2 month Extension Ending

Either you show you are the legal father of the child and show an income of 40,000 a month (van be from abroad) OR 400,000 baht in a bank account in your name in Thailand or you have to go abroad and apply for a visa.

I am the legal father and have already shown that on all my 2 month Extension's. ... so I have to leave to a nearby country Thai Embassy, that is my only option after 2 month extension?

I can show money in bank and income higher than suggested? Is that an option?

As said, if you can show an income of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailnd you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay, if you live with your child.

I would ask at your local immigration office what you would need to show.

Not that the birth certificate alone does not make you the legal father. If the child is under 7 years old, only a judge can make you the legal father (unless you marry the mother).

Ok Mario. I am not married but my name is on the birth certificate. So a visa run is my only option.

For now yes, but you can become the legal father by petitioning the court. Takes about 3 months.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok Mario. I am not married but my name is on the birth certificate. So a visa run is my only option.

You only have the option of applying for a visa outside Thailand .

At Savannakhet you may be able to obtain a 90 day visa with the childs birth certificate + housebook.

They do not have to go with you, but you need paperwork from them:

- birth certificate

- house hold registration book child

- house hold registration book gf

- ID-card gf

all singed.

and preferably a short note from GF asking for a visa for you and confirming that you live together and are taking care of the child.

I

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

nzexpat you state "may" be able to? What if I cannot, what are my others options? Also does my Spouse and child have to be with me for this?

My understanding is that the girlfriend and child need not be with you

If the 90 day visa option is refused there is always the possibility of applying for a tourist visa.

Ok Mario are those originals or copies signed?

You need to get the copies signed by your gf.

It's a good idea to take the original birth certificate.

Do you live with your child and their mother when in Thailand?

Do you plan to stay in Thailand when your next visa expires (apply for further extensions)?

Do you have access to 400k or an income from abroad of at least 40k pm?

Q1. Yes

Q2. No

Q3. Yes

I only need 30 days as head off to work soon. So better just a border run this time. Is that ok after extension?

Thats good. Before you enter next time get yourself a non-immigration 'O' visa as a parent of a Thai national. You just need to submit copies the paperwork listed in the thread. Then once you are in Thailand you can apply for a 1 year extension, which can be renewed annually thereafter. Note that only non-immigration visas can be extended for 1 year. You must be living with the child and be able to demonstrate the financial requirement. If you are using 400k as proof then, as a parent applicant, you can deposit the money in your bank account anytime prior to the application date. If you need to leave the country during the year you should apply for a re-entry permit. This can be applied for at anytime but can be done when applying for the extension. If you exit without a re-entry permit your extension of stay ends and you'd need a new visa.

You don't need to be the legal parent to apply for the visa or extension. Being the biological father is sufficient. However, I would recommend that you file for parental rights because only your girlfriend has automatic parental rights, and only she can make unilateral, legally backed up, decisions concerning your child.

To get the one year extension of stay based upon being the parent to a Thai does require the applicants parenthood be legitimized, It is the same to get a multiple entry non-o visa at many embassies and consulates.

• Like 1

I have birth certificate with my name in, also blood test results proving I am Father. What more do I need?

Legal papers from a Thai court !

Check with a lawyer

Q1. Yes

Q2. No

Q3. Yes

I only need 30 days as head off to work soon. So better just a border run this time. Is that ok after extension?

Thats good. Before you enter next time get yourself a non-immigration 'O' visa as a parent of a Thai national. You just need to submit copies the paperwork listed in the thread. Then once you are in Thailand you can apply for a 1 year extension, which can be renewed annually thereafter. Note that only non-immigration visas can be extended for 1 year. You must be living with the child and be able to demonstrate the financial requirement. If you are using 400k as proof then, as a parent applicant, you can deposit the money in your bank account anytime prior to the application date. If you need to leave the country during the year you should apply for a re-entry permit. This can be applied for at anytime but can be done when applying for the extension. If you exit without a re-entry permit your extension of stay ends and you'd need a new visa.

