PM Prayut introduces subsidy on agricultural equipment

webfact

PM introduces subsidy on agricultural equipment

BANGKOK, 7 May 2015, (NNT) - Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed officials to expedite assistance to drought-affected farmers, while introducing a subsidy on agricultural equipment.

According to government spokesperson Yongyuth Mayalarp, the campaign would issue coupons for farmers to buy discounted seeds, fertilizer and equipment. The program is expected to be implemented soon, he said, adding it would significantly lower expenses for farmers.

Dr. Yongyuth also revealed that the Prime Minister has instructed the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives to educate agricultural operators on various anti-drought measures, reducing overhead expenses and planting alternative crops.

The ministry was also tasked with preventing the low market price of rice in during the next harvest season.

Meanwhile, the government has approved the budget of the One Tambon One Million Baht scheme for 3,051 sub-districts suffering from recurring drought.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-07 footer_n.gif

I like the idea of subsidy on equipment...

Purchases of new equipment should help create better efficiency and productivity in the farming process

I agree with you... It just depends on who is getting the subsidies. I'd like to know a lot more about how that would work.

If they are just going to issue coupons, they will just be swapped, traded or sold, or the items bought with them will be.

New ¨Iron Buffalo¨ or I-Phone, Hmmmmm we never had one before, get the I-Phone then Somjet can see how well off we are.

the middle men are being brought under the microscope on just about every ag product, bought from or sold to farmers, inluding illegal land deals. they are basically a part of the commercial society of thailand who suck the farners down to the bare bone so all that is left for their cooking pot. the middle men are eating high on the hog and then laundering their corrupt gotten gain via high intrest loans, rental equipment, foreclosure, forced sub contract labor, etc

most of the tambons have a family or 2 who suck monies out of village circulation, then add in what the temples take, while contributing very little and you have a vast number of people who spend at least 1/2 their time trying to feed, cloth and partially educate their extended families.

I have been sickened by the exchange of 14/15 year olds exchanged for cash payment of 10,000 baht in return for labor or other activity to contribute to paying on a family debt. guess what family fronted the money?

the middle men are being brought under the microscope on just about every ag product, bought from or sold to farmers, inluding illegal land deals. they are basically a part of the commercial society of thailand who suck the farners down to the bare bone so all that is left for their cooking pot. the middle men are eating high on the hog and then laundering their corrupt gotten gain via high intrest loans, rental equipment, foreclosure, forced sub contract labor, etc

most of the tambons have a family or 2 who suck monies out of village circulation, then add in what the temples take, while contributing very little and you have a vast number of people who spend at least 1/2 their time trying to feed, cloth and partially educate their extended families.

I have been sickened by the exchange of 14/15 year olds exchanged for cash payment of 10,000 baht in return for labor or other activity to contribute to paying on a family debt. guess what family fronted the money?

Yes it is not much short of a form of slavery. Keep ¨them¨ in debt and make ¨them¨ produce more. That, poor education and a means to keep the masses happy (as the Romans did with the Colosseum) like cheap lottery tickets and soap operas. All you have left is to get rid of any dissidents and you have it made...

Considering how Thai´s feel about the Burmese the only place lower than this would be on a fishing trawler !!

I know there will be no further increase for the farmer as long as he continues to use contractors machines,hire farm labour and sell to the middleman,its a hard cycle to break as soon as the above get a sniff of the farmers discount bang their prices go up.

If they want to help,discount for irrigation equipment would help all the farmers..

Edited by farmerjo

I know there will be no further increase for the farmer as long as he continues to use contractors machines,hire farm labour and sell to the middleman,its a hard cycle to break as soon as the above get a sniff of the farmers discount bang their prices go up.

If they want to help,discount for irrigation equipment would help all the farmers..

There are MANY things that would help the farmers, but how do you make sure that they use the things you give / subsidise them with get used for that purpose?

Helping them is not the intention, it is doing what Woolworths (Australia) did to / for the farmers. First you give them a GREAT price for the produce, then you tell them they have to produce more. When they say ¨we can´t afford that¨ then you offer them the money to buy the seed, machines or whatever and then slash the buying price. In trouble? Owe too much (to one of our subsidiaries? ) We can help (buy) you out. Just sign over the farm and we can bail you out. BUT the contract will be that you work for us for 10 years until you have trained / have 3 x 18 year old´s that we will only pay 20% of your salary for to replace you (your salary is built into the buy price we will pay anyway)!!

Transfer this into a political scenario to help out (control) the people, and consequently, keep them in their place!!

Most Thais (and if you think this is Thai bashing I don´t care it is being ¨executed /used¨ by Thai´s further up the food chain) don´t have the ability to look too far forward in life. What happens if? If I don´t do it like this will it work or last? When I do this what will happen? Where will I be 10 years from now? (try that question on the GF and see the reply!! Good topic for a new thread haha )etc.

Give the masses what they think they need today and they will follow you anywhere, after all isn´t that what the Thaksin clan did? And it worked (this is not Thaksin bashing or about reds or yellows or pinks), and I don´t blame the masses, no one had given them anything before!!

So if you could gain that much loyalty with a road that only had 25% of it´s allocated budget spent on it and lasted only a year, or a new building at the local Wat, imagine what you could get with computers in all schools (and Internet)? OOPs forgot that would be education..... (and thinking ahead).