Slightly Personal Question

DavidOxon

Hi guys, me again!!!

I was just wondering on how you all make a living in the LOS,

I'm guessing, but not sure, that you're all living on income based in your home countries?

eg rent or pension or investment?

Please don't shoot me down in flames, but how much does 'normal' life cost

out there, average home and average tastes etc?

Thanks

David

I'm guessing, but not sure, that you're all living on income based in your home countries?

... Guessing wrong on this part ...

I'd like to hear the answers to this post because I am planning in my later years to live 6 months in thailand and live six months in the US.

:o

... Guessing wrong on this part ...

I'd like to hear the answers to this post because I am planning in my later years to live 6 months in thailand and live six months in the US.

Was working in Afghanistan and am now changing my employment to Pakistan. I will commute home evry other weekend for 3-4 days.

Costs here in Chiangmai...... well that depends on your tastes.

Personally, I spend less than $1000/month that is for my house payment, utilities, car payment & food. I am not part of the bar scene, my wife and kids normally go out to eat twice a week.

Don’t make a living at all did that before big time with little life now no work and we just enjoy life! Don’t you love it when a plan comes together? :o

About 50k a month and we (wife and I) eat out at least once a day and have a beer when we want one. Accommodation can be as much or as little as you want to spend but if you want to settle here long term I would suggest that buying is the better than renting. Like Diablo Bob we are not really part of the bar scene but occasionally let our hair down when we have guests visiting!

Hi guys, me again!!!

Thanks

David

Best to come over for a holiday and see for yourself. You will never get the answers asking

others, who may prefer a more luxurious lifestyle than you. Or folks who simply cannot

afford an upmarket lifestyle. :o

Naka.

David,

If you have school aged kids, their educational expenses can be quite high. In looking back at your previous posts, you were talking about having an income of 70,000/month from your work and an additional income of 40,000/month from renting out your flat, as well as having 2m to make a house. You could live quite well on that and still have money left over, at least here in the north. I would guess basic living expenses would be about 30 to 40K a month without kids, which is about the same as diablo bob, but that wouldn't include very many extras like holidays etc.

I married a Thai with a pretty good job and income, so I can just lay back and enjoy myself while she goes off to work every day. I would think if your fiance can get a job working in the ground crew at CM airport, you can do the same.

Higgy

Hi guys, me again!!!

Thanks

David

Best to come over for a holiday and see for yourself. You will never get the answers asking

others, who may prefer a more luxurious lifestyle than you. Or folks who simply cannot

afford an upmarket lifestyle. :o

Naka.

Actually Naka strangely enough there are a lot of people who can afford an up market life style but are much happier with a more simple life and I can speak from experience.

David, Naka is correct in what he says but if you are married and your wife wants to live in "her" village it will take a lot of getting used to but if you can adjust to it, village life is much slower and more relaxed but not so many western conveniences to hand certainly in the food department.

There is a thread running about village life if you care to read it.

billd766 :D:D:D

You need to lay down at least a dozen parameters to get anywhere near a reasonable estimate but even then I would suggest allowing for an error of +/- 30%:

Single/married/looking

Kids education?

Housing - supplied /hotel/guest house/buying/renting

Food - Eat out/5 star hotels/road side or markets and cook yourself

Beers - Partake/liberal/excessive/not at all

Nightlife - clubs/home by 10

Transport - Buy/rent or buses

This is just the tip and you'll need to define a lot further to get any idea but even them I'll wager that the +/- 30% will still apply no matter how much detail you provide as you just cannot gauge what you will be spending in a city that you have little knowledge of.

> I'm guessing, but not sure, that you're all living on income based in your

> home countries?

Not me..

Spending about 50K/Month.. Wife, kid, 2 cars, house, Cable, Internet, etc, etc.

Hi David, I agree with the general consensus of the guys responding to your questions. The bottom line is you that need to check things out for yourself.

One thing is for sure, most of us do not require anything like the income we used to get back in our home countries yet we are able to lead at least as good a life style.

I have been living and working my own business here for over 25 years, our profit margins are a lot less but by the same token our overheads and tax are also a lot less. My wife, my children (all now married) and myself wouldn’t want to move out of Thailand – ever. But then “to each his own”.

