Thai Labor Minister not committed to new wage demand, citing impacts on SMEs

webfact

Labor Minister not committed to new wage demand, citing impacts on SMEs

BANGKOK, 6 May 2015, (NNT) - Labor Minister General Surasak Kanjanarat has indicated that he does not oppose any wage hike, but studies must be conducted to make sure that there is no significant repercussion from the move, particularly on small and medium enterprises (SME).

Gen. Surasak was referring to the recent demand made by labor representatives to increase the minimum wage from 300 baht per day to 360 baht. He said that the government is neither opposing nor supporting the idea, until it receives all inputs about the impacts.

He said SME operators may be forced to exit the market and the unemployment may rise if the adjusted wage rate is too high. Gen. Surasak speculated that the Wage Committee would look into the new wage which was originally been planned for 2016.

In a related matter, the Ministry of Labor is extending the registration and background checking period for foreign workers. The minister warned that business operators who fail to process their foreign labor would be punished in accordance with the law. Currently there are at least 1.6 million registered alien workers in the Kingdom.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-06 footer_n.gif

It is difficult to get any one to do a job properly here no matter the price except if there are foreign workers in the area.

Seems odd to be messing everyone about when there is obviously 100 Thai employment.

But I bow to the Govt's wisdom

Regards

I've had several friends (all farang) trying to run businesses in Thailand, and they've all run up against the same problem - finding and keeping good employees. These guys ALL paid WELL over the currently proposed minimum wage and had very accommodating work schedules (five day work weeks, 8 to 10 hour work days, overtime over 40 hours in a week) and still they have trouble retaining quality workers.

There seems to be a mindset: if you offer an employee 300 baht to work one day or 2000 baht to work five days, they'll take the 300 baht then bolt. Not all Thai employees are like that, of course, but there seems to be a recurring theme.

Thai workers need to change their work ethic, but that also means employers have to stop treating their employees like chattel.

So now they won't increase it at all?

So what is that, if not a free gift against inflation to employers.

No its just that Santa Claus is not coming this year. Heaven forbid that the working man should make a livable wage. Big business will fold up their tents and leave. I think GM is now going to settle in Vietnam or somewhere where the labor is the cheapest in the world. Looks like they want to get out of North America in a big way as well. Even wages in Mexico are becoming expensive. This whole NAFTA thing in North America and the forthcoming TPP are just another way to beat North American labor over the head for a decade or two to teach them to come to heel and learn their place in life much like what happened to the slaves back in the 1800's. After a couple decades with low paying jobs they will have learned their lesson and place in life and manufacturing will slowly return on big businesses and their political friends terms.

So now they won't increase it at all?

So what is that, if not a free gift against inflation to employers.

No its just that Santa Claus is not coming this year. Heaven forbid that the working man should make a livable wage. Big business will fold up their tents and leave. I think GM is now going to settle in Vietnam or somewhere where the labor is the cheapest in the world. Looks like they want to get out of North America in a big way as well. Even wages in Mexico are becoming expensive. This whole NAFTA thing in North America and the forthcoming TPP are just another way to beat North American labor over the head for a decade or two to teach them to come to heel and learn their place in life much like what happened to the slaves back in the 1800's. After a couple decades with low paying jobs they will have learned their lesson and place in life and manufacturing will slowly return on big businesses and their political friends terms.

Well, minimum wage hasn't got much to do with what GM gets up to. But still, I would love to hear the govts explanation why no increase is valid.

They should have at least inflation increase, citing impact on the poor. 3% would be 9 baht a day. 9 baht people, PER DAY!!!!!!180 baht per month assuming 5 days a week. 3.50 GBP increase PER MONTH. 50 POUNDS YEAR.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I did this with 4 businesses and productivity and quality vastly improved plus employees were far more conscientious in their work. The raise paid for itself.

I have found just the opposite...Nothing changed (except their salary) in performance. I find unless individuals have a decent work ethic

within themselves...most realize that regardless of performance they are guaranteed their wage.