Krabi's dream destination threatened

Thaivisa News

Krabi:- Garbage and wastewater problems are threatening Krabi’s status as a dream destination among Scandinavians.

A major tour agency based in Scandinavia has already complained about the problems directly with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

“Our office in Stockholm has received the complaint about how tourists are afraid of splashing in the sea because of wastewater,” Wiyada Srirangkul, who heads TAT Krabi Office, said on Tuesday.

She added that Scandinavian tourists, who have visited Krabi lately, were also unhappy with foul smell from garbage piles around tourist sites.

According to the agency, the problems have existed both in Ao Nang area and on Phi Phi Island.

“There are many cancellations of bookings. This has significantly affected Krabi's tourism,” Wiyada said, “Scandinavians have high purchasing power and they usually make a long stay”.

Krabi’s tourism may face even bigger impacts soon. Many other tour agencies have now planned to inspect the province’ tourist sites after hearing about the problems.

“They will come around the middle of May. So, we have to solve the problems fast,” Wiyada said.

Europeans, particularly Scandinavians, are the main tourist group in Krabi. If they stop coming, the southern province will definitely suffer a big blow.

TAT has already raised this issue with Krabi governor, who vows to stop the discharge of wastewater into the sea and improve garbage collection.

Wiyada said she would also ask for help from various agencies in a bid to solve these big problems.

Same thing on Koh Chang. Every toilet from 1500 nearby rooms flushed right into the klong that emptied on a half-mile of otherwise pristine beach.

It's amazing that any city official can believe raw sewerage (for non-native English speakers, that means $hit) can be flushed directly into the waters they advertise worldwide as pristine diving ground, and no one is going to notice.

Well, people are noticing.

With the power of the internet, Thailand will either quickly change its ways, or suffer serious economic damage.

Krabi is no different than many other places here. :Local officials don't see any baht in it for themselves in infrastructure improvements, so " no need" to spend money on useless projects like wastewater treatment, better public facilities etc. No money in it for them...................

Not just the high end officials to blame,i am in Koh Chang at present,last week i took a walk down the boat pier at Bang bao bay,near where i am staying, a look over the edge at low tide,showed a mass of floating styrofoam containers,that the vendors from the shops along the pier have obviously tossed over the side,add,empty bottles all manner of plastic bags,vegetable refuse ect,the tide changes and the stuff floats off,a lot of it to wash up on the beach where i am staying at klong khoi,the whole Thai mentality regarding refuse needs adressing,where i live in Petchabun is worse,there is a large bin outside my wife's shop,yet many of them persist in throwing wrappers etc on the ground,it needs a massive education programme in schools on the television,before the country literally buries itself in Garbage.

You have to stop and think why Thais are such pigs when it comes to trash. The amount scattered around the country and the water is so much it makes me sometimes think that perhaps the mindset is that a little more wont even be noticed. When I lived up country I only needed to take a few steps up the road before the trash started. Go away for a few days and even the front of my place had trash littered around so I guess it is all about education.

I would like to propose to the PM ( hahaha... Ya right) one morning for a few hours a month being "Clear our Country Day". Schools, businesses, police, the army etc goes out along the streets and beaches and picks up trash. After a few months the place might start to look better and also the people who was picking up the trash might start to take notice to those who are littering and stand up against it.

Has anyone else noticed that it's damn near impossible to find a trash bin in ANY of the malls? I'm speaking of Chiang Mai, so no experience in other places, but I can't count the number of times I've walked around for over an hour, looking for a trash bin for the wrapper of the food, or empty water/soda bottle in my hand. Finally, at Kae Suan Kaew, they put small ones (like I keep under my desk here at home) by the escalators, but that's it. In the new relatively new Central mall, I've yet to find one. Just what is it with the "trash mentality" of Thai?

