Our Reputation Takes Another Hit

marshbags

I was asked for advice for a Thai lady now in the U.K. who i know.

I met her before she went and she was so happy and excited.

She had got a visa and was going to get married to a very good man who she had know for 18 months

We had met and I thought, yes you will be o.k. with him. ( i was mistaken )

Now she is coming home early because her boyfriend tells her he cannot marry her now.

My first thoughts where surely he would not pay for her to go there, get her a visa ect. if he wasn,t serious, and with good intentions.

Yes i was mistaken again.

It now comes out she has borrowed 60,000 baht to pay for her ticket ect. from family and friends.

He promised to give it her back when she was in the U.K. ( uh! oh! )

It appears he is now treating her like shit and so she is cutting short her stay after 4 months and is returning early.

Unfortunately he wll not give her the money back and she wanted to know if i could advise her on what to do.

She is returning to no job and at this time, no prospects, along with the 60K debt to take care of.

She has never suggested i help her with this, just in case someone has a suspicious mind.

I am tempted to tell her to go to the police and talk to them about her situation and see if they can advise / assist her.

It,s another month before she is coming back as she is hoping to make him see reason and do the right thing. ( One last try )

I,ve passed on to her to stay polite, be nice and ask him to please keep his promise on refunding the money while explaining the hardship she faces.

She studied English and can communicate very well by the way.

There are times when i am ashamed of my fellow countrymen and feel sickened, today is such a time.

There,s some right low life on the loose among us, no mistake :o

marshbags :D:D:D

Can the mods transfer this to a relevant forum please, sorry i thought it was in general.

Edited by marshbags

It now comes out she has borrowed 60,000 baht to pay for her ticket ect. from family and friends.

That is what she's telling you.

She has never suggested i help her with this, just in case someone has a suspicious mind.

No but when you do help out it will seem like it's your very own idea.

Edited by GuestHouse

She is returning to no job and at this time, no prospects, along with the 60K debt to take care of.

I am tempted to tell her to go to the police and talk to them about her situation and see if they can advise / assist her.

Exactly what do you suppose the police will do? Its not their business, and the guy has commited no crime.

She had got a visa and was going to get married to a very good man who she had know for 18 months

Now she is coming home early because her boyfriend tells her he cannot marry her now.

My first thoughts where surely he would not pay for her to go there, get her a visa ect. if he wasn,t serious, and with good intentions.

It appears he is now treating her like shit and so she is cutting short her stay after 4 months and is returning early.

Unfortunately he wll not give her the money back and she wanted to know if i could advise her on what to do.

It,s another month before she is coming back as she is hoping to make him see reason and do the right thing. ( One last try )

I,ve passed on to her to stay polite, be nice and ask him to please keep his promise on refunding the money while explaining the hardship she faces.

There are times when i am ashamed of my fellow countrymen and feel sickened, today is such a time.

Can the mods transfer this to a relevant forum please, sorry i thought it was in general.

Yes some farangs are just like that, what he did was wrong and If she was a close friend of mine and so was he I would be telling him to keep his promise too, if not I would probaly befriend him for being such an ###### to a fellow friend.

Love make you do silly thing, and in this case, it made her borrowed the 60,000 baht to be with an arse hole. The money is not alot to most of us (approx $1600) but it sure seems like a million dollars to the average Thai folks.

I don't think the police can do antyhing for her at all. As far as I can see, he didn't forced her to borrow the money nor were there any written contract. IMO, she should cut all ties with the bastard and go back home to her friends and family. The 60,000 baht borrowed can be paid back slowly in time. If her family are decent folks they will understand. There are alot of nice Thais family out there so lets hope her family is one of them.

Edited by OZONE

Yes some farangs are just like that, what he did was wrong and If she was a close friend of mine and so was he I would be telling him to keep his promise too, if not I would probaly befriend him for being such an ###### to a fellow friend.

Urrmmm...he is not a Farang now, he is in his own country AND we have not heard his side of the story.

Yet another pearl of wisdom from our Thai Expert - The Donz.

Exactly what do you suppose the police will do? Its not their business, and the guy has commited no crime.

actually he may have .....

but might be hard to prove

Urrmmm...he is not a Farang now, he is in his own country AND we have not heard his side of the story.

Well I believe the Farang did it, why else would she lie?

