i-mobile phones - firmware & Android updates?

Hoping the boffins here can help with a couple of questions

I have an i-mobile 5.5, bought 12 months ago on promo, very happy with it. Solid, reliable and cost was ridiculously cheap.

I'm curious as to whether there are firmware upgrades, and whether the Android version can be upgraded.

Also - can anyone tell me if this model can be rooted, whether it is worthwhile, and how to do it?

Thanks for any advice

i-mobile rarely issues firmware updates.

In fact, i-mobile recently repurposed their i-mobile "Update Checker" software to push ads in the notification area.

I did a quick google check for root on your i-mobile model but nothing root specific came up.

Doesn't mean there isn't one, could be one but only being discussed on one of the Thai forum boards. Same goes for updates. Sometimes one of the suppliers will leak firmware updates and the Thai message boards will discuss them and host the firmware files.

Another option is to try the XDA-Developers message boards. Framaroot multi-exploit is a broad spectrum root tool making the rounds working on many unpatched phones.

i-mobile rarely issues firmware updates.

In fact, i-mobile recently repurposed their i-mobile "Update Checker" software to push ads in the notification area.

I did a quick google check for root on your i-mobile model but nothing root specific came up.

Doesn't mean there isn't one, could be one but only being discussed on one of the Thai forum boards. Same goes for updates. Sometimes one of the suppliers will leak firmware updates and the Thai message boards will discuss them and host the firmware files.

Another option is to try the XDA-Developers message boards. Framaroot multi-exploit is a broad spectrum root tool making the rounds working on many unpatched phones.

Thanks Richcor, always appreciate your posts across the tech threads.

I had also googled and couldn't find anything model specific on XDA (first place I checked)

I need to go back into the phone and find out what the specific model name is, as I recall its not the same as the i-mobile model.

Found a few posts in Thai language using google translate, but instructions are not clear. Any translated Thai to English pages always end up hilariously warped on any site.

Will have a look at Framaroot, although I am not that confident without a specific model solution.

Haven't seen the pushed ads on my phone luckily

Towelroot and Framaroot came out as one-click solutions and were last updated in June 2014, so may be dated (more recent phones released with patches to the common exploits.

Many of the i-mobile handsets are available in other countries under different name brands, and they sometimes do firmware updates when i-mobile won't.

A lot of Android System Utilities will give you manufacturer/brand/device model info.

CPU RAM DEVICE Identifier

CPU-Z

Spec Device

Network Signal Pro

I've owned 2 i-mobile phones. IQ 5.1 and IQ X3.

I got firmware updates on both at i-mobile service centre in Pattaya.

They don't do Android updates.

Thanks. Yes, should have specified No Android OS Version updates. I-mobile has done updates on some models to correct glitches.

Firmware has many parts. Sometimes they find issues that need to be corrected to keep the phones running smoothly.

You need to check which Chinese factory actually made the phone.. Then scour the internet to find a custom ROM.. I found one on an Indonesian website.. The good thing about Mediatek chips it's extremely difficult to brick them the Mediatek software will revive them.. Also for root just check the chip set number.. Should be fine.

Google: download king root apk

Ensure your device will install from 3rd party applications and you can root your device without a PC.

The latest version is 4.0 and the process takes about 2 or 3 minutes after installing the apk (application). Hope this helps.

Hi bobbin,

Thank you for this info - I think there is an i-mobile service centre somewhere near me.

What changes (if any) were apparent upon getting the firmware updates for your phones? Was it worthwhile?

Was there a charge?

Cheers

Google: download king root apk

Ensure your device will install from 3rd party applications and you can root your device without a PC.

The latest version is 4.0 and the process takes about 2 or 3 minutes after installing the apk (application). Hope this helps.

Will have a look at this, thank you.

Some rooting beginner questions (from a virgin, Aussies will get the pun):

How do I know if I can root my device without a PC?

What should I be aware of before attempting this process? Backup contacts/files etc of course.