I put this mindset to just throwing garbage anywhere as an evolution thing. Thailand used to do everything with biodegradable things, Everything from palm leaves to bamboo. When they were finished with it just throw somewhere out of the way.It would decompose and life went on. Using this same mentality now just doesnot work. Also it will never change as long as those polluting are still making a profit. Money comes first in everything.

Has anyone else noticed that it's damn near impossible to find a trash bin in ANY of the malls? I'm speaking of Chiang Mai, so no experience in other places, but I can't count the number of times I've walked around for over an hour, looking for a trash bin for the wrapper of the food, or empty water/soda bottle in my hand. Finally, at Kae Suan Kaew, they put small ones (like I keep under my desk here at home) by the escalators, but that's it. In the new relatively new Central mall, I've yet to find one. Just what is it with the "trash mentality" of Thai?

No garbage cans used to bother me too. I used to take my garbage home and throw away there when I couldnot find a bin to put it in,and that was most of the time. Now I have given up,I just donot care anymore. Its their country and now I practice the principle of " When in Rome be a Roman" I just put my garbage beside garbage already on the street. Not my problem so I live with it so it does give me grief.

They will come around the middle of May. So, we have to solve the problems fast, Wiyada said.

No problem, build a sewage treatment facility and feeder system along with a modern, sustainable waste disposal plan and educate the masses to use it in less than a month. Sounds realistic to me.

Same thing on Koh Chang. Every toilet from 1500 nearby rooms flushed right into the klong that emptied on a half-mile of otherwise pristine beach.

It's amazing that any city official can believe raw sewerage (for non-native English speakers, that means $hit) can be flushed directly into the waters they advertise worldwide as pristine diving ground, and no one is going to notice.

Well, people are noticing.

With the power of the internet, Thailand will either quickly change its ways, or suffer serious economic damage.

But that kind of mental illness (you must be mental ill if you believe someone want to swim in his own $hit) is not Thai related......The usual scuba boats (didn't try in Krabi but many other destinations) owned by European or American flush direct into the sea as well.

So you pee first and than you dive into it and with luck you see the bigger thing someone left in the toilet.....At some boats they even told "Don't $hit" at the dive site, but no one gets the idea to install a tank which is standard in many other countries.

At for the hotels, even a small waste water treatment which is in no way good enough improves the situation a lot. Just a 2x4x2 meter anaerobic and a equal sized aerobic pool + remove all the solid particle helps a lot and it can be built without much skills

at MEGA BANGNA there are not only trash bins next to almost every escalator, they even provide SEPERATE trash bins for paper / glasses and cans / plastic / general trash.

the attitude of the Mall operator is what counts. CENTRAL GROUP indeed has a very poor attitude when it comes to that, according to my own experience. the huge BIG C Hypermarts / Malls are not much better

at MEGA BANGNA there are not only trash bins next to almost every escalator, they even provide SEPERATE trash bins for paper / glasses and cans / plastic / general trash.

the attitude of the Mall operator is what counts. CENTRAL GROUP indeed has a very poor attitude when it comes to that, according to my own experience. the huge BIG C Hypermarts / Malls are not much better

Wow, that has to be a first for Thailand. In all my years here, I have never seen the multiple trash bins you describe. All I have ever seen, when I could actually find one, was the single bin. I did finally figure out that the most likely place to find a bin was by the escalator. cheesy.gif

Go away for a few days and even the front of my place had trash littered around so I guess it is all about education.

Let's face it. The only "education" that worked back home was hefty fines for violating litter laws. I suspect it won't be any different in Thailand, except they're a little behind in enforcement.

I'm old enough to remember the absolute piggish behavior before there were heavily enforced litter laws back in the USA. And some of my countrymen still leave appalling garbage in the wake of their outdoor activities, even today.

I always contend it's all about consequences. When the powers decide that the consequences of leaving their trash where it lands exceed the consequences of collecting it and disposing it properly, things will change.

