Leaving and it's breaking my heart

I booked to return back to the United States.

I was hoping to stay longer but there's stuff I need to do.

This is the second time I'm leaving and it's hard. I feel so empty. The people here treat me the best I've ever been treated. I've met so many interesting people.

I always fear that I can never find my way back either.

I need a cyber hug.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be back - like General McArthur, except his cup of tea was the Filipina ladies, and you like your Thai women, like usthumbsup.gif

God speed, and take the best of your country as it were, it ain't all bad, that from a Canadian

Best,

R and Y = Orange

You're doing the right thing for yourself, but I don't envy you. It would sadden me terribly to be forced to leave. As the saying goes, "you can take the farang out of Thailand, but you can't take Thailand out of the farang." Well, something like that.

You will be back - like General McArthur, except his cup of tea was the Filipina ladies, and you like your Thai women, like usthumbsup.gif

God speed, and take the best of your country as it were, it ain't all bad, that from a Canadian

Best,

R and Y = Orange

Oh women like you totally. I've become addicted.

Best,

R and Y = Orange

I think he meant "you like your Thai women like we do," LOL.

i feel for you mate, can i ask what is the main reason you are leaving ?, just take it has a temporary holiday from here and set yourself a goal to get back asap.

Edited by nev

Your sentiments are just like mine were - a long time ago now when I first came here and had to return - at that time to the UK - I felt I belonged here I felt vindicated in that I was sure that places should be like it is here and not like they'd become elsewhere for example in the UK.

One does get complacent after a while especially if you're 'with someone' I mean the same person all the time but you brought it right back to me - that magical feeling - still get it sometimes - have a good trip & get back soon!

Best,

R and Y = Orange

I think he meant "you like your Thai women like we do," LOL.

It's open season on "girls left behind"......

any clues?

Strange, because when I left I was so happy !

Id also be interested to know as my perception now is its not such a wonderful place....however those that spend their time with rented female company probably don't notice all the other stuff thats going around around them

I remember clearly 12 years ago, my late Wife and I were traveling the Globe looking for somewhere other than the good old UK to retire. We did most of Europe and whilst the places we visited were great for holidays, they didn't quite "ring that bell". Then one day I said to my lovely Lady, what do you want to do before we get too old. She said she wanted to ride an elephant (nearly all our ornaments in the house are elephants of wood, bronze, etc but not ivory). So I said, jump on the internet and book what ever takes your fancy. She was so excited that she had booked a package of 4 days in Bangkok and 10 days in Koh Samui. We loved Samui so much that on the return trip, waiting in the Bangkok Airport I said to my nearest and dearest, "I'm home sick", with that empty feeling in my stomach. She said, "You can't be you silly fool, you'll be home in 24 hours!" I said, "no, not for UK, but for Koh Samui!. "Me too" she said and that was how our plans to live here started. It took us four years to finish work and organize ourselves to come here, but sadly the lovely Lady never made it, courtesy of the Big C. But I clearly remember every time I left the Island, my stomach would sink and I would feel quite down, so long story longer, I completely feel for you. As a previous writer said, "set a plan to come back" and you hopefully will feel less depressed about leaving. By the way, I am now married to a lovely Thai Lady and living in Paradise Island. Love it, love it, love it!!

For what it's worth, OP, I'm leaving too in a couple weeks, after thinking of Thailand as home for 5 years. And, it breaks my heart as well.

For me, I've never worked in Thailand - but working legally in EU/UK for 4-5 months each year, spread out in short trips. But, I'm under 50. And, the last couple years, after first finding immigration completely encouraging of me living here...suddenly, I'm told each entrance that I'm a 'criminal' of sorts, for having developed close ties here as a result, and thinking of it as the place I want to support. People here are always saying how easy it is to get the 'right' visa; but if your circumstances are slightly unusual, or you're not a retiree or one of the few boxes they allow to be checked, immigration have become more like accusatory bigots. When I first came here, 5 years ago, they were begging me to have free, multiple entry visas as often as I wanted. I understand it's their country, etc. But, at least in my case and many of my friends, all they're doing is giving a hard time to people who want to support the economy and be a positive friend to their neighborhoods. Many, many people I know have had to leave recently.

If it really was 'Thailand' who felt that way - and not just angry old guys on TV, and I/O officers accusing me of things I haven't done - it would be easier to accept. But, all the Thai people I know, ask me to stay each day. I know they love me, and they know I love them. It's the government. It's immigration. It's xenophobia and distrust, completely disconnected from most Thai people, and becuase of the nonsense criminality of places like Pattaya, I think mostly.

I'm going to have to get used to life in the EU/UK/US again, full time - and, they all have their great people and aspects. But Thailand, for me, will always be the love that a xenophobic coup came between. My GF is heart broken, and there's nothing I can do to explain it to her.

Edited by No Apologist

Best,

R and Y = Orange

If that is you in the avatar ..... cyber hug on the way

Wow, you all have amazing stories. Thank you for sharing.

This place is magical and it stays with you forever. I feel like the people in my neighborhood are a community.

I hope I can make it back someday on a permanent basis.

For what it's worth, OP, I'm leaving too in a couple weeks, after thinking of Thailand as home for 5 years. And, it breaks my heart as well.

For me, I've never worked in Thailand - but working legally in EU/UK for 4-5 months each year, spread out in short trips. But, I'm under 50. And, the last couple years, after first finding immigration completely encouraging of me living here...suddenly, I'm told each entrance that I'm a 'criminal' of sorts, for having developed close ties here as a result, and thinking of it as the place I want to support. People here are always saying how easy it is to get the 'right' visa; but if your circumstances are slightly unusual, or you're not a retiree or one of the few boxes they allow to be checked, immigration have become more like accusatory bigots. When I first came here, 5 years ago, they were begging me to have free, multiple entry visas as often as I wanted. I understand it's their country, etc. But, at least in my case and many of my friends, all they're doing is giving a hard time to people who want to support the economy and be a positive friend to their neighborhoods. Many, many people I know have had to leave recently.

If it really was 'Thailand' who felt that way - and not just angry old guys on TV, and I/O officers accusing me of things I haven't done - it would be easier to accept. But, all the Thai people I know, ask me to stay each day. I know they love me, and they know I love them. It's the government. It's immigration. It's xenophobia and distrust, completely disconnected from most Thai people, and becuase of the nonsense criminality of places like Pattaya, I think mostly.

I'm going to have to get used to life in the EU/UK/US again, full time - and, they all have their great people and aspects. But Thailand, for me, will always be the love that a xenophobic coup came between. My GF is heart broken, and there's nothing I can do to explain it to her.

nothing a short $50 flight would not fix. did you try that, or are you too lazy?

as for the immigration staff, they rarely spark up a conversation in my experience, and i'm ok with that.

nothing a short $50 flight would not fix. did you try that, or are you too lazy?

as for the immigration staff, they rarely spark up a conversation in my experience, and i'm ok with that.

Maybe they have something against them.

I didn't come to Thailand until 1997 and it was against my will, but once I was here it was love. I spent the following 14 years trying to get back full time and finally made it in 2011 and I will never look back. If I had to return to the U.S. now my heart would be broken. I can only hope that the OP makes it back here as soon as possible.