Office Network, File Sharing Rights

h90

Situation:

Small office, the strongest computer makes also the file server for the others (mostly just simple excel files).

Every user can use any computer as he get the files from the file server.

Now my computer is in a different room, dedicated to me, and I hate log in all the time, so no password.

I would like to be able to get access to all files on the file-server. Is there an easy way, based on the IP adress or can I automatic log in with username and password without getting asked for?

Any good ideas?

This should work although I haven't tested it:

I assume the computers are all in the same workgroup and that the file server is running XP. Create a user on the file server with a password and make him an administrator. Create the same user/password on your computer. Map a network drive on your computer to the file server share using the different name option - use this new user. Even after reboots, the mapped drive which is the folder you want to access on the server should be available.

Peter

Situation:

Small office, the strongest computer makes also the file server for the others (mostly just simple excel files).

Every user can use any computer as he get the files from the file server.

Now my computer is in a different room, dedicated to me, and I hate log in all the time, so no password.

I would like to be able to get access to all files on the file-server. Is there an easy way, based on the IP adress or can I automatic log in with username and password without getting asked for?

Any good ideas?

Yes, what you need to do can be done.

You don't have to muck around with creating same user/passwords on different computers.

Assuming your using some sort of Windows... Server is formatted with NTFS...

Rights are assigned to files and folders regarding ID's.

Assuming your doing this peer to peer with no domain name server.

The computers are in the same workgroup.

blah blah blah...

You don't want to use "simple file sharing". In windows explorer, Tools/Options/View tab. Last option <--- You have to scroll.

On your computer, search out the server under network connections, entire network, Microsoft Windows Network, [and your workgroup name].

Try to access a shared directory. If it's not open, but restricted, it will ask you for a login and password. Checkoff remember password.

You can map to the drive so it will automatically be there on startup. Or you can just go to it via network connections in windows explorer.

Honestly though, you shouldn't make your fastest computer your server for a basic small/medium office with no database intensive applications.

You take your oldest and slowest computer, put in 2 new hard drives to run in a mirrored array, and then use that computer as your file server/fax server/print server and domain name server.

g-