There are some elderly expats I know of who hate it here, but because they have burnt their bridges they have nowhere else to go.

I have not, only because of my long time here. Mine comes from my 15 + years of working here, plus some good local investments. I spend about B60k (1500 u.s.) a month, with a bit more than B100,000 a month from bank interest (5.5%) It has only been the last year, but it feels quite comfortable for me, especially since I can't work anymore...

Never any worries regarding moving back to the US, or anywhere else. This is my home now.

Edited by Ajarn

As a former income tax accountant, I tend to look more on yearly totals, averaged back to monthly amounts. First year here, I bought a new 64K motorcycle, put down two months' rent deposit, bought lots of big and small things. First two years here, I travelled abroad a lot, and I earned a little here, teaching school (very little, overall). I just bought a used truck. Other expenses here and there.

Depends how long the lifestyle string is.

How long the lifestyle string is?...?

Anyway, the short answer is, as Thai people say, "Up to you..."

Meaning, the more Thai you are, and live, the less it costs you to live. If your idea of "fun" is sitting (actually, squatting) on a dirt floor eating noodles with your mates, over a couple of tepid beer Changs, you can live cheaply here.

But, if your notion of "civilization" requires Colgate Toothpaste, fine wine, air conditioning, and nightly dining at Western Sizzler, followed by a fine cigar - be prepared to spend a fortune.

You really do need to spend some time here, to see what we're talking about.

Hope this helps.

:D

Meaning, the more Thai you are, and live, the less it costs you to live. If your idea of "fun" is sitting (actually, squatting) on a dirt floor eating noodles with your mates, over a couple of tepid beer Changs, you can live cheaply here.

But, if your notion of "civilization" requires Colgate Toothpaste, fine wine, air conditioning, and nightly dining at Western Sizzler, followed by a fine cigar - be prepared to spend a fortune.

You really do need to spend some time here, to see what we're talking about.

Hope this helps.

:D

Where is the Western Sizzler ??????

maybe my monthly budget can go up a little

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts.

I'm guessing then that with 50k it is easily possible to live within ones means.

Ajarn . . .are you getting 5.5% from a Thai Bank?

David

Yes, Government Housing Bank

Edited by Ajarn

Hi Ajarn,

Off topic, but were you in the Pizza company this afternoon at the central plaza? Think I saw someone that looks very like your avatar!

I know its off topic, but humour me!

Phil

No, it wasn't me...

The photo is over 20 years old...

Edited by Ajarn

Gonzo, I assume that Niteowl is talking about either Sizzler restaurant in Chiang Mai, airport plaza mall or central kad kaew. I got the half price discount card: 18 times a year, you get one meal free with another meal; or you can always get 10% off on food. Steak, chicken, huge teriyaki hamburgers, starting around 200 baht. Lots of pork, too. A western style salad bar, soup, fruit, dessert, and even Texas toast. Don't eat a meal earlier that day; get your money's worth on an empty stomach. I never noticed if they serve beer, wine, etc.

Gonzo, I assume that Niteowl is talking about either Sizzler restaurant in Chiang Mai, airport plaza mall or central kad kaew. I got the half price discount card: 18 times a year, you get one meal free with another meal; or you can always get 10% off on food. Steak, chicken, huge teriyaki hamburgers, starting around 200 baht. Lots of pork, too. A western style salad bar, soup, fruit, dessert, and even Texas toast. Don't eat a meal earlier that day; get your money's worth on an empty stomach. I never noticed if they serve beer, wine, etc.

Its one of those deals of the century really. worth every penny on that card. Too bad i lost my card and they don't sell that card anymore :D brilliant deal! their salad bar is really good except for them changing the salad dressing/ranch.

Hi guys, me again!!!

Thanks

David

Live here for long enough and you'll realise how truly diverse are the means by which expats make a living.

For example, over the years I have known,been acquainted with or simply crossed paths with :

teacher

diplomat/goverment worker

NGO worker

computer programmer

retiree with massive net worth

pro golfer on Asian tour

banker

general manager of SE Division of a pharmaceutical company

bar owner

sales rep for dairy goods

etc....

I could go on and on and on and on............