. Or Singaporean and Hong Kongers...same reasons.

...and I'll look pretty stupid if North Korea nuke downtown Chiang Mai.

You have thought this out, and the more you explain, the more I like the design and features...besides the views, but that's just because I could not live without them after having them.

I can imagine that this will appeal to a lot of weekend Bangkokians that want to be able to lock the door and feel safe and secure when they go back to Bangkok, store their car and never have to worry. And price wise, compared to Bangkok and what you would get for that money, it's great value. Or Singaporean and Hong Kongers...same reasons.

...and I'll look pretty stupid if North Korea nuke downtown Chiang Mai.

Thank you kindly....

And yes, you have identified our main target market, precisely. Lets all hope that North Korea never lets a nuke off in the world, as it will have dire consequences for the entire planet.

We shall be in touch....

...and props for responding to my first email with professionalism and honesty and taking the time to explain your logic and rationale.

You could have easily taken offense at my initial mail and responded back very differently.

You didn't, and that's a credit to you and the development.

If that's the way you approach everyone, then you will win some business and convert some people that were initially very skeptical, like me.

Well done and good luck.

Meanwhile, back towards the original topic (apologies as I know this is slightly off the original question asked by the OP)...

Any recommendations where to stay within the centre of Chiang Mai? Looking to maybe spend a year or 2 there to see what it's like & don't want to have to own/rent a car or a bike.

Want to be close to the restaurants, shops, bars etc... & either somewhere with a reasonable gym or somewhere close to one.

Any suggestions of areas with example Condos greatly appreciated...

Thanks

JB

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/7/2015 at 5:16 PM, mascarabertha said:
On 5/7/2015 at 5:11 PM, dru2 said:

Funny, Bertha hasn't posted in a year was very defensive of this project.