Good job in Uttaradit (the school I work in)

Job involves teaching P1-6 bilingual and non-bilingual. You will teach non bilingual conversational English, and top up with either science or maths. No great strains about how you teach as long as you are covering the curriculum.

Money is OK for the region, 32k per month plus 3k housing allowance. 12 month contract and all holidays paid. Usual stipulation that you don't actually get all the hols actually off; what with English camp etc, but still OK. Resigning bonus of 1 month's pay. If you want to further your education the school are great for that and have allowed some of the teachers extra hols etc for that.

They organise paperwork for work permit,visa etc, and pay for the work permit and visa up to a maximum per year ( I have only ever paid for my traveling expenses to Savannahket, but they paid for the visa)

The school ((this is the websitehttp://www.anubanutt.ac.th/ ) sorry admin I didn't know if I could put this link in... so I did anyway) is easy going, but expect the usual communication and face issues. In general, I think the Thai staff are great with us. I have only worked here for 18 months but think it is a good school to work in compared to others I have worked in, and ones I have been told about. The town is a mid-sized town that has Tesco,Pizza 101, KFC, plus various places to get western food (Steak, Pizza, French food, proper cakes and bread, etc). Entertainment includes clubs etc for the younger at heart. This is not a big city, but has enough entertainment and things to do for singles or families (I have a family). All in all, I am definitely happy that I left my last school (also a good one) to work here

The school only want a native speaker (so I apologise to other nationalities), and they would certainly prefer a degree. Please don't apply if you have a distance or dodgy degree as I am personally checking these. There may be room for maneuver about the degree if there is experience that can be verified; so don't be afraid to apply because of that. The school is looking for a capable teacher who will play ball with the system and not rock any boats, and to be honest, so are the other Foreign teachers.

Please do not expect to be employed blind. An interview in person (preferable, though difficult depending on location), by skype or by telephone should be expected.

I can't think of anything else, but if you have any questions, please PM me. If you would like to apply, take the same route and PM me with a CV and cover letter. If you can attach proof of quals (TEFL, Degree etc) then that will speed up any process.

Cheers

"Please don't apply if you have a distance or dodgy degree as I am personally checking these"

University of London and The Open University offer distance-learning degrees that I am sure are accepted by the TCT, Immigration and Labour. There are more.

Many foreign teachers have enrolled on distance-learning post-graduate degrees that they hope will be accepted by the TCT for teacher licensing requirements.

I guess none of these teachers should apply at your school.

Edited by Loaded

"Please don't apply if you have a distance or dodgy degree as I am personally checking these"

University of London and The Open University offer distance-learning degrees that I am sure are accepted by the TCT, Immigration and Labour. There are more.

Many foreign teachers have enrolled on distance-learning post-graduate degrees that they hope will be accepted by the TCT for teacher licensing requirements.

I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have kept it to dodgy, but, as I have already been checking degrees and some of them have been online/distance learning degrees that have been from mills, I am trying to nip it in the bud.

To be honest, with zero replies I don't suppose it matterssmile.png. I did think with the amount of teachers who complain about conditions etc I would have had a few inquiries. Perhaps there was too much info.

Thanks for pointing this out

I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have kept it to dodgy, but, as I have already been checking degrees and some of them have been online/distance learning degrees that have been from mills, I am trying to nip it in the bud.

To be honest, with zero replies I don't suppose it matterssmile.png. I did think with the amount of teachers who complain about conditions etc I would have had a few inquiries. Perhaps there was too much info.

Thanks for pointing this out

I like Uttaradit but I don't think I could live there unless I had a good reason - wife's family for example.

You need to catch the attention of independent souls who will enjoy provincial town life imo. It's one of the reasons why provincial town schools now often use adventure travel/Internship companies to find teachers. Their marketing reaches those people. But the school then needs to pay an agency fee so salaries drop.

Another approach could be that you post on a South African based travel forum. The whites are storming the exit gates and quite a few are heading here.

Edited by Loaded

I think the kick in the teeth is that mandatory summer camp, unless it is paid overtime on top of salary. Also if teachers could leave when not in the classroom. There are enough jobs that offer some flexibility.

To be honest not many people use this website for job searches compared to dave's or ajarn. There are also a lot of other teaching dedicated forums where you would have better luck.

Personally, I would recommend contacting a TEFL School that you know and respect and ask them if they have any graduates that they recommend.

good luck. It sounds like a reasonable position for the region. The problem for many is that with the new qualifications to just get a local license, they can now work at International schools or abroad for 4-5x the money. Those that are willing to take the lower paid jobs just aren't qualified to do so.

I think the kick in the teeth is that mandatory summer camp, unless it is paid overtime on top of salary. Also if teachers could leave when not in the classroom. There are enough jobs that offer some flexibility.

To be honest not many people use this website for job searches compared to dave's or ajarn. There are also a lot of other teaching dedicated forums where you would have better luck.

Personally, I would recommend contacting a TEFL School that you know and respect and ask them if they have any graduates that they recommend.

good luck. It sounds like a reasonable position for the region. The problem for many is that with the new qualifications to just get a local license, they can now work at International schools or abroad for 4-5x the money. Those that are willing to take the lower paid jobs just aren't qualified to do so.

