Swiss Embassy London no complaints

collected the Wife's Schengen (Spouse) visa from the Swiss Embassy in London yesterday was pretty impressed with the service.

The Embassy has a 9.30 to 11.30 window for applications without an appointment so we decided the Wife would take a chance and travel off peak (£18.50).

Arrived Paddington 10 am Friday took a taxi (1 mile £5.40) done and dusted 11.05 am passport ready for collection Tuesday.

• Like 1

Good to hear.

I assume the visa was free (as it should be)?

What about documentation (marital papers + ID of both you + indication from you that she joins you to Switserland should be enough)?

Is there an option to have the passport sent by courier?

Edit: Where are my manners?! Enjoy your holiday! :)

Edited by Donutz

Good to hear.

I assume the visa was free (as it should be)?

What about documentation (marital papers + ID of both you + indication from you that she joins you to Switserland should be enough)?

Is there an option to have the passport sent by courier?

Edit: Where are my manners?! Enjoy your holiday! smile.png

Yes no charge from the Embassy although I did think the website try's to push you towards using the services of VFS global.

I would not be surprised if some individuals go to VFS instead of directly to the Embassy, not an issue if you live a long way from London and one of VFS other offices is closer for the individual.

Downloaded the form directly from the website and supplied the following documentation.

Wife's passport

My passport

our British marriage certificate

our BA flight reservations

A letter of invitation from the Friends we will be staying with, although they did not require this last document from us the Wife did get the impression that other people were asked for it.

Strictly speaking the form said you didn't need the invite but the website did suggest it would be preferred (I think it's a good idea to have it)

We didn't asked about courier options, you would hope this is an option but as I work in London it was easy for me to pop in and collect it for free.

Last time we need to do this the Wife becomes a British Citizen on the 2nd of June.

• Like 1

As my wife and I are going to the UK this Summer, I thought I'd apply for a Schengen and visit Spain or France. She has a 5 yr UK & 6 yrs of US visas left on her passport.

The process looks too complicated:

I have to have my Thai marriage Cert authenticated by the money-grabbers at BKK Embassy;

Travel/medical Insurance from an approved list in Thailand;

An itinerary which, as yet, doesn't exist as I thought I'd just get a cheap package in September when the schools re-open;

Air tickets provisionally booked;

Any other complications?

I think I'll just save my Euros until it gets easier for a UK National to take his wife on the continent.

See my reply here (a mod may wish to move them to this topic?): http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/824911-schengen-visa-for-thai-gf/?view=getnewpost

What you write does not comply with EU spouse applications so you either misread or were misinformed by the staff/site. And insurance (only required for regular visa applicants) can be from any European company or indeed from a selected list of Thai companies.

As my wife and I are going to the UK this Summer, I thought I'd apply for a Schengen and visit Spain or France. She has a 5 yr UK & 6 yrs of US visas left on her passport.

The process looks too complicated:

I have to have my Thai marriage Cert authenticated by the money-grabbers at BKK Embassy;

Travel/medical Insurance from an approved list in Thailand;

An itinerary which, as yet, doesn't exist as I thought I'd just get a cheap package in September when the schools re-open;

Air tickets provisionally booked;

Any other complications?

I think I'll just save my Euros until it gets easier for a UK National to take his wife on the continent.

The marriage certificate should have been authenticated by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs for a Schengen visa. One certified by the BKK embassy will not do (didn't know they authenticated them anyway). Not 100% convinced that under EU law any proper marriage certificate would not do. This might have to be tested in court though!

No requirement for travel insurance but is a good idea of course!

No itinerary required.

No requirement to book tickets in advance.

No invitation letter required.

No need to go through any agency or use premium rate phone numbers.

You are entitled to turn up at a border and on presentation of the required paperwork, let in without delay. No good if the carrier (airline or ferry) refuse to take the non-EU citizen in case entry is refused at the other end.

A bit of a hassle, made more complicated by a few countries unwilling to follow the rules but otherwise not complicated. Most of the boxes on the application form do not need to be filled in as long as the applicant travels with or travels to the EU spouse.

It will only get easier when 'the wife' gets a British passport!

Edited by bobrussell

Excellent summary Bob and spot on if you change "The marriage certificate should have been authenticated by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs" into "The marriage certificate might have been authenticated by The Ministry of Foreign Affairs" as it's up to the embassy if they require fancy stamps or if they can do without them to verify authenticity. Ofcourse if you have no marital papers you can try other evidence and the embassy should consider this.

I posted this earlier today, TheOldGit will add this post as an appendix to the FAQ soon (he has to finish a Crash Course Surgery For Dummies first): http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/825185-appendix-traveling-with-thai-family-member-and-eu-national/

Edited by Donutz