Step by step procedure. Buying land/house for your Thai child.

You are a Westerner.

You are married to a Thai and living in Thailand.

You have a young child together (say, around 5 yrs old) born in Thailand. The child has a Thai birth certificate and both Thai and Western passports.

You want to buy them a house in Thailand (land and house) using money that is in your Thai bank account.

What is the step-by-step procedure for going from agreeing a price with the real estate agent selling the property, to them owning the land and house with a court agreement stating that they cannot sell it until they are of age, using money that is in your Thai bank account.

1. Get a Land title deed

2. Amend it to your child's name at Land office. (lawyer recommended).

Or

1. Company setup (make 49% of shares for Westerner, 51% for Thai person(s)).

2. Get a Land title deed

3. Amend it to company name at Land office.

No need to have a court agreement - it is just a law based my personal knowledge.

If you really want to buy something for your kid's future, why not buy them property in your home country? Do you think they will have the best life growing up and being educated in Thailand? Or would they be better off educated in the West, able to earn Western wages, and then come to Thailand if it is their choice. I bought my child rental properties Florida. They have paid for themselves in rental monies since. He was able to live in one of them while going to school, and the rents from the others paid for his college. Now the rents pay for the mortgage, repairs, taxes and insurance and give him extra income while he works at Western wages here in Thailand. Best of all, the prices in Florida are cheaper than comparable places here in Thailand.

Pretty obvious why one would eant it in kid's name. Blood is thicker than

Never met a man who doesn't trust his Thai child but ....wwife another story.

I never bought my kids any property anywhere. I wasnt born with a silver spoon in my mouth and didnt want then to be either.

Step 1 seriously consider why you want to purchase property in a child's name. Not something you would do in Foreigner land.

Yes it is.

I'd ask why you wouldn't buy your offspring a house in your home country as soon as they old enough to own one (poor father?), but it would be off topic and pointless.

No need to answer or reply. :)

If you really want to buy something for your kid's future, why not buy them property in your home country? Do you think they will have the best life growing up and being educated in Thailand? Or would they be better off educated in the West, able to earn Western wages, and then come to Thailand if it is their choice. I bought my child rental properties Florida. They have paid for themselves in rental monies since. He was able to live in one of them while going to school, and the rents from the others paid for his college. Now the rents pay for the mortgage, repairs, taxes and insurance and give him extra income while he works at Western wages here in Thailand. Best of all, the prices in Florida are cheaper than comparable places here in Thailand.

Off topic, or posted in the wrong thread, or trolling.

Grumpy, don't act like Dopey, the topic is buying a house for your Thai child.

Presuming you are the โ€œlegalโ€ father, meaning married or having the documentation from aphor or Court, if you are going to be guardian.

A Guardian, either mum or you, will sign for the child until of legal age (20). Normally land cannot be sold before the child is of legal age, nor any contracts that the Land Office may consider being against the benefit for the child, so if you need any lease or usufruct or... then make them before transferring the land to the child; but check with a local experienced lawyer whatโ€™s best, locally as there may be difference in the way the Land Offices look at it from area to area.

Make all paperwork โ€“ like sales agreement โ€“ in the childโ€™s name and then go to Land Office to make the transfer of the land to the child. Transfer fee and tax have to be paid, normally buyer pays transfer fee and seller pays tax; no question asked about where money comes from (Thai bank account or...).

If itโ€™s village land โ€“ not Nor Sor 3 or Chanute โ€“ you cannot register at Land Office, but normally the villagers makes a Sales Agreement in front of Head of Village, who signs as witness. For Thai-villagers that is a โ€œlegalโ€ way to transfer land, but looked from a Western point of view, it may not seem very official. Some village land cannot be โ€œsold to third partyโ€, but only transferred within family.

Look at it as a childโ€™s saving, as you โ€“ the guardian โ€“ shall not expect to dispose of the property, and most Land Departments will not allow sale or transfer before the child is of legal age; therefore best to check with a lawyer about lease etc. before the land is transferred to the child.

For your info: I have done it for my daughter, so my experience is from a few years back, but to my knowledge rules have not changed.

Wish you good luck...smile.png

Step 1 seriously consider why you want to purchase property in a child's name. Not something you would do in Foreigner land.

Yes it is.

I'd ask why you wouldn't buy your offspring a house in your home country as soon as they old enough to own one (poor father?), but it would be off topic and pointless.

No need to answer or reply. smile.png

Are you seriously suggesting that fathers who don't buy their offspring houses when they are kids are poor?

Yes it is.

No need to answer or reply. smile.png

Your kid is only 5 so will not need their own residence I would think for at least another 15 years so the point is rather moot anyway. As for Westerners purchasing houses in their kids name, it dosnt happen that often. It seems your reason is for you to live in the house now not as a gift for your child. If you do will you be expecting to vacate the property when your child is old enough to make the decision or for them to le you live in THEIR property, maybe they would sell it?

Grumpy, don't act like Dopey, the topic is buying a house for your Thai child.

Incorrect.

The topic is listing the step by step procedure.

Your kid is only 5 so will not need their own residence I would think for at least another 15 years so the point is rather moot anyway. As for Westerners purchasing houses in their kids name, it dosnt happen that often. It seems your reason is for you to live in the house now not as a gift for your child. If you do will you be expecting to vacate the property when your child is old enough to make the decision or for them to le you live in THEIR property, maybe they would sell it?

Lists "the step-by-step procedure...." how?

