Billboards , Did you act on seeing one ?

The Big Mango

I have never bought anything seeing it advertised on a billboard. I think I basically

tune them out except for using them for landmarks before exits or turns I have

to make when driving.

Yesterday driving out of the airport I saw a billboard which really caught my attention. It implores readers to respect Buddha, not to use Buddha statues as decoration, and not to get Buddha tattoos.

thanks for clarifying that. I too have seen the that billboard ad [how can you miss it] and knew it was a manufactured boy band of some sort...so I guess the Vios is a car for the young uns if they are using a kiddy band to market it. mass manufactured bland 'band' selling a mass manufactured bland car.

Drove from the airport yesterday and at the end of the road was greeted by the smiling faces of the boys from One Direction. It made me immediately want to go out and buy a Toyota Vios!

Actually, of course, it didn't but what surprised me about this particular advert is how much of the target market would even recognise these guys? I assume it would be part of a worldwide sponsorship deal and their Bangkok show was partly sponsored by Toyota. However did seeing the billboard, my daughter's reaction actually make me look at the brand, in which case did it the desired effect on me? I don't know. But as people have pointed out, brand awareness is as important as anything else.

IMO. Billboards are a scourge upon the land.

If Thailand was really serious about promoting the country as a "idyllic tropical paradise" holiday/retirement destination, it would ban or restrict billboards.

Sometimes billboards do serve a useful purpose: hiding the piles of garbage strewn alongside most of Thailand's highways.

...using them for landmarks

Me too. I have a problem with taxi drivers who bring guests to my hotels,

1 - Written instructions in Thai that the passengers give to the drivers often don't work, (I found that many drivers cannot read Thai).

2 - Directions in English? See 1

3 - GPS co-ordinates? Most taxis do not possess a GPS and

4 - Verbal directions of 1, 2 or 3 by the passengers to the driver are no good - the driver loses face for being instructed and ignores the verbal directions

5 - Signs and arrows on lamp-posts? Nope, most drivers seem to have left their spectacles at home.

So I resort to baby-language directions, citing billboards and the size/colour of buildings.

'Drive down the road until you see the BIG white sign for Bahn 333 Condo. Turn left and look for the Batik Restaurant sign. Turn right and drive 200 metres until you see the big red 'Hotel' sign. If you manage to find the hotel without getting lost more than 3 times, then I have a BIG yellow candy lollipop for you....'

- English

...using them for landmarks

Me too. I have a problem with taxi drivers who bring guests to my hotels,

1 - Written instructions in Thai that the passengers give to the drivers often don't work, (I found that many drivers cannot read Thai).

2 - Directions in English? See 1

3 - GPS co-ordinates? Most taxis do not possess a GPS and

4 - Verbal directions of 1, 2 or 3 by the passengers to the driver are no good - the driver loses face for being instructed and ignores the verbal directions

5 - Signs and arrows on lamp-posts? Nope, most drivers seem to have left their spectacles at home.

So I resort to baby-language directions, citing billboards and the size/colour of buildings.

'Drive down the road until you see the BIG white sign for Bahn 333 Condo. Turn left and look for the Batik Restaurant sign. Turn right and drive 200 metres until you see the big red 'Hotel' sign. If you manage to find the hotel without getting lost more than 3 times, then I have a BIG yellow candy lollipop for you....'

- English

Thanks Simon. We can all find your hotel now.

Simon has Subliminal Advertising down to an art , thumbs up :-) 5555

No. no - I realised that the Mods would not approve, so my example gives directions to the local, short-time hotel giggle.gif

Oh hang on, that's the same place cheesy.gif