Do I then need to do a factory reset first before running the apk?

What exactly happens when you root a phone?

Sorry for the queries, just never rooted anything before (well not a mobile anyway)

Rooting is a security risk. You should have a definite purpose or reason in mind before even thinking about doing it.

Rooting your phone adds/activates a "root user" account to the device, which is required to make permanent live changes to the system files. The root user can do many things an ordinary user cannot, such as changing the ownership of files and making new software/hardware connections. Rooting your device also allows SuperUser functions where installed applications are allowed higher security clearance and privileges to act on your behalf.

Rooting your phone is a security risk.

If you install applications from untrusted sources, with root those applications can inspect and control your phone without your knowledge or consent.

Rooting can also give a tired phone new life, allowing you to make your own changes, from tweaking screen animation times, deleting baked-in apps, or even replacing the entire ROM Firmware with another version of the OS.

Because installing root account is a security risk, most phone manufacturers lock out the option. Each manufacturer has different methods of how they do this, sometimes it's even a different method for groups of a manufacturers phone.

Some 'rooting' can be straightforward, just adding a file or two to a memory card and rebooting the device adds the option back it.

Usually the manufacturers go to extremes to make sure it isn't simple. Individual hackers who want root have to look for 'exploits' (security holes) and take advantage of them to 'inject' code that will eventually allow the root account to be added/enabled. Some exploits require a second device, other exploits can be done on device by just downloading or installing an APK application file and installing it.

Factory resets are usually not needed, but it really depends on what's required to get root account installed on the device. So a backup of your critical files/info and/or special settings should be done just in case.

Again, as 'most' rooting is done by taking advantage of a known security exploit, what happens depends on the root process. Sometimes the phone just reboots after a few seconds and it's done. Other exploits require you an the phone to jump through hoops and provide information or make specific changes along the way. If you have a choice, look for a "one click" method (where the software gets installed, you launch the app, click a button in the app, the phone resets, and you follow the rest of the instructions.

There are MANY MANY MANY YouTube videos giving examples of how to accomplish root on varying versions of phones. Try watching a few of them. Get a feel for what the person has to do, the timing involved, and the reason they want Root.

iMobile phones are often sold as "Wiko" brand in Europe (other parts in the world)

My iMobile IQ 9.1, e.g. is absolutely identical to:

Wiko Darkside
Micromax Canvas Doodle 2 a240
Myphone Iceberg
BLU Life View

Check out this large "WIKO FORUM" (unfortunately in French, but Google translator does a good job)

PS: I've rooted mine with "Framaroot", this should work for the most (if not all) Mediatek SoC's

Edited by Turkleton

Hi bobbin,

Thank you for this info - I think there is an i-mobile service centre somewhere near me.

What changes (if any) were apparent upon getting the firmware updates for your phones? Was it worthwhile?

Was there a charge?

Cheers

There is no charge for the firmware updates.

The 5.1 took about 20 minutes to update. The X3 a little longer.

The 5.1 got a different camera interface, other than that I didn't see any differences. I assume the updates just smooth out any wrinkles that have become apparent after release. The X3 I don't know because I had it done right after I bought the phone. Tesco and the service centre were in the same mall.

(I like to buy from Tesco and BigC because you have 7 days to exchange a problem phone. After that, it's off to the service centre for 2-3 weeks. The small shops send you directly to the service centre.)

Rooting is a security risk. You should have a definite purpose or reason in mind before even thinking about doing it.

Rooting your phone adds/activates a "root user" account to the device, which is required to make permanent live changes to the system files. The root user can do many things an ordinary user cannot, such as changing the ownership of files and making new software/hardware connections. Rooting your device also allows SuperUser functions where installed applications are allowed higher security clearance and privileges to act on your behalf.

If you install applications from untrusted sources, with root those applications can inspect and control your phone without your knowledge or consent.

