New Website Pushes for a Democratic Referendum on New Constitution

Jacob Maslow

A group of over 150 people are making a push for democratic referendum on Thailand’s new constitution. The group, which is led by academics Charnvit Kasetsiri and Nidhi Eawsriwong, has launched a website (prachamai.org) that allows people to vote on various aspects of the draft and propose topics to be put to a referendum.

The group is comprised of activists, academics, journalists, politicians, unions, film directors, writers and more.

Three proposals have been made by the group for different scenarios.

The first scenario: If the charter draft is rejected by the NRC (National Reform Committee), a new CDC (Constitution Drafting Council) will be created, and each member will be chosen by voters.

The second scenario: If the NRC does approve the draft, a public referendum will be held so that voters can decide whether or not to accept the draft. This must take place within 30 days.

The third scenario: If voters do not accept the draft, a new CDC will be formed with members elected by voters, and a new drafting process will begin. The CDC will have 30 days to write a new draft. If the new draft is approved, a general election will then be held within 60 days.

The group’s website is a collaboration of ThaiPublica.org, Prachatai.com, Internet Law Reform Dialogue and the Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies.

tvn.png
-- 2015-05-05

Don't see the powers that be being happy with others having an opinion.

This is futile and irrelevant as it serves no purpose and won't make one iota of a difference. This carries less weight than a NIDA poll and is totally unrepresentative of the people's wishes!! I don't think that they will be quaking in their boots.

This is futile and irrelevant as it serves no purpose and won't make one iota of a difference. This carries less weight than a NIDA poll and is totally unrepresentative of the people's wishes!! I don't think that they will be quaking in their boots.

Very easy for you to be proved right. The website will remain open.

Time will tell

Only when Civilian Authority is superior to Military Authority can there be a stable government. Will this ever happen? I doubt it - or at least not anytime soon.

Only when civilian authority respects and abides by the law, there is an independent impartial fair one justice for all with similar enforcement of laws, can a civilian authority legitimately have control over military authority.

Allowing a non elected criminal who as twisted the political process to effectively control the civilian authority whilst ignoring the law and courts, to also have authority of the military would be a disaster and guarantee an unjust corrupt dictatorship. That's one example.

Until the political system is overhauled with real checks and balances, and the judicial system is overhauled with the same free impartial justice for all, with an effective impartial law enforcement system in place, then military authority remains the only real counter balance.

So yes, you are right - not likely anytime soon.

Time will tell

All credit to those who have put the names to it but if I read the translation correctly it won't be open for very long.

Time will tell

Yes, time will tell. I am confident that this changes nothing and that they are wasting their time and energy on this!!

Umm, how do you know? Does your enthusiasm for a government imposed by force include you deciding what are the peoples wishes?

Only when Civilian Authority is superior to Military Authority can there be a stable government. Will this ever happen? I doubt it - or at least not anytime soon.

Only when civilian authority respects and abides by the law, there is an independent impartial fair one justice for all with similar enforcement of laws, can a civilian authority legitimately have control over military authority.

Allowing a non elected criminal who as twisted the political process to effectively control the civilian authority whilst ignoring the law and courts, to also have authority of the military would be a disaster and guarantee an unjust corrupt dictatorship. That's one example.

Until the political system is overhauled with real checks and balances, and the judicial system is overhauled with the same free impartial justice for all, with an effective impartial law enforcement system in place, then military authority remains the only real counter balance.

So yes, you are right - not likely anytime soon.

What gives the military authority the right to ABOLISH the rule of law, rob Thais of their sovereignty, and dictate how and who governs them? There can be no meaningful overhaul of the political system without equal overhaul of the military system.