Why do some members start topics and then never come back to it?

rawhod

Over time, one knows some of the posters that continually ask questions and never come back and respond one way or the other or even a thanks! .... sad.png

Some may ask a question now, even when I may know the answer, I just don't bother to waste time responding with them any more. ...

I am sure there are many more like me, who just can't be bothered.

What exactly do you mean by "come back"?

I am notified of any replies to my post, or any that I have commented on, via my email and can read them there.

Yes, if I need to reply to a reply I must log in to TV to do so,

But many times, input, reaction, or advise is all I want, and get that just fine from my email account, without ever actually going t the original thread again.

So if people contribute to your post, and give valuable advice or information, you feel no obligation to thank them?

whistling.gif

Over time, one knows some of the posters that continually ask questions and never come back and respond one way or the other or even a thanks! .... sad.png

Some may ask a question now, even when I may know the answer, I just don't bother to waste time responding with them any more. ...

I am sure there are many more like me, who just can't be bothered.

I have noticed on another forum that I contribute to, that replies are quite rare. I think it's just part of the "modern" age that people have become selfish and ungrateful, not to mention rude. Many expect us to give them a great deal of information because they can't be bothered doing a search or using google, but never return.

If somebody solicits answers to a practical question, he should thank or at least dispense a like or two when he gets useful replies.

But if someone just starts a discussion (like the OP in this thread), I don't think he is under any obligation to chip in again, you assume he'll be reading everything. Happened to me also that I started a thread with a statement which generated a lot of replies, and soon people commented on me not posting again, so I felt kind of forced to reappear on the scene, though I didn't really feel the need to make any additional statements.

Thai visa is the only forum I ever joined. At first I thought a person simply posted something they wanted info about and waited for replies and no further comments were necessary or wanted. Took me about a year to figure out there was more to it than that.

Sometimes people who are in a vulnerable phase of their life are posting, seeking guidance for personal problems. I tend to admire their courage, exposing themselves so much in a public forum. But then the keyboard tigers pounce on them mercilessly, and soon they withdraw into their shell.

While I tend to agree with the above (nicely phrased, BTW), my lesser self has a different theory...

When I bake up an air biscuit on an aisle of a supermarket, I don't hang around so people associate me with it...

Looking at your post for the umteenth time, I now think your question is invalid.

You are assuming that just because an OP does not comment on his post after his original post he has abandon the post.

This is a false assumption.

It is very possible and likely that he checks the replies to his post, but does not comment on your replies.

Many replies are not worth commenting on!

Attempts at humor..

Drunken ramblings...

and those who try to morph any thread into something off topic that they want to discuss..

Why bother commenting on garbage?

This is a poor attempt at a troll post.

But look at how many replies you have received!

Feel better now?

It's one of my pet hates.

We take precious time out of our lives to help assist a stranger use a bum gun for ie, and they never return to say thanks.

It's just bloody common courtesy which is far and few these days.

I answer to threads that I find interesting generally because they make me formulate and order my ideas and opinions about a subject. I may have had a lot of experience in tree pruning, for instance, but sometimes a question takes me short and I have to think about it: why do we do it like that in Europe, and like this in Thailand? Posting an answer gets my 'brain' organised. I don't generally expect a response but it is interesting to change opinions.

Edited by cooked

There is a certain Swiss member who tends to post some of the more bizzare topics here, he rarely returns to the thread. I find that a blessing having struggled to understand what it was about in the first place.

What exactly do you mean by "come back"?

I am notified of any replies to my post, or any that I have commented on, via my email and can read them there.

Yes, if I need to reply to a reply I must log in to TV to do so,

But many times, input, reaction, or advise is all I want, and get that just fine from my email account, without ever actually going t the original thread again.

If you walked up to someone, asked them for help, or information, they answered you, would you then just ignore them and turn your back and walk away ? No, I would hope not as that would be very ignorant and rude. Why should a forum be any different.

In my opinion its reasonable and good manners to at least acknowledge the replies or response you get to your question, especially if it has helped you in some way.

Some people think it's their god given right to use people and ask for help,and then don't even give them a thank you or kiss my arse! put it down to poor up bringing,a thank you costs nothing!

and here we are 6 hours later and rawhod has not returned..............

Sorry...was at my wife's sisters yesterday.

this is a fine indicator of the forum attitude. I personally dont think 6 hours is a long time to be away from a topic or, better yet the forum entirely. i reckon to believe otherwise is actually quite sad.

life is far too short to take offense because somebody on here forgot to say thank you.

Post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.