Rooting can also give a tired phone new life, allowing you to make your own changes, from tweaking screen animation times, deleting baked-in apps, or even replacing the entire ROM Firmware with another version of the OS.

Because installing root account is a security risk, most phone manufacturers lock out the option. Each manufacturer has different methods of how they do this, sometimes it's even a different method for groups of a manufacturers phone.

Some 'rooting' can be straightforward, just adding a file or two to a memory card and rebooting the device adds the option back it.

Usually the manufacturers go to extremes to make sure it isn't simple. Individual hackers who want root have to look for 'exploits' (security holes) and take advantage of them to 'inject' code that will eventually allow the root account to be added/enabled. Some exploits require a second device, other exploits can be done on device by just downloading or installing an APK application file and installing it.

Factory resets are usually not needed, but it really depends on what's required to get root account installed on the device. So a backup of your critical files/info and/or special settings should be done just in case.

Again, as 'most' rooting is done by taking advantage of a known security exploit, what happens depends on the root process. Sometimes the phone just reboots after a few seconds and it's done. Other exploits require you an the phone to jump through hoops and provide information or make specific changes along the way. If you have a choice, look for a "one click" method (where the software gets installed, you launch the app, click a button in the app, the phone resets, and you follow the rest of the instructions.

There are MANY MANY MANY YouTube videos giving examples of how to accomplish root on varying versions of phones. Try watching a few of them. Get a feel for what the person has to do, the timing involved, and the reason they want Root.

Thanks RichCor

The MANY MANY MANY YouTube videos :) ended up being the catalyst for me starting this topic - I had done various searches and watched a bunch of videos, and admittedly was a little overwhelmed. My field is website management and networking - as for rooting mobiles, I'm definitely clueless.

Your explanations above are about the most helpful I have seen so far on the interwebs, and have helped immensely - appreciate the time you took to post this

The one-click method is what I have been after - various sites have a a multitude of 'hoops' as you mentioned, and I was concerned I might F it up.

Onwards!

You forgot probably the main reason for rooting IMHO and that is to get rid of all the crap that the company like Samsung put on, i managed to deleted about 95 unnecessary apps and still the phone works excellent.

[...]

You forgot probably the main reason for rooting IMHO and that is to get rid of all the crap that the company like Samsung put on, i managed to deleted about 95 unnecessary apps and still the phone works excellent.

It was there, just politely worded. And you're right, most people wouldn't consider a 'baked-in app' as a negative thing, but call it 'crapware', 'bloatware', or pre-installed garbage the manufacturer agreed to include if they were paid then people instantly understand what's being discussed.

If these pre-installed unwanted apps are stored in the 'system' side of the device firmware then those original files can't be removed or modified in the usual way (they're 'protected' as being part of the system files). So gaining root privilege is the first step to cleaning them off your phone.

Rooting used to be more popular but android has improved over the years and most people are happy with what they receive out of the box ...well, except for some of the pre-installed garbage foisted upon us. 95 apps? Wow.

Edited by RichCor

[...]

It was there, just politely worded. And you're right, most people wouldn't consider a 'baked-in app' as a negative thing, but call it 'crapware', 'bloatware', or pre-installed garbage the manufacturer agreed to include if they were paid then people instantly understand what's being discussed.

If these pre-installed unwanted apps are stored in the 'system' side of the device firmware then those original files can't be removed or modified in the usual way (they're 'protected' as being part of the system files). So gaining root privilege is the first step to cleaning them off your phone.

Rooting used to be more popular but android has improved over the years and most people are happy with what they receive out of the box ...well, except for some of the pre-installed garbage foisted upon us. 95 apps? Wow.

95, i basiclly removed anything that said samsung on it or s, touchwiz, samusng keyboard, ant + stuff, knox, + all the pre installed stuff lik evernote etc, its almost bare bones now and i install the apps i want rather than what thet want me to install. its incredible if you install titanium backup and see what system apps are on there that are not needed