What Is Going On With Chang Beer?

why dont you check the dates on the bottles, determine when each was brewed?

Brew dates are printed on the cardboard 12-box, not on the bottle.

Buy a dozen (not the 3 and 6-pack) and you'll know.

sorry, dont drink chang, every beer i drink has brewed and expiry dates on the bottle or can

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love the idea of beer connoisseurs debating the taste of Chang. It's Thai beer, it all tastes of some variation of bugger all. Chuck some ice in it and get it down your neck.

SB, you nailed it! All just beer, not top shelf but drinkable, with ice even better!

Lao beer, now that's a different brew completely! Very nice!

How anyone can put ice in beer is beyond me, it completely kills the entire satisfaction of that wonderful fizz in the mouth! How to ruin a beer! A bit like having a dump in a glass of champagne!

given that we are discussing the lowest common denominators of thai beers, the comparison to champagne is somewhat spurious.

Gotta love the idea of beer connoisseurs debating the taste of Chang. It's Thai beer, it all tastes of some variation of bugger all. Chuck some ice in it and get it down your neck.

SB, you nailed it! All just beer, not top shelf but drinkable, with ice even better!

Lao beer, now that's a different brew completely! Very nice!

How anyone can put ice in beer is beyond me, it completely kills the entire satisfaction of that wonderful fizz in the mouth! How to ruin a beer! A bit like having a dump in a glass of champagne!

given that we are discussing the lowest common denominators of thai beers, the comparison to champagne is somewhat spurious.

why dont you check the dates on the bottles, determine when each was brewed?

Brew dates used to be ink jet printed onto the bottles, (I remember a few years back complaining to them about finding a plastic bag in a fresh bottle - but no response - it had brew info date and time and probably the line that it was bottled on, it was sprayed near the neck of the bottle) This is not printed anymore on the 6.0% bottles, and if you look closely at the bottom of the main label just under the flower with the red centre, there is a barcode. On my 6% bottles, this is made up of a tiny barcode cut out and stuck over the original label. 8 85 1993 616011 The 5.8% beer is a one complete label that cannot be peeled.

You are CORRECT! I just found it, it is printed on the label now rather than the bottle. Still makes little sense, I have 2 bottles brewed at 6% dated 14/02/15 at 07:10 and 14/02/15 at 07:14, then two bottles at 5.8% dated 21/04/15 at 15:45 and 06/04/15 at 14:36. Looks like the strong stuff is brewed in the morning!

hahaha!

Honestly its the only beer in Thailand thts keeps me smiling in the LOS

Give me a pint of Barley Wine any day ( gold top ) thumbsup.gif

Probably fallen on stoney ground.

I used to drink Gold Labels until I suddenly realised I was drinking them by the pint. They were 10.6% in those days.

I used to drink Gold Labels until I suddenly realised I was drinking them by the pint. They were 10.6% in those days.

I have a true story about gold Top. I was at my local pub one evening in Preston, two Germans from Dortmund were there,they started taking the piss out of

English beer,and said their beer was far stonger. Well i explained that what they were drinking was ale not beer,but we have much stronger beer than theirs.

So it went on and on blaa blaa blaa, I had a word with the barman,and he poured them each a pint glass of Gold Top ( i think it was about 3 bottles in each glass.

I said prost ( cheers ) They drank another two bottles each,and that was the end of them, I suppose you could of called them inebriated,,Sxxt faced

Does anyone really think the manufacturing tolerances are so tight that a 0.2% variation is a new experience?

yes ive been drinking Chang for 15 years.....trust me...0.2 you can taste the difference

Seconded. Definitely more "watered" and more "bubbly" is the best way I could describe the difference. 0.2 really does make a difference.

I have a true story about gold Top. I was at my local pub one evening in Preston, two Germans from Dortmund were there,they started taking the piss out of

English beer,and said their beer was far stonger. Well i explained that what they were drinking was ale not beer,but we have much stronger beer than theirs.

So it went on and on blaa blaa blaa, I had a word with the barman,and he poured them each a pint glass of Gold Top ( i think it was about 3 bottles in each glass.

I said prost ( cheers ) They drank another two bottles each,and that was the end of them, I suppose you could of called them inebriated,,Sxxt faced

Good one. You were right on the volume, barley wine was normally sold in 1/3 pint bottles, often known as 'nips'. I think it is only available in cans now with reduced abv to about 8%.

Ah there is so much misinformation in this thread...

Of course the date is printed on EVERY bottle, not only on the carton (they could sell you old stuff otherwise). It is printed right inside the HA of CHANG in the label in fine print, please check your bottles.

The alcohol content was reduced from 6.4 to 6.0% over a year ago. It has recently been (quietly) reduced to 5.8%, probably just in time for the tax hike on 1st of April.

I bought a bottle of Chang last night from a small shop and was surprised it still had 6.0%... all the ones in 7-11 have 5.8%. This bottle was brewed on 19th of February. The ones in 7-11 usually aren't older than a month or so.

So there is no 3 different Chang Classics, just more and more ripoffs by the billionaire who owns the brewery and the government annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG

Just wondering, are your the 7 hump wump of Mr Gump...?