(No need to waste space in trying to answer.) smile.png

Edited by Happy Grumpy

Presuming you are the โ€œlegalโ€ father, meaning married or having the documentation from aphor or Court, if you are going to be guardian.
A Guardian, either mum or you, will sign for the child until of legal age (20). Normally land cannot be sold before the child is of legal age, nor any contracts that the Land Office may consider being against the benefit for the child, so if you need any lease or usufruct or... then make them before transferring the land to the child; but check with a local experienced lawyer whatโ€™s best, locally as there may be difference in the way the Land Offices look at it from area to area.
Make all paperwork โ€“ like sales agreement โ€“ in the childโ€™s name and then go to Land Office to make the transfer of the land to the child. Transfer fee and tax have to be paid, normally buyer pays transfer fee and seller pays tax; no question asked about where money comes from (Thai bank account or...).
If itโ€™s village land โ€“ not Nor Sor 3 or Chanute โ€“ you cannot register at Land Office, but normally the villagers makes a Sales Agreement in front of Head of Village, who signs as witness. For Thai-villagers that is a โ€œlegalโ€ way to transfer land, but looked from a Western point of view, it may not seem very official. Some village land cannot be โ€œsold to third partyโ€, but only transferred within family.
Look at it as a childโ€™s saving, as you โ€“ the guardian โ€“ shall not expect to dispose of the property, and most Land Departments will not allow sale or transfer before the child is of legal age; therefore best to check with a lawyer about lease etc. before the land is transferred to the child.
For your info: I have done it for my daughter, so my experience is from a few years back, but to my knowledge rules have not changed.
Wish you good luck...smile.png

Good post, people thinking of buying their child property here will be interested.

"no question asked about where money comes from (Thai bank account or...)."

This seems to be one different aspect to people who buy a property for a Thai adult, or their wife buys their own house, they commonly have to declare that the money for the property is not from the Alien.

This doesn't seem to be the case when the property is being bought for a Thai child.

Also, I'm sure many people would be interested in the legalities of if the property can be rented or not?

Is it legal for the property to be rented? For example a 3 year rental contract, unless the contract is registered at the local Amphur I would guess that nobody would know or care, unless the legal guardian wishes against it.

Happy Grumpy said, "Incorrect. The topic is listing the step by step procedure."

My Dear Grumpy, just thought I would waste space. It seems you really don't understand. If the topic were merely to list the step by step procedure, I could have responded with dance moves or a cake recipe.

My Dear Grumpy, just thought I would waste space.

Yes, we all see you're a useless troll.

Congratulations.

I am quite pleased to see you think you speak for all people when you cannot even carry on an intelligible debate. Rest assured in your ignorance. You may have the last word.

Step 1 - Convince yourself that it's a great idea to spoil your child, and suggest that people who do not are either bad parents or poor.

Step 2 - Buy the land/house in their name.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

you cannot even carry on an intelligible debate.

Subforum: Real Estate, housing, house and land ownership.

Thread: List the step by step procedure for...

Why some posters that do not have the knowledge of such a procedure need to troll 'debate' off topic nonsense, is really only something that their innertroll knows.

Why some posters that do not have the knowledge of such a procedure need to troll 'debate' off topic nonsense, is really only something that their innertroll knows.

Is that really all you gathered by reading this subject? My grandpappy was right, you just can't argue with a duck; surely the duck will never understand.

Is that really all you gathered by reading this subject? My grandpappy was right, you just can't argue with a duck; surely the duck will never understand.

You obviously don't know the information that the OP requested. So what are you trying to argue about and why?

The OP is correct. You are a useless troll wasting space.

You obviously don't know the information that the OP requested. So what are you trying to argue about and why?

The OP is correct. You are a useless troll wasting space.

The OP was asking how to buy land/house for his child. Was he not? I simply suggested he do it somewhere else. How is this useless troll information? Here I am again trying to reason with a duck. Forgive me, I am through with this discussion.

Why on Gods Earth....would anyone still conspire to beat the thai system.......buying and building at 49/51 Is rough enouugh....but putting anything i. A childs name is nothing but the creation of a battelfield....that will allow the court to decide...and that court my dear idiot aint your friend and it sure as hell aint absolute in the application of thai law....

Step 1

You take the seller to the land office along with your wife and child and their documents.

Step 2

Prevent your wife from getting the land office to state 'not possible'.

Step 3

Get your wife to sign the Chanote agreeing to appoint you as property manager (and not her).

Step 2 and step 3 are quite hard, she won't be happy.

I've heard even buying property in your kids name which you can do from age zero, will still give the mother the rite to sell if you're not around until the child is 18 by memory.

At the land office the child has to show a distinguishing mark on their body (no I'm not joking) such as a birth mark to stop anyone else claiming they are your child. Be aware that birth marks like the Mongol birth mark can fade and disappear.

This info came from a Thai lawyer.

I want to do the same for my daughter but the thing I don't like is the mother being able to sell if she chooses. Not saying she would, but who knows what the future holds.

Property in your home country is probably a safer option and probably worth more in the long term.

A member suggested once if you do want Thai property as an investment is building a row of townhouses with a shop on the bottom of each one. Wouldn't be hugely expensive and each shops rent would be money in your kids pocket. Plus the living spaces above each shop for rent and a roof over your kids head. I liked the idea anyway.

Why on Gods Earth....would anyone still conspire to beat the thai system.......buying and building at 49/51 Is rough enouugh....but putting anything i. A childs name is nothing but the creation of a battelfield....that will allow the court to decide...and that court my dear idiot aint your friend and it sure as hell aint absolute in the application of thai law....

You have no idea.