I'm surprised they haven't snapped to the fact that litter and sewage strewn beaches are very detrimental to tourist arrivals and spending. Never mind the quality of life for the locals...

Not just the high end officials to blame,i am in Koh Chang at present,last week i took a walk down the boat pier at Bang bao bay,near where i am staying, a look over the edge at low tide,showed a mass of floating styrofoam containers,that the vendors from the shops along the pier have obviously tossed over the side,add,empty bottles all manner of plastic bags,vegetable refuse ect,the tide changes and the stuff floats off,a lot of it to wash up on the beach where i am staying at klong khoi,the whole Thai mentality regarding refuse needs adressing,where i live in Petchabun is worse,there is a large bin outside my wife's shop,yet many of them persist in throwing wrappers etc on the ground,it needs a massive education programme in schools on the television,before the country literally buries itself in Garbage.

It is already buried in garbage. I need a boat to get to the shop nowadays, peddling on the plastic and other garbage...

The last (can't remember where) separate trash bins were all equal full with a complete mix of things....no one cared if paper or glass or general sad.png

The last (can't remember where) separate trash bins were all equal full with a complete mix of things....no one cared if paper or glass or general sad.png

Yup, some of the bigger gas stations have yellow, green, blue and maybe other coloured bins. People just throw anything anywhere... I as a falang tried to read what was supposed to go where (in thai) but the fluent readers couldn't give a <deleted>.

Thought this may have been about a different but related topic.

Trash and wastewater will be a minor concern compared to more toxic pollution if the plans for a huge new coal powerplant go ahead....

Daily tankers passing close by national marine parks and dive sites and fumes pumping into the air, perfect way to kill a tourist destination!

I visited Ao Nang in Krabi last year and was simultaneously fascinated and disgusted with the rapidly flowing stream of raw sewage pouring alongside and right out into the main beach. Fascinating because of the many monkeys frolicking in the stream of sewage, and also the number of tourists seemingly unaware or unalarmed and happily swimming in the same muck washing up on the beach. I wouldn't have even stuck my toes in that water but I guess that's just me. I shall not be returning to Ao Nang.

They will come around the middle of May. So, we have to solve the problems fast, Wiyada said.

No problem, build a sewage treatment facility and feeder system along with a modern, sustainable waste disposal plan and educate the masses to use it in less than a month. Sounds realistic to me.

Too Late Mate. Now what ?

Too Late Mate. Now what ?

Put everyone on a low fiber diet while the group is here, dig some holes in the woods at least 100 meters from the beach, and hope it doesn't rain...

In other words, put some lipstick on the pig during the tour.

After I watched the video "Evil man from Krabi" made by the a girl's father appealing for just for his daughters rape...

I crossed Krabi off my to do list.

Google the title.

Sorry a bit off topic but you have to consider all facts before travelling to these Islands

I visited Ao Nang in Krabi last year and was simultaneously fascinated and disgusted with the rapidly flowing stream of raw sewage pouring alongside and right out into the main beach. Fascinating because of the many monkeys frolicking in the stream of sewage, and also the number of tourists seemingly unaware or unalarmed and happily swimming in the same muck washing up on the beach. I wouldn't have even stuck my toes in that water but I guess that's just me. I shall not be returning to Ao Nang.

I went to Ao Nong two years ago. It seemed a nice change of pace. It had a little nightlife, good local scenery with the limestone cliff, beach looked nice. I got there and went swimming just once. The sea floor was very slimey. I hoped it was just natural silt and leave runoff. railey beach around the point had a sandy bottom that felt like sand and looked ok. Sorry Ao Nong. I loved the little restaurants and the ferry from Phuket was a beautiful ride. But the water, yech

It sounds like the islands are over developed with no infrastructure to reduce waste water and sewerage if this is not addressed they will end up like jomtien the beach is so dirty it makes you sick just looking at it , TAT will find it difficult to get their figures as tourist will only come to Thailand once/

Archived