Thanks for the comment. The summer camp isn't a massive burden as it is only for a week at 2 hours a day, and I leave the school if I have no lessons and have something to do. Nice advice about the TEFL school though. Ideally we would like some experience, but it is an option to be sure.

Cheers

Building my house in Uttaradit and might be looking for a job starting October. Definately not now, as it wouldn't be nice to my curent school to move without prior warning at the beginning of term. Also not, realy interested in teaching at an Anubarn but how many hours a week is this? (I might even consider a part-time job).

At my current job I am now almost 9 years and i have a full teaching license, not a waiver. But I am not a native speaker.

Building my house in Uttaradit and might be looking for a job starting October. Definately not now, as it wouldn't be nice to my curent school to move without prior warning at the beginning of term. Also not, realy interested in teaching at an Anubarn but how many hours a week is this? (I might even consider a part-time job).

At my current job I am now almost 9 years and i have a full teaching license, not a waiver. But I am not a native speaker.

I am really sorry but a native speaker is the only definite at the moment. I know this is a shame, but I am not in control of the criteria

There are many people that take TEFL courses after teaching for a year or 2. Not everyone is a newb. Just tell them exactly what you are looking for.

I apologise for not putting enough information into the post... not. I don't believe there is any restriction as to experience, as long as it can be verified, in my original post, and I would suggest you actually read it before commenting like this. Your previous post was very helpful; but this one appears to have ignored the other posts in the thread. I actually commented on the great advice about TEFL organisations, and have contacted some of them because of it.

Thanks again for the advice previously given, but I really do believe that I have told the people "exactly what you are looking for". In fact, I thought I was giving too much information, which you would be able to see if you compared my post with other posts about jobs.

I dare say you are trying to help,and I thank you for that

Cheers

I am really sorry but a native speaker is the only definite at the moment. I know this is a shame, but I am not in control of the criteria

Hey mate,

It seems a sort of impossible to find somebody through this forum. The 30 K job, paid for 12 months through, no summer camps, etc.. in Ubon doesn't seem to attract anybody.

And it comes with a place to stay, only 18 contact hours, really an easy job.

But I truly hope you'll consider a guy, who can make the kids speak Germish as a successful applicant. When can I start? laugh.png

"Just tell them exactly what you are looking for."

I meant the TEFL schools. Not the people reading this thread. The trainers and admin at the schools are very helpful as they do more business if all of their students get placed. If you want someone with experience they might have a recent grad that does, if other characteristics are more important then tell them that too.

"I thought I was giving too much information, which you would be able to see if you compared my post with other posts about jobs."

Very defensive and aggressive comments. First of all, I was trying to help you. I wasn't arguing/condemning or criticizing you at all.

"and I would suggest you actually read it before commenting like this"

Again, very rude. You clearly misunderstood my suggestion and took this as an attack.

Good luck.

I meant the TEFL schools. Not the people reading this thread. The trainers and admin at the schools are very helpful as they do more business if all of their students get placed. If you want someone with experience they might have a recent grad that does, if other characteristics are more important then tell them that too.

"I thought I was giving too much information, which you would be able to see if you compared my post with other posts about jobs."

Very defensive and aggressive comments. First of all, I was trying to help you. I wasn't arguing/condemning or criticizing you at all.

Again, very rude. You clearly misunderstood my suggestion and took this as an attack.

Good luck.

It seems that I have taken this the wrong way, and as this is so, I apologise for my rude (taken in this light) response to your post.

I really did think that you were being "funny" with me for no apparent reason, and this is what led to my reply. Thanks for your input and, as I stated, I have actually been in contact with a TEFL administrator to try and find somebody suitablewai2.gif

Good luck.

I know nellyp personally and I can assure you that he's really a decent guy. I did get the message that they need somebody with experience and considering the fact that he's gotta work with this guy, actually a good way to "check somebody out."

Please Zeichen, be fair now. There's enough information given about the position, but getting in touch with a TEFL school might not be in everybody's interest.

There's no reason to be aggressive.BTW, I don't think he's rude.But on the other hand, who cares what i think?

Can't we just respect each other, because we're basically all sitting in the same boat?

Life's really too short for that. Good weekend.-

Edited by lostinisaan

Good luck.

I know nellyp personally and I can assure you that he's really a decent guy. I did get the message that they need somebody with experience and considering the fact that he's gotta work with this guy, actually a good way to "check somebody out."

Please Zeichen, be fair now. There's enough information given about the position, but getting in touch with a TEFL school might not be in everybody's interest.

There's no reason to be aggressive.BTW, I don't think he's rude.But on the other hand, who cares what i think?

Can't we just respect each other, because we're basically all sitting in the same boat?

Life's really too short for that. Good weekend.-

Thanks for this mate, though I may have taken the response the wrong way, I really am trying to help the school out here, and only want the best for everybody concerned. Still, if you want to give me 400,000 baht and go through a Thai employment process, I'm up for that... notbiggrin.png