You don't need to be the legal parent to apply for the visa or extension. Being the biological father is sufficient. However, I would recommend that you file for parental rights because only your girlfriend has automatic parental rights, and only she can make unilateral, legally backed up, decisions concerning your child.

Incorrect, as has been said, you need to be the legal parent of the child to get a years extension.

Q1. Yes

Q2. No

Q3. Yes

Incorrect, as has been said, you need to be the legal parent of the child to get a years extension.

Ok to be clear. A Non 'O' based on being a parent can be obtained with only a birth certificate. I know this because a friend recently (April) got one with only the birth certificate, mothers ID and house book.

OP - my apologies. I was wrong concerning the 1 year extension. You do need to be the legal parent for the 1 year extension. This requirement is not given in the extension criteria & conditions issued by immigration but it is on the immigration bureau website.

19. Question : Could the alien having Thai son/daughter stay in the Kingdom in order to be supported?

Answer : According to the Regulation,This case could be applied by the reason of being a family member of Thai national.The requirements are as follows;

1.The foreginer (father/mother must have been granted “Non-Immigrant Visa”

2.Having any proof of relationship.eg.Birth Certificate

3.Having evidences of nationality of his/her Thai son/daughter eg.Thai ID Card,Household Registration

4.Father/Mother must have average income not less than 40,000 Bath per month or having money in Thai bank account (Fixed/Saving) not less than 400,000 Bath by showing the relevant documents eg.individual income tax return together with payment receipt or update bank passbook and certified letter from the bank or evidence of receiving retirement pension included certified letter from his/her Embassy located in Thailand.

5.An affidavit confirming the alien’s parental status with a Thai national.

So you could still get the non-immigrant 'O' visa and have time to you organise your parental rights before applying for the 1 year extension.

It appears in clause 2.18 of Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 documents for extension of stay.

"3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency

It appears in clause 2.18 of Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557 documents for extension of stay.

"3. Copy of documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimization, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency

Thank you Joe. I haven't seen this order before.

So I can gain a Non O visa with only my Child's Birth Certificate and after the Non O get a 1 year extension (but must be LEGAL parent in Thai law).

Does that sum it up for my options I think. Thank you for all input it is confusing when not married and living in Thailand .

Edited by milkycheese

So I can gain a Non O visa with only my Child's Birth Certificate and after the Non O get a 1 year extension (but must be LEGAL parent in Thai law).

Does that sum it up for my options I think. Thank you for all input it is confusing when not married and living in Thailand .

You might have expressed that more succinctly but if I understand what is being said then YES a 1 year extension of stay can only be obtained with documentation which proves legal parenthood.

Yes on both counts.

But visa criteria does vary between embassies/consulates so it's a good idea to advise which country/office you will be applying for the Non-'O' at and I'm sure someone will confirm if that office will accept only a birth certificate.

Again, my apologies for adding to your confusion. In my defence; as my friend obtained a Non-'O' with only a birth certificate, 60 day extensions only need a birth certificate and Immigration Order 327-2557 - Extension Criteria & Conditions does not include being the legal parent in the criteria (which it should) I came to a wrong conclusion. Plus it makes no sense that being the legal parent is only required for a 1 year extension!

You do have options.

Getting a single entry Non-'O' followed by a 1 year extension is probably your best long term option.

In the meantime, without being the legal parent, you could get a single entry Non-'O' which would enable you to stay for about 5 months. Enter for 90 days and then extend for 60 days.

Another option, as a short term solution, would be to apply for a single or double entry Tourist Visa (TR). A single TR will give you about 4 months. 60 days on entry plus a 60 day extension for being a parent. A double entry TR could give about 7 months but would require a border run after 90 days. Enter for 60 days, extend for 30 days, cross the border and re-enter for another 60 days then apply for a 60 day extension for being a parent.

Edited by elviajero