Snorkelling And Diving Samui

Basil B

Ten days in Samui.

On my third day in Samui I took an excursion tour out to Angthong National Marine Park, for Kayaking, Sightseeing & Snorkelling, te Kayaking was easy and fun even though the heavens opened up and we all got extremely wet, sight seeing was a climb shear up hill to a hight of 80m to view of Tlay Nai, the emerald green lagoon on Mae Koh, after lunch we went to Koh Wua Ta Lap Island for a chioce of activities:

• A climb to the view point at the top of ko Wua Ta Lap Island a 500m steep climb up a nature trail following ropes.

• A hike to Bua Boke known as the Lotus Cave, a with it's stalactites and stalagmites

• More Kayaking

• Snorkelling

• Swimming

• Or just lazing about on the beach

I opted for Snorkelling, a big mistake, found the spot our guide had suggested, the vis was more than bad, some distance out I could feel my fins hitting obstacles under water but could see nothing so the tried to gauge the distance of visibility by looking down my out stretchered arm, I could not even see as far as my elbow, that was it, ended up just lazing around on the beach.

A few days later took a snorkelling trip out to Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan, First off was Koh Nang Yuan, A very beuteful island which is really 3 islands joined by 2 sand bars at the north west tip of Koh Tao, first thing no fins allowed on this island, well for the snorkellers anyway, our guide had indicated the best site to snorkel, unfortunately the very course sand and the way being blocked by hundreds of DSD's waiting there turn in the shallow waters, eventually found my way though only to find masses of DM's and Instructors towing DSD's two at a time out to deep water or towing them back again, just like the horror stories you hear of the Red Sea diving trips.

Once past these obstacles it was a short swim out to some corral that my guide had indicated, the water was crystal clear and very warm, the corral was teeming with fish and had an enjoyable time snorkelling around the corral, still not sure where the DSD's ended up or if they ever saw as much as I did?

Lunch on Koh Tao and round to the east side of the Island for some more snorkelling, again fantastic corral and much to see.

Well it had been two and a half years since my last diving and that kind of was a messy affair, with two short and aborted dives where I had considered giving up diving, but now I was hooked and my last two days on Koh Samui , first day diving was sail rock, 2 dives, absolutely fantastic.

Followed the next day with first dive at Chumphon Pinnacle and the second dive was the twins.

Unfortunately I only had my dive camera the first day diving as I failed to charge it properly over night, but just to add a few pictures from Sail Rock

post-20091-0-20524100-1431263141_thumb.j

post-20091-0-79516500-1431263197_thumb.j

post-20091-0-06886000-1431263234_thumb.j

post-20091-0-23376000-1431263272_thumb.j

post-20091-0-83822100-1431263296_thumb.j

It's been 10 years since my last dive which was on a live aboard in Similans (which I've done 4 times in total) . I recently moved to thailand (korat so not coastal unfortunately) but want to rekindle the pass time and wondered what diving was now like in thailand. I did dive on Ko Tao ,again a live aboard even longer ago so nice to see this summary especially as I have a friend in Samui whom I plan on visiting soon. Was this a day(s) trip or live aboard? I had come to the conclusion in the latter part of my diving hobby was that live aboard took you to places not accessible to day tours. Has anyone any recent experience of what has become of diving in Similans (I worry it is now spoiled) or any other guidance on diving and indeed snorkelling in thailand........it's been so long!

Speed Boat from Samui, it is a one and a half hour trip to Koh Tao each way, so pick up was about 7am in the morning, Sail Rock was classed as a half day trip, still two dives, back to hotel by 2pm, for Chumphon Pinnacle this was also a 7am pick up but back at hotel after 5pm.

If it is just diving then possibly think of staying on koh Tao, I assume the prices will be cheaper as they will not need to run speed boats.

It's been 10 years since my last dive which was on a live aboard in Similans (which I've done 4 times in total) . I recently moved to thailand (korat so not coastal unfortunately) but want to rekindle the pass time and wondered what diving was now like in thailand. I did dive on Ko Tao ,again a live aboard even longer ago so nice to see this summary especially as I have a friend in Samui whom I plan on visiting soon. Was this a day(s) trip or live aboard? I had come to the conclusion in the latter part of my diving hobby was that live aboard took you to places not accessible to day tours. Has anyone any recent experience of what has become of diving in Similans (I worry it is now spoiled) or any other guidance on diving and indeed snorkelling in thailand........it's been so long!

Always the Andaman side of Thailand, simply much better diving than the Gulf, year round.

just like the horror stories you hear of the Red Sea diving trips.

I connect this much more with Turkey than the Red Sea, and unfortunately also Koh Tao.

Nice looking photo's, glad you enjoyed your diving.

Archived