JD, you mean something along the lines of a verbal agreement about the money? Or even an agreement via email? I think very hard to prove, and not sure it would stand up in court.

I'm guessing she's best asking for the money back and see what happens, but I doubt there's anything she can do about it. Then she needs to fly back here and look for a job, or another husband. :o

To gently coax marshbags out of 60 k?

Shes probably telling truth, but really no one knows her side of the story so bit harsh to lay such judgements on the guy.

Shes probably telling truth, but really no one knows her side of the story so bit harsh to lay such judgements on the guy.

Not really, it gets done on here all the time. I guess we will never know his side of the story and just have to work on this

Not really, it gets done on here all the time. I guess we will never know his side of the story and just have to work on this

Not really what? "Gently coax marshbags out of 60k?" or "probably telling the truth?"

She was a bit foolish to borrow 60k to pay her own expenses.

This is not the usual way in farang/Thai affairs.

It's also a bit more than the air fare.

How did she get her UK visa ?

Was it some kind of "fiancée" thing ?

Did the BF have to sponsor , undertake to support financially ?

If so she may have a leg to stand on.

Otherwise , the guy didn't actually take any money off her so no crime.

JD, you mean something along the lines of a verbal agreement about the money? Or even an agreement via email? I think very hard to prove, and not sure it would stand up in court.

I'm guessing she's best asking for the money back and see what happens, but I doubt there's anything she can do about it. Then she needs to fly back here and look for a job, or another husband. :o

I don't know UK law ... but Breach of Promise comes to mind .... (similar to renegeing on a verbal contract but specific to marraige)

With some people the 'soft' treatment will not work. I would say, to the police station and report it. He would probably do it again, and if that can be prevented all the better.

Tell police what?

One man made holidays in Thailand, I fly to him because I want to marry him. I borrowed 60 K because I thought thats a good investment, later I get that back. Now it does not work like it should.

So please put him in jail and give me his ATM card, ka

this is a story played out thousands of times a week all over the world.

man loses fortune to cheating woman

woman loses all to terrible cad

dog bites man

man bites dog

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have to agree here.....what`s the old saying `alls fair in love and war`

[

I have to agree here.....what`s the old saying `alls fair in love and war`

Cant see any way the police would act in the UK my only suggestion is for her to tell him that on her return she's going to make a stink at the Embassy and tell them that he didnt support her and made her work etc etc so that he wouldnt be able to Sponser another Girl in the Future.

Depends how dim he is but 'fire with fire'

Johnb

well it is a verbal agreement, probaly wont do her any good though

Wrong.

I'm not a UK Lawyer, but my best friend is a Barrister in the UK.

Contract law is the law that governs contracts. A contract can take several forms - it can be written on a piece of paper (or napkin, even) or it can be just a verbal agreement if it satisfies the Statute of Frauds.

A contract is basically an agreement between two or more people which creates an obligation to do, or not do, something. The agreement creates a legal relationship of rights and duties. If the agreement is broken, then the law provides certain remedies.

The contract was, she flies to the UK and he pays the airfare on her arrival or soon after.

If this has also been mentioned in an email the requirement of proof is removed.

However, that only works if everything happened the way the OP stated.

well it is a verbal agreement, probaly wont do her any good though

Wrong.

I'm not a UK Lawyer, but my best friend is a Barrister in the UK.

Contract law is the law that governs contracts. A contract can take several forms - it can be written on a piece of paper (or napkin, even) or it can be just a verbal agreement if it satisfies the Statute of Frauds.

A contract is basically an agreement between two or more people which creates an obligation to do, or not do, something. The agreement creates a legal relationship of rights and duties. If the agreement is broken, then the law provides certain remedies.

The contract was, she flies to the UK and he pays the airfare on her arrival or soon after.

If this has also been mentioned in an email the requirement of proof is removed.

However, that only works if everything happened the way the OP stated.

Thats good news then, I hope she gets her money back that she was promised

Is this not just the scenario we read about on TV 1,000 times before? Except it's usually naive farang guy meets apparently nice Thai girl. He falls in love and parts with his money. She turns out to be a total sh*t. He retreats back to home country and curses all Thai girls.

Seems this time that the shoe is on the other foot. I feel sorry for this Thai lady, but no more than I would feel for all the farang guys who have been down this route before...

Simon